How long did you breastfeed? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe try to work on a routine where someone else can put her to sleep? That seems like it might be a good place to start. Will she get sleepy when taken for a walk in a stroller or carrier? Or walked in the dark? Or rocked? Or bounced? While my nursing decisions are totally separate from my vaccination decisions, everything I read made me feel very strongly that children had an inborn right to nurse into (and often through) toddlerhood. Developmentally it just makes sense. The immune boosting is just a nice side effect.

-Angela
#32 of 48 Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 AM

sorry i really cant relate b/c i have always loved to nurse and loved the convienience of it. yes i do the sleep and nightime stuff but its really easy i just lay there and get a min to relax while shes nursing.

that really sux you hate it so much. idk what to say besides what pp said

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#33 of 48 Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2 View Post
I say that because that has been the driving force that has stopped me from giving up. BF'ing is a *huge* commitment. And even saying that feels like an understatement. It is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and it pales in comparision to natural childbirth. There is no end in sight anytime soon with the bf'ing and the thought of that is overwhelming. The first 7-8 weeks, I did nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing else) but nurse her 24/7. My older DS was neglected, my house was a mess, some days dinner was a bowl of cereal. After that it did get a little easier, but I'm still the only person that can feed her, the only person to put her to sleep, and I'm the one doing 100% of the nighttime parenting. It is a lot on my shoulders. And then there's the added pressure that this was my decision to not vax so *I need* to keep bf'ing. (This is my own internal thinking, not from DH or someone else.)

Nursing is hard work and I can relate, bf'ing is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life too (especially at the beginning, constant non stop nursing, mastisis, plugged ducts, no support, rude comments, etc), and I didn't even have another kid to take care of! And like you I also do 100% of the nighttime parenting. There is a lot on your shoulders, And it's awesome that you have been able to ebf this long and it really does get easier in the toddler years. And for us, it got a lot easier once he started solids. The pressure was off me in a small way, and I felt that if I was gone for a couple hours (say.. to get a much needed and deserved massage! hint hint!) that my ds would be ok with daddy chowing down on some avocado or banana.

And maybe try not to look at it all in terms of years, but rather day to day or even minute to minute, ykwim? Looking at it in the long term can be overwhelming, but just getting through each day is a bit more manageable.

You've done great so far, and you can do this! It is hard work, but really the hardest part of it is over, it gets way easier as they get older.
#34 of 48 Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe this link will be helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/love-bf-24-7.html

I think that breastfeeding is so much more than just a method to provide immunities to your child. Maybe if you could explore some of the reasons it is so important that it might help you with your resolve. It also is important to note that your baby will still want to be close to you at this stage. It is normal and will be a need of hers regardless of feeding method. This can be overwhelming for mothers. It is important that whenever you can, that you carve out a little time for yourself each day. Even if all you do is read a book for 30 minutes or take a bath. She is old enough that you could feed her and leave with your dp for a few hours to go out with friends. Breastfeeding committments do not mean you do not have to give up all of yourself. You just have to be more creative at how you take care of yourself.
#35 of 48 Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2 View Post
My nonvaxed DD is 8 months old and still EBF. She has no interest in starting solids. The only reason that I have stuck with bf'ing was to help build her immune system. I feel that I have put so much pressure and guilt on myself to bf her for *years* due to the fact that I'm not vaxing. I'm curious how long others have bf and how much not vaxing has played into that.

Thanks!
I plan to breastfeed until next spring. My youngest will be 2yrs and 2 months. He's enjoyed solids from early on and begged for food at 4 months. Some babies don't do that. My third son didn't eat solids for 2 whole years, other than some mushy stuff, but would even gag on mushy frenchfries. He was healthy and fat on breastmilk, so I kept it up until he was around 3. My first two were 15mo and 9mo(her choice).

The reason I'm holding on until next spring is because I want to get him through the winter without worrying about what to feed him if he gets ill. It helps him recover so quickly. When we all had the swine flu last year, he had a slight fever for a day while some of us were down hard.

You say you feel pressure to breastfeed her for years. Where's the pressure coming from? How long do you currently plan to breastfeed? You have to do what's right for you and her, not what you're pressured to do. It does help, but I don't think it's mandatory.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#36 of 48 Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Three weeks

And that wasn't even exclusive.

My DD completely refused the breast. Forget about bad latch, we had no latch. She would see my boob and flip out, arch her back and try to push me away.

The support I received was awful. One of the nurses in the hospital talked me into giving her formula in the middle of the night (my biggest regret). I requested to see an LC three times before they finally gave me a referral, and she mainly talked about bottle feeding. My doctor told me to go cold turkey on bottles and just give her water (!!!) until she decided to take the breast. It was seriously awful.

I pumped what I could, but after 3 weeks my DH had to go back to work and I had no idea how I would spend 20 minutes pumping 6+ times a day while caring for a newborn on my own. Meanwhile I was spending those 20 minutes dwelling on what a failure I was as a mother. Not healthy, and I was spiralling towards PPD really fast.

So we had to make the decision that it was better for my DD to have an emotionally healthy mother, than it was for her to have the breastmilk I was able to pump (it was about 50/50 at that point). We switched to formula full time.

I still greatly mourne the loss of our breastfeeding relationship. But I did the best I could do at the time.

As for vax.... DD hasn't had a single one. And won't, unless something seriously major happens to change my mind. I know that BFing would have been better for her immune system, but it wasn't like formula made vaccines any safer.

And you know what? She is still one of the healthiest kids I know. In over two years she has had a couple of colds, and a case of Hand Foot and Mouth disease (that was given to her by a fully vaxed kid, btw) and that is it.

So there it is... the view from the dark side.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#37 of 48 Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM

DD nursed for 28 months, DS1 for 36 months, and DS2 for 28 months (only because I am pregnant and there is no more milk).

I didn't nurse them for any certain amount of time due to not vaxing...I just nursed them until they stopped...for whatever reason.
#38 of 48 Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM

our DD is still nursing at 22 months a lot! I'm still nursing her because she needs it/ wants it....not because we didn't vax. I do feel like it's great for keeping her healthy and strong. we'll stop when she's ready, which doesn't seem like anytime soon. fly-by-nursing1.gif

#39 of 48 Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Not that I'll be much help here, but I am going through the same thoughts in my own mind....Most people on here say they are comfortable about not vaxing and then give their extended BFing as at least one reason for why.  My baby is 6.5 months and I am not sure that I will really be able to nurse him for years to come.  It's not that I hate nursing, it's just that it's exhausting me to do it all day every day.  I feel like I'm so busy taking care of him all day that I don't take good care of myself and am just rapidly losing weight the more he gains (this started out as a good thing, but now I'm starting to look borderline unhealthy...I'm thinner than I was at my wedding and I dieted like crazy for that!)  I'd also like to get pregnant again soon and I don't know that I can even get pregnant while I nurse. As of now, still no sign of period or fertility returning, although I know it's a little early...

I have introduced some solids but that's just extra so he's not really nursing any less.  I do work a few nights a week and during that time, my baby gets a bottle or two of formula from my husband.  I don't have a good pump and my job is not one where I could find time or a place to pump.  I work the entire time I'm there and the rest of the time I'm gone I'm driving so it just doesn't work for me.  Other than that, though, he is breastfed probably 90% of the time. 

My dilemma is that I haven't given him any vaccines yet.  Like you, I've used breastfeeding as a reason for why it's "ok" to not vaccinate.  My concern is that if I don't force myself to  breastfeed until he's 3 or 4, I'm going to walk around all paranoid about him catching some VPD.  

I guess what I'm wondering is, if we do decide to wean before age 2, would it be a good idea to then get him vaccinated?  I'm a little worried about stopping because our doctor made it seem like as long as I was breastfeeding and not using daycare, I didn't have to worry too much about rotavirus.  But I didn't ask what would happen if I stopped breastfeeding.  At this point, it's too late for him to get that shot anyway, so did I commit myself to another 2-3 years of BFing?  Or does past BFing continue to help him throughout his life?  

I'm sorry if I'm no help but wanted to add in my concerns and let you know that I understand where you're coming from and am watching this thread. Thanks to all who have responded so far. 

#40 of 48 Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini529 View Post

My dilemma is that I haven't given him any vaccines yet.  Like you, I've used breastfeeding as a reason for why it's "ok" to not vaccinate.  My concern is that if I don't force myself to  breastfeed until he's 3 or 4, I'm going to walk around all paranoid about him catching some VPD.  

I guess what I'm wondering is, if we do decide to wean before age 2, would it be a good idea to then get him vaccinated?  I'm a little worried about stopping because our doctor made it seem like as long as I was breastfeeding and not using daycare, I didn't have to worry too much about rotavirus.  But I didn't ask what would happen if I stopped breastfeeding.  At this point, it's too late for him to get that shot anyway, so did I commit myself to another 2-3 years of BFing?  Or does past BFing continue to help him throughout his life?  

I'm sorry if I'm no help but wanted to add in my concerns and let you know that I understand where you're coming from and am watching this thread. Thanks to all who have responded so far. 

I've never had a doctor who really knew anything about how to reduce the severity of illnesses.  They've always been more focused on avoiding germs than supporting the body in dealing with said germs in an appropriate manner. 

The Health & Healing forum has a lot of threads on immune function, both stuff to reduce the likelihood of illness, as well as how to minimize the severity once you're sick.  And those suggestions work for a wide range of illnesses, not just the short list of vaccine available diseases. 

I breastfed my son til I weaned him when he was 21 months old and it did not help keep him healthy (yeah, I'm sure, I've done a lot of things to help his immune function and strangely, weaning him was one of them).  There are a lot more ideas out there than I realized, and I just keep finding more, building up my toolbox. 

#41 of 48 Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Our DS is 7 yo & unvaxed. He was BF til 26 mos - self weaned. We take a lot of extra C, D & B complex.

I homeschool but he's still takes this lesson & in activites. We're much healthier as a whole than the vaxing families.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#42 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Bfed each for atleast 3 years.Health benefits was the main reason.Would have done it regardless of my choice in vaccinating.I recall reading a research article on the effects of breastmilk on the gut.It was very informative.

#43 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM

My son was partially vaxed up to 6 months then I stopped them completely.  He nursed until he was two, and then he weaned himself when I got pregnant with his sister.  His sister is now 2, no vaxes at all, and still...nurses from time to time.  She'll sit on my lap and say "I turtee," (aka I'm thirsty).  I would have done it even if I had vaxed them....child-led weaning.  I think it does help, though, that they are rarely sick like many other kids and I feel the extended breastfeeding definitely helped them.  Of course even some EBF kids, or any length of BM kids, can get sick a lot as well so it's not a blanket statement but it is a gut feeling on my part.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#44 of 48 Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I didn't vax and I wanted to bf as long as possible to help with immunity so he is just about done with bf and he is now 4. So yes, I went long for health sake. 50 months. 

Mama to ds : Ocean born 10/06. Lifetime JW. :
#45 of 48 Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM

My dd is selectively vaxed and nursed for 32mths.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#46 of 48 Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

ds2 is 8 months and still going. I've put some solids on his tray like peas, banana, avacado, squash, things like that and he really doesn't care for it. He ate like 3 peas today for breakfest. He really likes breastmilk and I'm happy to give it to him for as long as he wants.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#47 of 48 Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM

The two issues are unrelated to me also, however if my unvaxed son was receving formula I would be a bit more nervous.

I plan on BFing for at least 2 years, however the next nine months of that will be doner milk as I just found out I am pregnant and I have virtually no milk right now greensad.gif

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#48 of 48 Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS 1 nursed for 2.5 years, though he did receive some vaxes.  DS 2 is still EBF at 7 months, and I plan to let him go as long as he likes, or until about 2.5 or so, and definitely some of the reasons we're EBF rather than starting any solids is the vax thing with DS2.  DS1 is 5 now, and I can count on my fingers the number of times he's been seriously ill.  I do attribute a lot of that to the extended BFing, though I think some has to do with good genes, good hygiene, and good luck. 

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page