What led you to question vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
And what findings compelled you to not vaccinate? If you have links, please share them.

I began questioning vaccines when I was pg. with DD1. "The Vaccine Book" was all the rage on the mommy message boards I frequented. After reading that, I thought I'd be a delayed/selective vaxer, but I still couldn't shake that "this is wrong" feeling. Over the course of 7 months, DD received a few vaccines. I hated every second of it, but didn't really know why. I started to research a little more, then I just put off vaccinating. The more I learned (especially about the ingredients), the less I trusted the safety of vaccines...and then I started to believe they are actually dangerous and could be responsible for all sorts of problems. Autism concerns were never on my radar, (yet today, I get TWO emails from my pro-vax friends linking me to the yahoo article. )

What about you? what's your story?

I'm also planning to write some sort of "why I don't vaccinate" statement (for myself), does anyone have anything like that? I have tons of info in my head, studies printed, links all over my computer, but nothing in one place. So, if you have any links that you think may be useful, please share them. I'll send you my "statement" or whatever it is when I'm finished if you want.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 66 Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My daughters reaction at 2 months. It felt like the wrong thing to do and I ignored the feeling.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 66 Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a kid my cousin was left permanently physically and developmentally disabled as a result fo vax reaction.
#4 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 AM

When I was pregnant with DD I was on partial bedrest and off work from 23 weeks on. I had a lot of time on my hands. I began researching car seats, breastfeedig, baby food, cosleeping, attachment parenting, etc. etc.

But I never ventured into the Vaccinations area of MDC. I thought that anyone who didn't vaccinate their kid was a serious whackadoodle.

And then one day (still pregnant) I came to the realization that if I was spending so much time researching everything else about babies, I should at least do some reading on vaccines in order to assure myself that vaccinating was the right choice.

Boy was I surprised!!

I started by reading through the MDC archives, and then read most of the sites referenced, both pro and con. I went onto my library's website and ordered every vaccine related book available through inter-library loan. As I learned and read I shared with DH so he took the journey with me.

When DD was born we still didn't know what we were going to do, other than the fact that we wouldn't be vaccinating right away. We were uncommital delayers. At our 2mo WBV my doctor freaked out on me and basically said I was going to kill my baby. I was feeling very vulnerable as we had been having serious problems nursing and I broke down and cried in the office. (Thank goodness we live in an area where vaccines are given at public health clinics, and not by doctors.) DD is now over 2yo and hasn't been back for a WBV.

It wasn't until DD was about six months old that we evolved from being noncommital delayers to firm non-vaxers.

Last month we thought DD had chicken pox (it turned out to be hand foot and mouth) and I got a lot of "Bet you wish you vaccinated her now, huh??" comments. No way!! We are very secure in our choice, but always continue to keep up on current studies and developments.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#5 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My journey was a slow one. I am a reformed mainstream medicine, provax, doctors and drugs are wonderful kind of gal.

About 10 years ago I started dating a guy and his best friend's sister was kind of crunchy. She had a baby boy and was very AP and did not vaccinate him. I thought she was a whackadoodle (as just-lilly says). Mean while I had been having all sorts of arthritic problems in my knees (mind you I was in my late 20's and really should not have been having arthritis problems) What I didn't make the connection with then, was the problems started shortly after I got the Hep B series for my then job at a hospital. Anyway I ended up having sudery on my knee that was not effective and nothing in mianstream medicine helped me. To make a long story short, I began to explore the world of alternative medicine and my problems improved (and not just my knees, but a host of other things Id been dealing with that were annoyances). I started seeing an ND, I got into homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic and mind/body medicine. I started to question the overuse of pharmaceuticals, but what I still had at this point was the belief that vaccines were necessary.
Fast forward to about 5-6 years ago. An aquanitances baby died 14 hrs after her Dtap shot. The death was ruled SIDS. The parents felt it was the vaccine. I thought that's just crazy....but I did what was now the norm for me since my "transformation" I began to research like crazy. That was about 6 years ago and what I have discovered not just about vaccine, but about the corruption of government agencies that are supposed to have the people's best interest at heart has been quite depressing.I remeber when I was researching the Heb B shot. A lightbulb went on and I have no doubt that that series damaged my health. When I got pregnant I stepped up my research and by the time DS was born 2.5 years ago I was already sure we would not be vaccinating. I always keep an open mind and look at the risk benefit analysis for things. I won't say I will NEVER give any vaccine ever to my child or future children, but as of today. There is not one where I feel the benefit outweighs the risk for our situation.

I have 8 pages of articles/studies/links etc that I would be happy to share with you. If interested just PM me

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Common sense.
#7 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

It was the never-ending stream of high dollar scaremongering campaigns, aimed at turning vaccine-free families into pariahs, that first made me wonder what was going on.

To say I'm skeptical of groupthink would be an understatement. When the mainstream groupthink points in a certain direction, I follow the money trail to find out why. With the abundance of evidence that the vaccine industry is riddled with corruption and conflicts of interest, it didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that vaccines are not right for my family. That the "science" behind vaccine safety and efficacy trials seems like pure quackery to me is almost secondary at this point.

Put blankly, I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies that make vaccines, I don't trust the corrupt government agencies that supposedly regulate them, I don't trust medical schools that use textbooks written by vaccine manufacturers, and I don't trust doctors who arrogantly (and usually ignorantly) dismiss the decision to delay or skip vaccines and who, in many cases, haven't even bothered to read the package inserts or may know less about vaccine-available diseases than I do.

Read Confessions of a Medical Heretic by Robert Mendelsohn, M.D. if you want a more detailed explanation of why more and more people are turning away from allopathic bullying and scaremongering.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#8 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Both my husband and I are allergic to a number of common medications, including a host of antibiotics that are often in vaccines (in low doses mainly to prevent infection at the site of injection). These allergies run in our family.

My mother often talked about the scary febrile seizure I had as a baby. It wasn't until years later that we realized it occurred shortly after I received a shot. We aren't interested in treating our kids like guinea pigs to find out whether they are allergic as well. We try to introduce these medications when they are older, in low and monitored doses, when they are verbal and can better communicate symptoms of distress, and only if truly deemed necessary.

It always shocks me when we see a doc and they ask about why the kids aren't current on their shots (they always get very huffy before they've even finished asking), and when I start explaining about the family history of allergic reactions, they calm down. "Oh, of course," they say, but they have NEVER, EVER checked to see if we have a family history of allergic reactions to common medications (or any of the other junk in vaccines -- chicken, eggs, gelatin, formaldehyde, etc) BEFORE pushing the shots on us.

Doctors are not taught to routinely check for family history of allergic reactions to medications -- Penicillin allergy is the most common drug allergy, mycins are present in MMR, polio, etc. I have never been asked on the kids' forms if any of these allergies run in our family -- only if the child is allergic to anything -- and how would we know? Docs always seem to feel that the risk to an allergic reaction is low, but this is in part because vax reactions are almost never reported as allergic reactions, if reported at all.

It is assumed we don't vax because of the fear of autism, and that we must be delusional and/or paranoid. I hate that. I have been mis-medicated and landed in the hospital in allergic shock too many times to ever feel like I could put blind faith in western medicine ever again. It frustrates me to no end that our culture encourages blind faith in doctors and pharmaceuticals and socially punishes people that make alternative informed decisions.

All of that said, we selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. I am not against vaccines, but I am against the willful ignorance that our culture espouses. This ignorance suggests that the solutions we have devised are adequate and final, and it keeps us from examining our flaws so that we can continuously improve.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#9 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 PM

I never liked the idea of vax. Especially since so many where given at once. I would not be able to sleep the night before and would be on the verge of tears and shaking on the way to the ped. then spend the next week checking to make sure my dd was still alive at night.

Back when I had dd I didnt know that not vaxing was an option. If I had I would have stopped them right away once I saw what they where doing to my dd.

She broke out with a rash after her first round of shots at 2 months it got better and was nearly 100% gone by her 4 month shots. 2 days after her 4 month shots I rushed her back to the ped because her rash was so bad her skin was busting and running the ped. said it was eczema and didnt mention a word about how the shots might have been to blame and because I didnt know I could stop them I continued to torture my poor dd with vax and watch after each round as her body totally went haywire.

Both of us sitting up crying at night her from the physical pain and me because I was helpless to make it better.

When I had ds I still didnt know I had a choice I took him in for his 2m shots scared and shaking. He did develop a light rash that went away within 2 weeks. At 4 months the rash came back and it was so much worse. So of course I freak thinking I was going to have to deal with another child with severe eczema. Around that time I ventured into the vax forum a place I had avoided thinking it was the same as everything everyone had ever told me. I was stunned and so happy to see that I did have a choice and I could save my ds from what dd went through.

I never took ds back for another vax and he never had any more issues with eczema. I know there is a genetic component to eczema but I fully feel that vax made it so much worse than it would have been. My dd has multiple food allergies including eggs which most of the vax have in the ingredients (how they are processed) I have no idea if the allergy is because of the vax or the allergy was present before the vax. She also has asthma which most of the time goes along with severe eczema.

I will forever carry the guilt of what happened to my dd. I will always be upset that no one ever told me I had a choice about vaxing my kids. I will forever be thankful to MDC for having that information so I could save my ds from the pain dd went through.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 66 Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I always thought I would delay vax dd...my plan was to start around 6mo-1yr. But the more I read, the more I understood. It was the norm for people around me at the time to not vax so I felt supported and reassured by my decision to not vax and never really had to validate myself.

That was until we moved back home, I have had to explain my reasons a million times over...and help dp understand why I didn't vaccinate her so he could support me as well. Him and I have read so much together on the topic that we both feel very strong in this decision and try to share our knowledge with anyone who asks...however, people ask but still vaccinate. It's a different culture with vaccines back here.

the main thing for me...the risks outweigh the benefit. Hands-down.
Dd is THE healthiest little person I have ever known. We fill her body with goodness on a daily basis...to vaccinate would go against everything I believe in.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#11 of 66 Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

I think DH was the first one on the NO VAX train, he brought me home info from the chiro (who is strongly against vax) and a couple things convinced me.

I would rather treat a rare, and rarely deadly, disease (which most things you vax for in the States are, due to good hygiene, etc) than needlessly inflict (possible) harm on defenseless baby.

You can't un-ring a bell. Once that vax is in the baby, you can't remove it, or any of the dozens of questionable ingredients. It is there for good, as well as any of the consequences (side effects, reactions, etc).

Vaccines aren't 100% protective or preventative. Natural immunity by actual exposure to a disease is far better.

Now, if, when he (and any future children) are older, and choose themselves to be vaccinated, then that will be their decision. We feel the same way about circumcision. It can't be undone. And if it is something he chooses as an adult, then at least he then, can make an informed decision about what to do with his body.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#12 of 66 Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM

I worked with with children with Autism. Now I don't believe Vax causes all autism, but I now believe some autism maybe misdiagnoses Vax injuries or just bring out autism in a more sever way sometimes.

Two families made me question, one blamed vaxes the other didn't

One had a very very premiee baby, who was developing typically crawling doing great and when he was a year I think, he was the size of maybe a 4 month old. a nurse accidentally gave him an adult sized flu vaccine. within a few days he regressed, no longer responded to music he used to crawl across the house for. Don't know anymore details about what happened then. Wonderful beautiful brilliant entirely non verbal little boy. Parents do not blame flu vax.

One typically developing everything on track healthy little boy. MMR, nurse gave the baby TWO doses said the first dose didn't go deep enough into the muscle. Parents blame his regression and lack of progress on this.

It defiantly made me question the whole a little bit of poison won't kill you but a lot will mentality.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#13 of 66 Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I questioned it when they wanted to give my 1 DAY OLD INFANT a vaccine against a SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE (Hep B).

When I started questioning it. The nurse lost patience and said, why don't you just get it at your peds office at your 1 week well baby visit. Well I started researching it and the kids have never been vaxed.

It makes absolutley no sense to inject my one day old infant with all of those toxins to prevent a sexually transmitted disease. (Well, it could also be spread by IV drug use. Thanks nurse but, I don't think he'll be doing that either.)

So I looked at each vaccine in a risk/benefit analysis. To me the benefits of vaccinating do not even outweigh all the known admitted risks. (Let alone any as yet undiscovered risks.)

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#14 of 66 Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
I questioned it when they wanted to give my 1 DAY OLD INFANT a vaccine against a SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE (Hep B).

When I started questioning it. The nurse lost patience and said, why don't you just get it at your peds office at your 1 week well baby visit. Well I started researching it and the kids have never been vaxed.

It makes absolutley no sense to inject my one day old infant with all of those toxins to prevent a sexually transmitted disease. (Well, it could also be spread by IV drug use. Thanks nurse but, I don't think he'll be doing that either.)

So I looked at each vaccine in a risk/benefit analysis. To me the benefits of vaccinating do not even outweigh all the known admitted risks. (Let alone any as yet undiscovered risks.)
Yup. This along with other vaccines out there for diseases that can be treated such as chicken pox and how the schedule ballooned to 35+ vaccines in the first year! Common sense told me that that can't be right (or healthy) and to look further. I was never into natural medicines or homeopathy until 2 years ago when my son was born and I started researching vaccines.

Researching the ingredients alone scared me. I also think vaccines damage immune systems, which is why kids are constantly sick anymore. I felt my son would have a better chance to fight off a disease if he had an immune system that was not hampered with. Reading about how vaccines supposedly "work" did not seem right to me, and how the purpose of a vaccine is to bypass your natural immune system and "surprise" your body with a virus??? Too scary if you ask me. It's a major shock to your system. Plus, after hearing kids getting the very same disease they were vaccinated for really confirmed my decision even more.

My decision became even more clear after seeing how much money is tied in with pharmaceutical sales and seeing how there are so many ads and commercials on vaccines now more than ever before. It's a big business like anything else we see ads for. I don't think it's any longer about the well-being of the people but rather about the greed of those in charge.

My final "Ah-Ha" moment was when a poster on here posted some time ago, "I'd rather treat a sick child than damage a healthy one." This hit home for me. I've read of too many children being damaged from vaccines or even having horrible reactions afterwards, only to have the doctor say "It's normal." When my brother was a baby, after his DPT booster, he could have died. He went limp and had a 104 degree fever. My mom had to rush him to the hospital and they told her he had a bad reaction to the shot. Shortly thereafter, he wound up developing dyslexia. Things start to come together like a puzzle once you are able to look back and see things clearly. True, it's like going down a rabbit hole once you start researching, but it makes you feel knowledgable and empowered once you are able to put everything together and make good choices for your family.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#15 of 66 Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm allergic/reactive to the tetanus vaccine, as was my grandmother and for that reason I was not comfortable giving my kids that vaccine. So I started researching. If you eliminate tetanus, you eliminate pertussis and diphtheria too as those are not available without tetanus. From there I thought I'd look into the others on the schedule as well and create a selective schedule. That turned into a selective delayed schedule... which turned into none.

-Angela
#16 of 66 Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The first time my daughter had to get shots I didn't want her to. I wanted to stop and refuse them but they told me they would call CPS. So against every instinct I had, my first two kids were vaxed. Later I found MDC after I had my 3rd child, read the Vax forum and all the research I could get my hands on. I had a science background and it took me some time (dd was 5 months old) to tell dh I wanted to stop. He was iffy, but then a friend's almost 6 month old got her shots and died the next day. We haven't given our kids a single vax since.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#17 of 66 Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 PM

DH and I took a Bradley Birth Class when pg with DS1...that class changed my life! Up to that point, I was pretty much "mainstream". I knew there were alternatives, but didn't know anything at all about them or the dangers of general mainstream US medicine.
During our Bradley class, the instructor talked about the dangers of vaccines so I began to question them. I was working full time though at the time (in a large area hospital) and knew I would be returning to work after maternity leave. I still thought I *HAD* to vax and our dr. (a family practice dr...who I began to trust less and less) was very, very adamant that we needed to vax. I was not yet sure enough of my own beliefs to disagree with "the norm"!
So, DS1 was born and had most of his shots. Then, we decided I would quit my job to stay home. I began to research more and more (and found a new doctor - a pediatrician). We decided to stop vaxing and, perhaps in the future, rethink it.
We found out a month after I quit work that we were pg with DS2 and began to find out (via chiro/kinesio and homeopathic care) that DS1 was allergic (or at the very least very sensitive too) to wheat, corn, soy and pasteurized dairy. The chiro mentioned that DS1s gut was pretty much a mess (at that time)....well, when you put it together, the immune system is based in the gut (or at least a large part of it). So, my personal feelings are that the vaxes ds1 did have caused or at least triggered his food allergies. Also, given ds1's personality traits, I could easily see that he could have developed autism (or other problems) if we had continued to vax (not necessarily DUE to the vax, but due the the effect of those on his gut and immune system which in turn could have led to problems).
So, we researched more and more, quit vaxing ds1 and ds2 has never had a single shot. I will likely, at some point in their lives, have them get the polio vax as it is one of the few (if not the only) diseases for which there is no "cure" or recovery - no it may not kill you, but it will leave you permanently with problems! For now, however, while we live in the middle of the US and are not traveling out of country, they will remain non-vaxed!

It has been a long journey for me and I very, very much regret that we proceded with vaxing ds1; but, I am thankful that he is a happy, healthy child as is his little brother

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#18 of 66 Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 AM

What initially led me to researching vaccines was when I went to pre-register at the hospital, they mentioned beforehand that I'll need to sign a consent form for Heb B. I looked into it a little and thought "WTF? Why would I give her a vaccination for THAT?" Once I started questioning one vaccine, it kind of snow balled. And now I'm totally anti-vax.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#19 of 66 Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I'm also planning to write some sort of "why I don't vaccinate" statement (for myself), does anyone have anything like that? I have tons of info in my head, studies printed, links all over my computer, but nothing in one place. So, if you have any links that you think may be useful, please share them. I'll send you my "statement" or whatever it is when I'm finished if you want.
I've been meaning to write something similar myself. Not to share with others really but to have a dot pointed list in my head for those times dealing with doctors when you need to defend your decisions. Plus, like you, I've got so much info in my head that organizing it in some way would be good. If only I had a little time on my hands!

There is no single effort more radical in its potential for saving the world earth.gif  treehugger.gif  earth.gif than a transformation in the way we raise our children. - Marianne Williamson  familybed1.gif  nocirc.gif  slinggirl.gif   bftoddler.gif
#20 of 66 Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

My foundation to not liking vax's was laid about 10 years ago. That's when 3 of my Grandparents started dyeing from cancer. That whole experience led me to see just how idiotic mainstream medicine can be.

The biggest push I got though was from the disease my mom had. My Mom had developed a very rare neurological disorder in 1994, after my littlest sister was born at the age of 38. It is similar to Parkinson's Disease but the meds don't work quite right, and it will USUALLY kill you within 4 years time. We always attributed her disease to the fact that she was drinking oil laced water at the public school she worked at. There had been an oil leak under her classroom, she complained about the water tasting funny and the principal told her not to worry about it. This went on for years and since oil can cause neurological disorders that was our assumption. Mom finally died at the age of 51 from the disease a few years ago. SHe was lucky to have lived so long with it.

I was researching her disease a while back and found a forum where an RN had mentioned that the flu shot can trigger the disease my Mom had. I found this really interesting and started researching it. I couldn't find any research on this so it was probably just anecdotal evidence but after some looking into things I found that one of the things Mom's disease can be caused by is heavy metal exposure. My Mom's disease also isn't genetic but there is a genetic predisposition. So I can see how something like a vax that contains heavy metals can trigger the disease in some people, or just add to a problem already in their body.

I then started my Student teaching in a HS Science classroom. I could easily work with any of the chemicals but when I was working with the metallic salts I got a tiny amount on my skin and immediately broke out into hives. No one else in the classroom did. I also had a problem with a scratched cornea that didn't want to heal for the better part of a year. When the doc finally switched me from theirmosal containing drops to ones that don't contain it my eye healed within days. So clearly I have a predisposition to problems with heavy metals. It caused me to look into the heavy metals in vax's. and after all sorts of research I've come to the conclusion that they haven't been proven to not cause problems (at least not to my satisfaction) and that knowing how they work and how the body gets rid of them it makes sense (to me) that it's possible they are causing all sorts of problems in people.

Since my kids and I may have a predisposition to these problems I don't feel comfortable vaxing. I used to be more of a selective vaxer but the more I look into things the more I don't want to vax at all.
#21 of 66 Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 AM

I have two main issues:
The first is all the weird/toxic ingredients... many of which are known nuerotoxins and/or carcinogens

The second is that, to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), there aren't any controlled long term studies on the safety of vaccines. It sure seems like we are seeing a major rise in things like cancer, infertility, obesity, allergies, and all sorts of other major health problems. And I'm not saying that vaccines are the cause of any or all these things because I'm sure there are a lot of factors. However, it just doesn't make sense in my brain that you can pump toxic chemicals into your body like that and NOT have any long term health problems as a result.

I sure would love to see a long term controlled study comparing a vaxed population to a non vaxed population. If anyone knows of one that I don't, please pass it along.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#22 of 66 Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Most of the safety studies are done as a post marketing surveillance, or studies done after the vaccine is released for general use.

Quote:
I sure would love to see a long term controlled study comparing a vaxed population to a non vaxed population
For decades Dr Dean Edell,media doctor and ophthamalogist has stated this will NEVER be done since doctors do not want to deprive any child of the benefits of vaccines.

This can be done if doctors used the Amish, or patrons of HomeFirst or children of chiropractors for example.
#23 of 66 Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
Most of the safety studies are done as a post marketing surveillance, or studies done after the vaccine is released for general use.
But there's no way to control for anything in those studies. Plus, how long term are those studies? Do they send surveys to people who had DTP 20+ years ago? What kind of questions would they ask that would be at all relevant?

No... there needs to be controlled studies comparing vax to non vax... I know you said it won't happen... but that would be the only way you could prove that injecting your baby with carcinogens and neurotoxins don't actually have health implications.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#24 of 66 Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 PM

I just started my "why I don't vaccine" paper. When I was pregnant with DS, my Mom informed me that they give newborns a Hepatitis B vax at birth. I said, "so?", and she said, "April, why would a one day old baby need a vaccine for that?" Thus started my 3 year vaccine research....and still going strong. I refused the Hep B for DS and have since learned a great deal about the harm that vaccines can/have caused. There is a plethora of cases against the practice of vaccine, so I'll get to the point and name a few that sent me from "maybe DS can have some shots when he's older" to "if anyone tries to force a vaccine on him or us, we will go as far as to flee the country".

First, vaccination can cause chronic sickness and disease. Natural immunity and vaccine induced immunity are very different. Natural immunity assumes that the intruding virus or bacteria has been addressed by the body's first lines of defense BEFORE entering the bloodstream. Under natural circumstances, the virus or bacteria would have to either enter through your nose, mouth, or outer layers of your skin. These areas of the body secrete antibodies (Immunoglobulin A) and begin the fight against invading pathogens. The virus/bacteria, then enters into the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, and other organs that secrete more antibodies (Immunoglobulin G), further breaking down the virus or bacteria. These two immune responses have been shown to be very important in fighting off infection and acquiring immunity. Vaccine induced immunity injects the virus or bacteria directly into the bloodstream bypassing this first crucial step. It is thought that these 2 responses are needed in order for full expulsion of the offending agent, therefore the body isn't able to expel the injected toxins, thus harboring them in its cells and tissues creating long term illness and chronic autoimmune diseases like diabetes, lupus, leukemia, cancer, autism, allergies, asthma, etc.

Second, causing your body to over produce antibodies is not safe. Each time a vaccine is given, the virus/bacteria coupled with the antibody stimulating adjuvents, like aluminum and thimerisol, stimulate the body to produce antibodies in the blood. Those antibodies are designed to kill, and in a natural acquisition of infection, they would go after the offending agent, but in the case of vaccination, there is over adequate amount of antibodies produced for their offending viruses . When these excess antibodies have nothing to attack, they begin attacking innocent molecules in the body that most closely resemble the amino acid sequences of the virus. This is called Molecular Mimicry and this is how the body starts attacking itself, like in the cases of the above autoimmune diseases.

Children whose parents choose to follow the CDC's recommended immunization schedule receive 49 doses of 14 different vaccines by the time they are 6....and that number may have even increased since I did that research. That's ALOT of antibody production. And ALOT of opportunity for autoimmunity to occur.

Third, vaccine viruses are cultured on animal and human tissues, meaning they are grown on tissues like monkey kidneys and human fetal cells, and all the components that make up these tissues are injected into your bloodstream along with the vaccine. During an interview conducted by a well known American journalist, a retired vaccine researcher stated that he and his colleagues found various chicken viruses in the measles vaccine, canthamoeba (a brain eating amoeba) and simian cytomegaloviruses in the polio vaccine, simian foamy virus in the rotovirus vaccine, dog, duck, and rabbit viruses in the rubella vaccine, avian leucosis virus in the flu vaccine, pestivirus and bird cancer viruses in the MMR vaccine, various micro-organisms in the anthrax vaccine, and potentially dangerous enzyme inhibitors in several vaccines.

We cannot possibly calculate the extent of the damage these contaminants can cause because there has never been testing to find out.

There are other reasons as well, such as many times vaccines actually cause the diseases they are supposed to prevent. For example, polio and small pox were on a steady decline until mass vaccination for these diseases took place. There were polio and smallpox epidemics that occurred immediately following these mass vaccinations.

And still yet, other reasons such as heavy metal toxicity and nerve demyelination that occurs caused by adjuvents like aluminum and mercury.

The idea of vaccination is notably intended for the good of humanity, unfortunately, no vaccine has ever been proven safe or effective. Yes, studies have been done on short term adverse reactions, but all vaccine inserts admit that long term post market surveillance is not controlled or efficiently recorded. All vaccine inserts also state that "no studies have been done to evaluate for the potential to cause carcinogenicity (cancer) or genotoxicity." 

I encourage you to get ahold of all the vaccine package inserts for all the childhood immunizations and study them. It's a REAL eye opener.

Sorry this is such a lengthy response, but OP, this is a loaded question.

miami mommy likes this.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#25 of 66 Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 AM

I was first introduced to the vaccine controversy online, but went on to read books and talk to people about it before making a decision.  Neither of my parents have ever recieved a vaccine in their lives, and both remember most of the vaccine-preventable diseases (with exception of polio) as minor childhood illnesses.  Both have had most vaccine-preventable diseases.  My mother remembers having measles and rubella "parties" so all the kids would get them at once.  At that time, people didn't fear these diseases as life threatening any more than we feared chicken pox as kids.

It also struck me that many people who do vaccinate have no idea how vaccines work or even what they are for.  I can't count how many moms I've met who talk about taking their baby in for their shots, but they don't even know how many were given or for what diseases.  Where is the informed consent in this? It seems very manipulative on the part of the medical community that most have no qualms about vaccinating extremely uninformed people, but if you refuse you get all kinds of "education" on the subject before they make you sign a waiver basically saying you know your child could die as a result of your choice.  And in my experience, this "education", both from the doctors office and the school, consists greatly of showing pictures of horrible diseases and saying, "Now you don't want to risk your child getting this, do you?"  I know I'm probably backwards, but this has the opposite effect on me.  Not only is it not a convincing argument, it insults my intelligence because I'm more than capable of understanding facts, not emotionally based scare stories. 

On the other hand, I have generally found the anti-vax crowd to be well-informed on the subject, even if they disagree with common medical teachings.  This is not to say that pro-vaccine parents are generally ignorant (dingyibvs, you seem very knowledgable about how vaccines work.  I find your perpective refreshing).  But there do seem to be some common themes that come up in the vaccine "wars", and a lot of it boils down to emotionally-based arguments rather than a fact-based presentation.

#26 of 66 Old 12-11-2010, 10:12 PM

You know, that's a really good question.

I had heard a lot about people spacing them out, etc. and the reasons why. I think for us, it came to head when we were moving when DD was 3 months old. Because of that, she missed her 3 month vaccinations. And then it was time for her 6 month vaccs and I was overwhelmed with the idea of trying to get her 'caught up', so that kind of pushed my decision to go towards the "no more". If she hadn't missed her 3 month vaccs would she be fully vacc'd? I dunno.

Since then I have, along with everyone here I'm sure, been told by people that because I don't vacc my kid, THEY have to vacc THEIRS to protect them from my child. That has also cemented my decision. 'They' heard from somewhere that *EVEN THOUGH THEIR CHILD IS VACC'D*, that if my child gets sick their child will. To me, that makes me more certain that vaccs are a load of... um... stuff... and that there is no need to subject my kiddos to them.

I think another trigger was when I was pregnant with DD and it was time for DS's Chicken Pox vacc. I was like "what they heck does he need a vacc for THAT for? I've had them, it wasn't that bad". That was the first one we refused. When the doc asked me why, I had a good answer for her. Basically, when DS got his first MMR, he got the rash. Something like only 6% get the rash. While it wasn't serious, it made me wonder if he'd be one to get sick from the CP vacc. I was pregnant, due any day, and there was no way I wanted to possibly expose my newborn to Chicken Pox if DS got it from the vacc. Doc accepted that and was fine. But I think that was another thing that got me thinking. Actually, I'm 99% sure that's the last time DS got any vaccs.

In some ways, I wish I could say that my kids are 100% unvacc'd, but that's not the case. Except for the Chicken Pox vaccine, DS got every vacc he was 'supposed' to get up until and including his 18 month vaccs. Those were the last.

DD I think may have gotten the 3 month vaccs when we got here to Utah, but hasn't had any since. I actually came across her last vacc record recently and kind of laughed at it. It was September 2009. I'm now proud to say that my daughter's last vaccs were over a year ago, DS's were over a year and a half ago, and that it will continue that way until some idiot in government makes it a federal crime. Heck, even then, there will be so many of us in jail it'll be a freaking PARTY in there!

#27 of 66 Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 AM

A magazine of Jenny McCarthy that said something about the link between the MMR and her son's autism. I had no idea about that story, so at first, I thought it was only the MMR that was bad, so I did research and desperately wanted to see that it was JUST the MMR and that other vaccines were safe (cause that's what I believed my entire life - I had no ideas of severe reactions whatsoever) and lo and behold, I came across more information than my virgin eyes wanted to see. ROTFLMAO.gif

After that, I embarked on this year long journey before I decided to at least space out my son's vaccines. He didn't receive his first round of shots til he was about 4 months. After this series of shots, in which he got everything that's recommended at 2 months, he got a fever that wouldn't go down for 3-4 days (it was 105), he was twitching every now and then, his poop was all filled with mucous, he was so "out of it" and had this odd/glazed look in his eyes like he wasn't there, and he got really sick a few weeks after for an entire month. It was probably the cold he caught from his cousin, but it took FOREVER for him to kick this bug and he was EBF at this time, too. So from that point on, I decided to do some more research, but DH was deployed at this time, so I had to do most of the research on my own and he told me he trusted me with whatever decision I made. When he came home, I shared that info with him and we both agreed to space it out. So we went by the Dr. Sears schedule, 2 shots at a time, 1 aluminum shot, etc. until he STILL had reactions. After the polio shot, he had a fever and he was REALLY fussy for a few days. He wasn't himself. I hated it. After the DTaP shot, his leg swelled SO big, I thought it'd pop. It really freaked me out. I just remember the last shot he got was the DTaP and Prevnar, and we went to Palm Springs, and he was crying the entire time. His mood totally changed, he was really cranky, and I remember locking myself in a bathroom stall at a restaurant with him in my lap cause he wouldn't stop screaming (like he was in pain) and that's when I had a sincere conversation with God and I prayed. I felt so much regret for giving him those shots, even after I felt my conscience tugging at my heart, telling me that it wasn't right (at least for him, it wasn't) and I kept shutting that voice up by what the world was saying I should do and by my fear of the disease itself.

A couple months later, after asking God for direction and guidance, I finally got my answer in a dream and it became clear. I trust that God will protect the decision *I* make for my child, and the only decision I was comfortable with was foregoing ALL shots. So at 10 months, he was finally done with everything he should've had at 6 months, minus the Hep B and polio series. I started those, but never finished. He only got one Hep B and 2 polio.

I do not regret my decision, and I'm very happy I finally listened to my gut and trusted it.

I'm Michelle, child of God, wife to Miguel, [11.16.05] and mommy to Kanoa [7.07.08]
"Follow the way of love." - 1 Cor 14:1
#28 of 66 Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 AM

A magazine of Jenny McCarthy that said something about the link between the MMR and her son's autism. I had no idea about that story, so at first, I thought it was only the MMR that was bad, so I did research and desperately wanted to see that it was JUST the MMR and that other vaccines were safe (cause that's what I believed my entire life - I had no ideas of severe reactions whatsoever) and lo and behold, I came across more information than my virgin eyes wanted to see. ROTFLMAO.gif

After that, I embarked on this year long journey before I decided to at least space out my son's vaccines. He didn't receive his first round of shots til he was about 4 months. After this series of shots, in which he got everything that's recommended at 2 months, he got a fever that wouldn't go down for 3-4 days (it was 105), he was twitching every now and then, his poop was all filled with mucous, he was so "out of it" and had this odd/glazed look in his eyes like he wasn't there, and he got really sick a few weeks after for an entire month. It was probably the cold he caught from his cousin, but it took FOREVER for him to kick this bug and he was EBF at this time, too. So from that point on, I decided to do some more research, but DH was deployed at this time, so I had to do most of the research on my own and he told me he trusted me with whatever decision I made. When he came home, I shared that info with him and we both agreed to space it out. We were trying to get "the best of both worlds" so to speak. So we went by the Dr. Sears schedule, 2 shots at a time, 1 aluminum shot, etc. until he STILL had reactions. After the polio shot, he had a fever and he was REALLY fussy for a few days. He wasn't himself. I hated it. After the DTaP shot, his leg swelled SO big, I thought it'd pop. It really freaked me out. I just remember the last shot he got was the DTaP and Prevnar, and we went to Palm Springs, and he was crying the entire time. His mood totally changed, he was really cranky, and I remember locking myself in a bathroom stall bawling my eyes out at a restaurant with him in my lap cause he wouldn't stop screaming (like he was in pain) and that's when I had a sincere conversation with God and I prayed. I felt so much regret for giving him those shots, even after I felt my conscience tugging at my heart, telling me that it wasn't right (at least for him, it wasn't) and I kept shutting that voice up by what the world was saying I should do and by my fear of the disease itself.

A couple months later, after asking God for direction and guidance, I finally got my answer in a dream and it became clear. I trust that God will protect the decision *I* make for my child, and the only decision I was comfortable with was foregoing ALL shots. So at 10 months, he was finally done with everything he should've had at 6 months, minus the Hep B and polio series. I started those, but never finished. He only got one Hep B and 2 polio.

I do not regret my decision, and I'm very happy I finally listened to my gut and trusted it.

I'm Michelle, child of God, wife to Miguel, [11.16.05] and mommy to Kanoa [7.07.08]
#29 of 66 Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 AM

I forgot to mention that I've read so many books on vaccines, but the book that sold me was "The Sanctity of Human Blood."

#30 of 66 Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 AM

My mom. LOL  She refused to vaccinate any of us before age 2.  Then she did, maybe only because she thought she "had" to for us to go to school.  She never said WHY she didn't before then, but it was enough for me to look into it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page