vaccines and close family member with cancer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dear Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. She has had surgery and will be starting chemo in a few weeks, to continue indefinitely unless side effects become too severe - in which case they will discontinue. She was deemed incurable but we are praying for much longer than they say.

I homeschool my kids and they are unvaxed (well, short of my oldest having a couple shots when she was a baby). None of us have ever had a flu vaccine. But do I need to reconsider this given the circumstance? I love my Mom so much and I don't want to miss time with her OR be the cause of her catching some sort of infection. She is only 52 and a huge part of our lives.

I know we will be missing church for much of cold & flu season I am guessing (it is pretty impossible to prevent my 2yo from catching everything in the nursery, and people are unrelentless in bringing sick children). I feel stressed about not having outside support but my Mom is much more important. Do I need to have everyone vaxed for flu? I feel scared to do it and wonder if we would end up sicker in the long run...but if it what is best for my Mom then I would be hard pressed to decline it. What would you do in this situation?

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#2 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 AM

No, your kids are fine. My daughter was unvaxed when I had cancer and chemo. It was a non issue. Just don't bring your kids over to visit her when they are sick and you are good.

My oncologist told me to stay away from anyone recently vaxed anyway.
#3 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM

My father recently had several rounds of chemo and was told to stay away from recently vaxed people.

I agree with Arduinna's advice.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#4 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The flu shot is largely ineffective anyway. I would def not subject my kids to the risks of this shot on the miniscule chance it might prevent a case of the flu that would be prevented anyway with a hearty immune system.

PP's advice is great. Keep your kids away from your mom when they are sick.

Sorry about your mom . 52 is wayyyyyy to young

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am on medication that leaves me immunocompromised and I am supposed to stay away from freshly vaccinated people because they shed viruses. The flu shot is usually the wrong strain anyway because they use the strain from the year before and by the next year it has mutated anyway.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Consider giving your kids vitamin D and sambucol in the winter. Much more effective at preventing all strains of the flu and colds too.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#7 of 7 Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 AM

We don't vaccinate and my mom has Stage 4 lung cancer and we were told to keep my kids from visiting when they were sick. She did wear a mask a few times around us but we live 10 hours away and we were lucky that we weren't sick when we visited. Her doc told her to try to eat well, take her vitamins, and stay positive. We are very lucky to still have her almost four years after her diagnosis when they told her she only had a few months left. I hope your mom stays healthy through this all. (((hugs)))

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page