Series of shots question - alert- confusing question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

There was a post on here about being worried during the day about vaxing and then at night being more worried about NOT vaxing that I could relate with 100%. So I have this question that I hope I word correctly - my background is that I started doing the Dr. Stephanie Cave’s delayed vax schedule at age 4 months for my son, did his 2nd DTaP shot at 5 months and then stopped all together though I still go to the Wellness visits, etc. My son is now coming up on his 2 year old Wellness visit and I have a question for the Pedi but do not know how to word it….My question is at what age would I not pursue a series of shots (in this case lets use DTaP) due to age of child? Translation: my son got the first two DTaP vax’s but obviously not the last two so does a Pedi say to catch up even though the child is past the “risk” point (infant) and/or if the shots series is not done during the CDC schedule (in this case 2,4,6 months) then would the other 2 shots be worthless?

What I am trying to do is come up with an explanation to defend my position on non vaxing b/c I know the Pedi will ask me again have I thought about it and the answer is “Yes, I think about it EVERY day”. I hope this comes across as trying to learn why I would go back in time if my child is past the “recommended schedule”. I have for a time kept my sanity by thinking inwardly “The risks outweigh the benefits of not vaxing”. But I worry.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like rotavirus and hib are the only 2 that are specifically for little infants- which I could see the pedi not bothering about.

You can skip one dose if they are vaccinated after age 4

Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP).
◦The fifth dose is not necessary if the fourth dose was administered at age 4 years or older

They're pushing for teens & adults to have tetnus diptheria and pertussis shots.

Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap). (Minimum age: 10 years for Boostrix and 11 years for Adacel)
◦Administer at age 11 or 12 years for those who have completed the recommended childhood DTP/DTaP vaccination series and have not received a tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (Td) booster dose.
◦Persons aged 13 through 18 years who have not received Tdap should receive a dose.
◦A 5-year interval from the last Td dose is encouraged when Tdap is used as a booster dose; however, a shorter interval may be used if pertussis immunity is needed.

hope that answered your question

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKL View Post
Hi,

There was a post on here about being worried during the day about vaxing and then at night being more worried about NOT vaxing that I could relate with 100%. So I have this question that I hope I word correctly - my background is that I started doing the Dr. Stephanie Cave’s delayed vax schedule at age 4 months for my son, did his 2nd DTaP shot at 5 months and then stopped all together though I still go to the Wellness visits, etc. My son is now coming up on his 2 year old Wellness visit and I have a question for the Pedi but do not know how to word it….My question is at what age would I not pursue a series of shots (in this case lets use DTaP) due to age of child? Translation: my son got the first two DTaP vax’s but obviously not the last two so does a Pedi say to catch up even though the child is past the “risk” point (infant) and/or if the shots series is not done during the CDC schedule (in this case 2,4,6 months) then would the other 2 shots be worthless?
What I am trying to do is come up with an explanation to defend my position on non vaxing b/c I know the Pedi will ask me again have I thought about it and the answer is “Yes, I think about it EVERY day”. I hope this comes across as trying to learn why I would go back in time if my child is past the “recommended schedule”. I have for a time kept my sanity by thinking inwardly “The risks outweigh the benefits of not vaxing”. But I worry.

Thank you in advance.
Yes, they will tell you to catch up and that every shot is important.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List