Thoughts on this WC article... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey! My cousin in law just posted this article on his facebook page. I'm curious about your thoughts. I'm not going to get into any arguements with him or even respond, but I'm just waiting for the day when he confronts me face-to-face about putting other children at risk for not vaccinating my son. Here's the article:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129198775

Thanks!!!

Hethir
#2 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
They lost me here...

Quote:
Deadly Whooping Cough, Once Wiped Out, Is Back

It was never wiped out. There have been plenty of threads around here lately about how it cycles every 5 years or so. This year happens to be the high year of that cycle.

Also the pertussis part of DTaP does not prevent transmission of the disease nor does it make one immune to the disease. It's purpose is to decrease the effects of the disease on the body if one gets it.

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...nes-work/dtap/

ETA: When they say it went away "decades ago" when they came out with the vaccine, I assume they mean the DPT which came out in the 1940's. Considering my mother was born in the 50's and remembers all of her siblings getting it and also my husband who was born in the 70's and was given the DPT and had major reactions to it, including still getting a bad case of whooping cough, I have a hard time believing that it was ever "wiped out".
#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

According to the CDC, recorded cases have never gone below 1000.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.pdf
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
EVC

Quote:
Many adults are not even aware that they should get one every 10 years.
Ah, but you can bet they will be soon!!!!

Quote:
In the background, he says, parents see a frightening increase of autism, coupled with reports of a potential link to vaccinations.
So tired of this cliched explanation of non-vaxing....The only surprise is that they didn't resort to tired out mentions of Wakefield and "former Playboy bunny" (whatever it is that they always feel the need to label her as in a subtle effort to discredit her intellect) Jenny McCarthy....

Oh, those silly parents who are
Quote:
very busy, working hard, working double jobs — it's really a burden to have to be a parent and then also have to be a biochemist, to read the literature and decide what vaccines are good and what vaccines aren't good,"
So they just listen to celebrity sound bites and internet hysteria to get their medical advice. Scoff!

OK, so back to the headline:

Quote:
Deadly Whooping Cough, Once Wiped Out, Is Back
Sorry. The vaccine does NOT prevent transmission, so whooping cough was never "wiped out." What whooping cough was was regularly misdiagnosed (as bronchitis, etc). No one bothered testing people with chronic severe cough because, hey, the vaccine wiped out whooping cough, right? Wrong. If anything, the good news is that with more people opting out, doctors (despite being a bit misguided on the why) are actually starting to suspect and test for whooping cough in greater numbers, rather than just giving a cursory exam and quick misdiagnosis followed by inappropriate treatment.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
"They're very busy, working hard, working double jobs — it's really a burden to have to be a parent and then also have to be a biochemist, to read the literature and decide what vaccines are good and what vaccines aren't good," he says.
(Bolding mine)

Uh... did he actually just say that? Does he realize what he said???

And yes, this is *the* Dr. Karp.
#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM

I read this article as it was posted to Facebook. It's another guilt trip in my opinion. "We, as non vaccinators will be responsible for infant deaths." Ridiculous! We are never given the full story. As a non vaccinator in a non vaccinated community, I'm very careful and considerate when I feel that my son might be contagious. When we're allowed to raise our children instinctively we know when they are coming down with something early. Furthermore, how much would long term breastfeeding prevent extreme reactions to illness. Were the infants mentioned breastfed? There's so many factors that are never considered when this topic comes up.
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Well, how about we try this. I raise my non-vaccinated children my way and everyone else can raise their children theirs. Twenty years from now, or maybe even sooner since we have so many chronically ill children today - we'll see how that's working out for them. You can add me on Facebook, I post controversial articles all the time. I don't care who reads them. : )

Name : Rachel Loth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page