no-vax feel Dr is against us - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies I'm feeling so badly ( to the point of sleeplessness and nausea) after the 4 month appt. Because the doctor doesn't understand our decision not to vax I now feel like the medical staff are the enemy in a lot of ways. I want to feel secure in knowing when my child is sick that the doctor supports us and won't just reflect back to not vaxing. We went yesterday and he was fine only ezcema and a bit of a flat head. Last night he had belly pain and I wanted to cry because although he'll be fine...I worry he picked something up at the doctors!!! Plus when I really need medical care will it be so adversarial? I feel stuck in the insurance problem because natural medicine docs are full pay...Pay for insurance and then pay for a private doc...that doesn't make sense. I'm in VA near Washington DC if anyone know of a good pediatrician or a group for moral support I need it badly. We've done our research (even gave it to the dr) now we want to apply it to the wellness of our child.
#2 of 6 Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakymom View Post
Ladies I'm feeling so badly ( to the point of sleeplessness and nausea) after the 4 month appt. Because the doctor doesn't understand our decision not to vax I now feel like the medical staff are the enemy in a lot of ways. I want to feel secure in knowing when my child is sick that the doctor supports us and won't just reflect back to not vaxing. We went yesterday and he was fine only ezcema and a bit of a flat head. Last night he had belly pain and I wanted to cry because although he'll be fine...I worry he picked something up at the doctors!!! Plus when I really need medical care will it be so adversarial? I feel stuck in the insurance problem because natural medicine docs are full pay...Pay for insurance and then pay for a private doc...that doesn't make sense. I'm in VA near Washington DC if anyone know of a good pediatrician or a group for moral support I need it badly. We've done our research (even gave it to the dr) now we want to apply it to the wellness of our child.
I'm really sorry you feel this way. I felt that way too, but now, screw them. I try to just avoid the topic of vaccines altogether with them. It came up recently and I wanted SO badly to throw my research at her and ask her if she REALLY wanted to get into it. Instead, I nodded and smiled and said, "I understand, but we did not come to this decision lightly." I don't care waht they think of me or say to us anymore. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'm making the right decision, and if they disagree, that's fine. I think Dr. Sears website has a "vax friendly" pediatrician list...try that.

Just remain confident in your decision. Has he had any vaxes? Another thing that may be helpful is just say you want to delay them for a while...then it will be a while before they ask you again.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#3 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Try this list http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/fo...l_id=388245970

and go get the book "Raising a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Robert Mendelsohn
#4 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 11:42 PM

PMed ya!
#5 of 6 Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's usually some sort of conventional doc (family practitioner, GP, even a pedi) who won't hassle non-vaccinating patients. It can take a while to find that person, but it's worth looking.

Firing the first doc is stressful, the 2nd is less stressful and after that, it's just like any other business. You decide they give you good service and deserve repeat business from you, or they don't. It doesn't sound like this practice deserves your money.

It does help to find one or two docs you can see to help with illnesses you're concerned about--we have a DO who does cranial-sacral, it's been helpful for ear pain and a cough that I was concerned about. We don't do any sort of well visits there, but she's there if I need her. I've got an acupuncturist that I'd use for more chronic concerns.
#6 of 6 Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM

I've felt this way, too. I have been pleasantly surprised that when I have had to take the kids, it's never been an issue. I go in ready to fight, and I just don't have to.

I still get tense about it, though.

You just have to decide that you've decided, and then let their words roll over you. The more kids I have and the older they get, and the more I talk to others about parenting, health and wellness, schooling, etc, the more I feel confident in what I'm doing.

I am finding that, whether the person be a doctor, teacher, or whatever, I HAVE done my research, and I DO know what they have to say. It is very, very rare now that someone says something that I've not yet considered. I'm not saying that to sound cocky. I humbly talk to lots and lots of people looking for suggestions and advice on all sorts of things. I'm just trying to encourage you to keep reading, and keep researching all of your parenting decisions and you'll find a center that will ground you in moments like these.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page