Ped wants me to sign refusal to vax letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds had well visit today and we've decided not to do any more vax for a while, perhaps til he's 2 or 3 if at all.

I told doc that we wouldn't be doing any vax for at least a while. He left office and came back with a form that had checked 9 vaxes that my son should have had by now, but has not.

Basically the form says the doc has "explained the risks to me of NOT vaxing and that my son could contract the diease, trasmit disease and that I need to keep my child out of school during disease outbreaks. Also says AAP and AAFP CDC recommend each vax be given.

"I know that failure to follow the rec about vax may endanger the health or life of my child and that others my child might come in contact with."

I told him I'd read it at home and consider signing it. What's the deal with these? Are they just CYAing? What will happen if I don't sign it? I mean, it doesn't say anything about the fact that the vaxes do NOT necessarily afford coverage.

(This part disgusts me ... He gave me this form AFTER telling me he thinks my son has a speech delay and we need to take him for an assessment.)

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this type of letter.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM

If you search "bad mommy form" in the vax forum you'll get a link to a modified version of the form. Legally, like according to the CDC site, you are allowed to modify the form. This version has the ""I know that failure to follow the rec about vax may endanger the health or life of my child and that others my child might come in contact with" part taken out. I would NEVER sign anything that says I'm knowingly endagering my child!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can attempt to modify it. I tried at our old ped office and they said fine but you have to sign one that is not modified and keep it in the chart as well. WHAT???!!! How does that make sense? I refused and they booted me.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM

If you modify it be sure and print this page: http://www.aap.org/immunization/pedi...oVaccinate.pdf

It says it can be CHANGED (and it's highlighted and bolded)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 18 Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
If you modify it be sure and print this page: http://www.aap.org/immunization/pedi...oVaccinate.pdf

It says it can be CHANGED (and it's highlighted and bolded)
Yah, but this is essentially a copyright release, nothing else. It doesn't mean that anybody has to accept a modified version.
#6 of 18 Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Yah, but this is essentially a copyright release, nothing else. It doesn't mean that anybody has to accept a modified version.
yup. The AAP also say peds should continue to work with folks who don't vaccinate, and not "fire" them but this doesn't stop the peds from doing justthat.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 18 Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all your help. I hadn't thought about those things, so I'll definitely NOT take signing anything like this lightly. I think I need a new pediatrician, as he also told me to stop BFing and switch to cow milk.

Here is the link to the "bad mommy" thread referenced bu AF wife

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad+mommy+forum

in case someone is interested.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#8 of 18 Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM

I wouldn't ever sign anything that states I am putting my child in danger, ever.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#9 of 18 Old 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM

aside from others said and what is on target, this doctor is most likely on the way out with you. Once you sign the form you are most likely will be asked to look for different doctor. You might want to ask prior to signing it if he will continue being your ped once you sign the form, chances are the answer will be NO.
#10 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 PM

i actually love me pediatrican, she is fine with me not vaxing, has not asked since, but did require me to sign this paper- and i did.
she told me that i could give a letter stating my disagreements with the form, as well as my beliefs that are contrary to this form, and that it would be kept in my childrens' files along side the aap form.
i think this is absolutely fine.
if any one were to question why i signed it, i would say because i HAD to in order to get my children medical care, which is the truth since i havent found one pedi that didnt require it, and also because my beliefs are there too, signed and dated by the doctor noting that she saw it and i feel good about this.
if you can find a pedi you like, and doesnt require you to sign this paper, it would be a miracle, seriously. at least that is what i have experienced.

if you want a copy of what i sent, private message me and feel free to use it/revise it.
#11 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM

Why would anyone sign a paper like that?

No one can sue their doctor over a vaccine related issue. If your child is injured you go to VAERS; if you consciously do not vaccinate, there is nothing the doctor can do, and it is stupid to blame the doctor; if the parents sued, what lawyer would take the case and what court would listen?

This is a non-issue. To sign something that says you know you are negligent and a bad parent because you are not falling into line with every one else is beyond ridiculous.
#12 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Somewhere around here is a link to a counter form that you can ask your doctor to sign essentially stating that he/she will take all financial responsibility in case of a vaccine reaction.

If he won't sign mine, I won't sign his.

ahhh...here it is:

http://www.mothering.com/health/vaccine-safety-awareness

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#13 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My kids' PCP accepted this in lieu of the bad mommy form:

(name of provider) has offered me the opportunity to vaccinate my children, (name of ds1and name of ds2); however, both children are exempt from school-entry vaccination requirements in harmony with FL Statute 1003.22(5)(a).

Underneath that are lines for my signature and the date. I simply sign and date at each appointment. I conceded to this because I appreciate that she is putting herself in an awkward position due to the strongly pro-vax culture in which we live, but my wording eliminates admission of "guilt".

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Somewhere around here is a link to a counter form that you can ask your doctor to sign essentially stating that he/she will take all financial responsibility in case of a vaccine reaction.

If he won't sign mine, I won't sign his.

ahhh...here it is:

http://www.mothering.com/health/vaccine-safety-awareness
Have you (or anyone else on this forum) actually get a ped to sign it?

I was given one of those bad mommy forms and last night I cried all night that I signed it, but I didn't see why DD would need a Hep A vaccine or flu vaccine, didnt want her to have it.
#15 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post

I was given one of those bad mommy forms and last night I cried all night that I signed it, but I didn't see why DD would need a Hep A vaccine or flu vaccine, didnt want her to have it.
No way! It makes the point though.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#16 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
If I found a pediatrician willing to sign that, I'd run screaming in the opposite direction because clearly, they'd be completely insane. It's good to have it right there in black and white on a page, though. Really makes it obvious how ridiculous they are when they pooh-pooh the risks of vaccination. Why not put your money where your mouth is, Doc? No? Then this vaccine discussion is closed.

Quote:

You didn't deserve to be bullied into signing that form and if you want to get a replacement form and strike out all the parts that say you're being willfully negligent and harming your child ( ) and initial and date that, it will override the previous form. Remember, they work for you, not the other way around. You can always take your business elsewhere--and should, if they try strong-arming you just because you dared to exercise your right to informed consent and say NO.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#17 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Underneath that are lines for my signature and the date. I simply sign and date at each appointment.
I noticed that the AAP form has multiple lines for initials and dates on it. So, do peds ask parents to sign this form at each visit? we haven't been back to the ped since we signed this form(we crossed off the objectionable material) and that was about 6 months ago!

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#18 of 18 Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I wouldn't ever sign anything that states I am putting my child in danger, ever.
we signed the dumb form, but i hardly read it. We flat out asked the ped if she was going to ask us to find another doc because of the non vaxing and she said no. Plus she didn't vax her own DD so she was kind of on our side

We've never been back either, DD hasn't been sick so why bother.

But you know, I never thought about the form implying that I would be putting my child in danger :headscratch:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page