DR. Sears says no groups or daycare for non-vaxers for 2 years!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so stuck. in. my. head. It really bothers me, i'm scared to put him in childcare now but there is atleast one time per week where this would really benefit me and my family. I want to do what's best for my son. He is BF for most of his calories at this point (he's 10mos.) so I feel good about that. He is around children often. He's been sick 3Xs already twice with a cold this past winter and then most recently he had something with a high fever (103+) not sure what that was.

What do you all think about this line of thinking?
#2 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Honestly, I don't buy it. My children have healthy, functioning immune systems. Those immune systems get stronger when exposed to germs through normal social interaction. We've done near-daily playgroups and activities since my oldest was 4 months old. They hardly ever get sick.
#3 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
EVC

Dd has been in day care since she was 10 months old. She is now almost 5 and as healthy as a horse.

Don't get me wrong--she has had her share of daycare germs, but in our experience, the majority of daycare related illnesses aren't things that are vax'ed for anyway. Just lots of winter colds and runny noses.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rubbish. Unless you plan to keep your child in a bubble with little to no contact with anyone but a family member, I think this advice is silly.

My almost 2.5 yo son has been in daycare since he was 3 months old.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM

I think it's superstitious nonsense. By that logic, vaccine-free children should stay out of public entirely for two years. Children don't just exist in daycares and play groups, you know. Sounds like a scare tactic to me.

I was doing Mommy & Me Pilates and yoga classes when DS was just a few months old and never had a problem. We went to parks, children's museums, play dates, and countless other places where children interacted and shared toys. I never gave his vaccine-free status a second thought. Plenty of childhood illnesses aren't on the vaccine schedule, but somehow vaccinated kids' parents aren't warned to keep them home so they don't catch, say, Coxsackie A or scarletina before age two.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Oops! I put my six month old unvaxed son in daycare 2 1/2 years ago.

He's still in the same daycare and he's never had anything worse than a stomach virus.
#7 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM

For the most part I liked his book, but that is unnecessary fear-mongering on his part.

#8 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Ridiculous! I have four un-vaccinated children and they've survived library, church nurseries, tumbling classes, play groups etc etc. I will not live my life in fear.

:
#9 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Good Lord! My now 6 year old has never had a sick visit and has not only been through preschool and YMCA classes since infancy, but has been back and forth on a plane to Egypt.

Scare tactics...nothing but rubbish

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#10 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Honestly, I don't buy it. My children have healthy, functioning immune systems. Those immune systems get stronger when exposed to germs through normal social interaction. We've done near-daily playgroups and activities since my oldest was 4 months old. They hardly ever get sick.
I agree. We don't have playgroups here, but in the past we have gone to them in other places we lived, plus tons of interactions with other kids and vaxed people-at the store, doc offices, playplaces, museums, zoos, peoples houses, etc. It seems hilarious to think of them being isolated for 2 years!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Insane. DS2 has been going to playgroup w/ me and ds1 since he was just a couple wks old. He had a UTI at 2wks old and was hospitilized for that. And he's had croup once or twice (the first time I took him in, the 2nd I didn't bother - I knew what it was DS1 didn't see a doc between 9 months and 3 yrs - and we started playgroup ~17 or so months old. He didn't see a doc cause' I didn't (still don't really) get the point of well-checks (why take a HEALTHY child in to a place full of SICK people?!?! WHY!?!?!), and I figured he'd be sick eventually and we'd go say 'hi' Only... its never happend. He went in at 3 for a physical for preschool
#12 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Our DD has not had 1 vax and I never kept her away from groups. I've been a SAHM (now homeschooling) since day 1 so she's never been in extended childcare; but we have been very social since she was a newborn. She nursed until she was almost 4 yo.

Some winter seasons she had lots of colds and some high fevers, and has always been an active girl who got lots of scrapes and bruises so I think her immune system has had a lot of "exercise" over the years. She had roseola at a young age. I don't think I've ever seen her down for more than a day. If she gets a fever, it'll spike real high and about 24 hrs later she's fine. Honetly, it seems nothing keeps my DD down.
#13 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM

I never kept ds away from groups.I brought him everywhere,and he has heart defects which led to open heart surgery at 10 weeks old.I kept him home until he healed and that was it.No daycare,but plenty of interaction with other people.He's a healthy 9yo now.I did the same with dd,except she was vaxed until I knew better,when she was about 2.5yo,her brother has had one hep b,which was forced on us.Dd's a very healthy 12yo now.They've had their share of viruses,but never anything serious.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#14 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I feel like he perpetuates this notion that vaccines are like a suit of armor around a child.

#15 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Vaccinations do not improve overall health and much of what is passed around daycare are not VADs.

Also, my dd's normal sick temp is 102 and ds' (partially vaxed) is 104.

Dr. Sears on fever http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#16 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 PM

While you're keeping your DC home so he/she does't get sick. Make sure that no one else in the family goes anywhere, either...and don't let people come to your house. LOL

Daycares are not the only place to get sick (as was mentioned before). My DD is in school and would bring nice little bugs home (colds, etc...nothing major). I don't believe in living in a bubble. Just another fear tactic..."Get your kids vaccinated, folks, or you'll have to stay home all day with your child until the age of 2."
#17 of 24 Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM

what about protecting them from the dozens of vaccines kids get at that age that might be contagious (live vaccine / modified live?)?
#18 of 24 Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, i do feel encouraged. this whole vaccine thing is so controversial on both sides. you listen to either camp and it sounds right. i mean i like DR. Sears for the most part and i think he genuinely believes in the vaccines. i am a new mom and overprotective so i tend to worry a lot about whether we are making the right decision regarding our choice not to vax. i mean God forbid the unmentionable happened. being a parent is tough.
#19 of 24 Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Where does he say this? If he says this, he's become, in my mind, a shill for the vaccine companies.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#20 of 24 Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Daycares may be a cesspool of germs , but an unvaxed child has a stronger immune system that has not been assaulted by a lot of unnatural viruses shot directly into their bloodstream which leaves an immune system virtually powerless, sooooooooooooo, I believe that an unvaccinated child is more likely to be able to fight off a common cold or any other germ they may pick up in any place, including daycare. True, vaccinated children may put our unvaccinated children at risk if our kids are exposed to the viruses shed from a vaccinated child (fecal matter, etc) directly after being vaccinated, but we can't live in a bubble. We can keep their immune systems strong through exposure to fresh air, good foods, and avoiding refined sugar and there shouldn't be any need to worry.
Is his thought that unvaxed children are more likely to pick up ANY sickness (which means he buys into the notion that vaccinations strengthen the immune system) ... or is he saying that vaccinated children are placing our unvaxed children at risk because of the vaxed children shedding the virus, and therefore we should avoid contact with them, or is he implying that by our lack of vaccination we are "putting vaccinated children at risk"? (which doesn't make any sense but I hear people use this all the time! ) (I haven't read his thoughts on vaccination so I'm not sure what he's getting at.)
#21 of 24 Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
what about protecting them from the dozens of vaccines kids get at that age that might be contagious (live vaccine / modified live?)?
Yes, not to mention vaccines that are supposedly "dead" when injected, but are found live in fecal matter even weeks later!
#22 of 24 Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_mommy View Post
Yes, not to mention vaccines that are supposedly "dead" when injected, but are found live in fecal matter even weeks later!
umm. I don't think that is the case except with live virus vaccines that shed.

If you have some evidence that live virus is found in fecal matter after injection with a dead vaccine, would you post it? I would love to add that to my resources!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#23 of 24 Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 AM

Dr. Sears does not go far enough in his advice IMO for the most part, he is still indoctrinated to the pharma industry. It is best to take your children out when they are still exclusively breastfed, vaxed or not... this way they can be exposed to germs while still receiving the good protection magic of mother's milk... daycare is no place for children though, IMO, but that is a different thread. Work opposite shifts with your partner if at all possible to avoid outside child care.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#24 of 24 Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
Dr. Sears does not go far enough in his advice IMO for the most part, he is still indoctrinated to the pharma industry. It is best to take your children out when they are still exclusively breastfed, vaxed or not... this way they can be exposed to germs while still receiving the good protection magic of mother's milk... daycare is no place for children though, IMO, but that is a different thread. Work opposite shifts with your partner if at all possible to avoid outside child care.

Huh? What's wrong with daycare? just curious?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page