CDC National Immunization Survey (I was "randomly" selected) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Many states have the option to opt out of the vaccine registries. 

-Angela

#62 of 71 Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM

The NIS is also based on a completely different methodology from somehow scouring everybody's medical records. And not directly performed by the CDC (it's done by NORC).

#63 of 71 Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Interesting thread. My husband got a call from the CDC today (on his cell phone) asking him if he had time to do a survey, and offered him 10 dollars to do it... He declined, and has no idea what the survey was even about. Now I'm super curious!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#64 of 71 Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm a refusal converter for the NIS survey. I've been working there for 3 years and I hate every minute of it! I have a few things to clarify and a few theories.

Screener-NIS is for children 19 to 35 months. If you go through the screen and your child is older or younger you won't be eligible. BUT there TIS for teens 13 to 17. Not all households we screen for that but we don't tell you if we will in the intro. It sneaks up on you. THEN some households will be screened for NSCH which is for all children under 18. I don't know why we don't say this in the intro.

Section A and B-This is were they ask about immuzations. Whether or not they got them, when, why not if they didn't, where etc. i have no problem with this part.

Section C-Demographics

Section D-Provider. I this section you don't have to give full names. Can do first initial, mid initial and last names. Most interviewers won't tell you that. Then we do insurance questions and move on to the next survey without warning if you're eligible.

The logic presented to the interviewers is that the HIPPA laws makes it illegal to obtain medical records even if you are sending a form with medical info and not the actual record like we do. There is an immunization registry for each state and many say their doctors report to the CDC anyway. But this generalized info isn't sufficient because it doesn't tell us demographic info and other info that may affect vax rates. What I don't understand is why they don't use demographic info from the Census and other government info and compare it the vax rates for each area.

Also I think this survey is a waste of time and money. In our guides and that info they give us we're told that vax rate increase to 85% because of NIS but there are still children not receiving them. But if we call someone who doesn't vax or don't believe in it we say its not a bout vaccinating you're child, just gather info. At the time of the survey this maybe true but ultimately the want to vaccinate you're children. I just graduate so I've been a college student this whole time on the survey and in the beginning I thought it was fine but now I don't like it. I don't believe in vaccinations and this survey in NOT worth $60 million dollars of tax payers money. Sure it supplies jobs but it could at least be a more useful survey. I just finished my degree a few weeks ago I can't wait to get a job in my field or anything else for that matter.

Tips for respondents:

If you know there's no possible way you'll do this don't just say not interested or stop calling. The case will be coded as a refusal and sent to the damned (ppl like me). No matter what we have to convince you to change you're mind (I've had to talk to ppl that were dying of cancer and only wanted to talk to family, horrible). I stopped trying, I only say enough to not get in trouble. Specifically say "Take me off you list". Then you will not be called for again for that sample, but you're number can be dialed in another year.

A new sample of number is generate every quarter. You can possibly be selected more than once in a few months. Even if you completed a survey, If you're selected again you still qualify and they wanna speak to you.

The interviewer is required to read everything verbatim and use aversion attempts. It's not the interviewer fault that s/he said it 10/15/20 minutes and you're on the phone for 2x as long. they never adjust the estimate because that supposed to be the time it really takes, which it never does.

If you have questions or Ideas let me knowsmile.gif

#65 of 71 Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

I also received a letter and 2 phone calls, both of which I stated that I did not want to participate in.  Now 2 weeks later I receive a letter with a $5 bill inside.  It states that it is for my time and effort and after we talk they will send another $10.  I have felt very uneasy about this ever since I received the first letter, now the money makes it seem even more CREEPY.  Not sure why I feel this way, but I think I am going with my gut instinct and will decline every time they call.

#66 of 71 Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

We also got a call.... But, they said my son was too old (30 months) and I think their cut off was 27 months so they didn't ask me any questions. I did ask them though what they were looking at and they said they were doing a study on the quality of the pertussis vaccination. They also said they got our number randomly but they asked my husband to speak to whoever in the house made vaccination decisions... It all seemed a little odd to me especially considering we don't vax but whatever.

Would it have been less odd if they called up and knew you don't vax? Or never called because they knew that?

"Whoever made vaccination decisions" is a pretty neutral statement. They could've said "whoever takes your children for their vaccination appointments" or "whoever makes sure your kids get vaccinated".

#67 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hey, free $5, lol. I hope I get randomly selected.

You shouldn't have to decline "every time they call." They'd better stop calling as soon as you make it completely clear that you do not want them to call again. Try saying, "please take me off your list, and please do not call me ever again" and then ask for their name for your records.

Anyway, that amount of money is going to bias their results. It's only going to convert the lower income people. They really should offer something like $500 that would get just about everybody's attention, regardless of their income level. But as a taxpayer, I think I would have something to say about that. Actually, this whole thing is already a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac4ua View Post

I also received a letter and 2 phone calls, both of which I stated that I did not want to participate in.  Now 2 weeks later I receive a letter with a $5 bill inside.  It states that it is for my time and effort and after we talk they will send another $10.  I have felt very uneasy about this ever since I received the first letter, now the money makes it seem even more CREEPY.  Not sure why I feel this way, but I think I am going with my gut instinct and will decline every time they call.

#68 of 71 Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Your right. I notice the higher income houses only convert after they done research and the lower income do it without question. But if we up the incentive up to $500 that could double the amount tax money being spent on.

#69 of 71 Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I can't say what I would like to say....lol.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#70 of 71 Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

By the way, how come it's never this kind of cr*p that's cut from the budget during national budget emergencies?

#71 of 71 Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

By the way, how come it's never this kind of cr*p that's cut from the budget during national budget emergencies?

Yeah that. Makes you really wonder!

Tags
Vaccinations , Centers For Disease Control And Preventi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page