Friends don't want us to visit - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
If your kids are still having coughing spells, even mild ones, it's probably best to stay away from newborns anyway, regardless of anyone's vaccine status.
I know I've said this already, but I want to make it clear I have no intention of bringing my children around anyone's newborn as long as they are coughing. Like I said we have other friends who live nearby with a new baby (born in July) and we haven't even seen that baby because we're waiting until the cough is completely gone. I only mentioned the cough because I think it was whoopin cough and once they are totally well then it isn't really different then being around a vaxed kid. Otherwise the situation has nothing to do with the cough, as the baby in question isn't even born yet. I was originally just afraid that they wouldn't want to see us for the next year or more because of our vax status, and since that is no longer the case, I'm feeling much better about the situation

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#32 of 35 Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been 10 reported infant deaths due to pertussis in California this year. I think the parents are doing the right thing. This is a choice you made, and if the tables were turned I'm sure you'd want your wishes respected.
#33 of 35 Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 AM

Your friends are making a reasonable request, and it's nothing personal. No, you don't need to change anything you're doing. Just wait until their baby has a stronger immune system (in about 2 months) & has been immunized, and then you could visit. Just say, "I understand, no problem", send a card, and talk on the phone. A newborn is highly vulnerable, and there is the potential of transmission even in those who appear asymptomatic. Respect their wishes w/out getting offended or second-guessing yourself.

editing b/c I just read your f/u post. I'm glad it all worked out.
#34 of 35 Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
This is a choice you made, and if the tables were turned I'm sure you'd want your wishes respected.
Read the entire thread. She never said she was going over with her children and a battering ram.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#35 of 35 Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Read the entire thread. She never said she was going over with her children and a battering ram.
Best mental picture ever- Smiling, waving family with a basket of new baby gifts and a giant battering ram wielded by a team of Vikings...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page