Boy gets HIB....what do you think about this article? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20...ex.html?hpt=C2

A coworker sent this to my husband today because he knows we don't vaccinate our son.

Any thoughts on this?

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM

I skimmed it...

I think the overall tone is "Parents that don't vax don't know anything about vaccines or diseases." The parents didn't know what Hib was? Not all of us are like that. I researched each disease and vax. I KNOW that I need to know what to look for...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I skimmed it...

I think the overall tone is "Parents that don't vax don't know anything about vaccines or diseases." The parents didn't know what Hib was? Not all of us are like that. I researched each disease and vax. I KNOW that I need to know what to look for...
Does this article scare you? And why or why not?

I know you know what the disease is, but does it make you fearful that if you don't vaccinate against this disease your child could get it?

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#4 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM

You might want to look into seroreplacement....

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post

I know you know what the disease is, but does it make you fearful that if you don't vaccinate against this disease your child could get it?
No. If I were afraid of my child getting the disease I would vaccinate against it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM

That article isn't really a useful piece of information.

Summary: Boy is not vaccinated because parents think it's dangerous. Boy gets terrible but rare VPD and nearly dies. Parents now realize they were wrong and vaccinate all their children.

It's the exact reverse of the other common ancedotal story that gets told all the time: Boy is vaccinated because parents think diseases are dangerous. Boy gets terrible but rare vaccine reaction and nearly dies. Parents now realize they were wrong and do not give any more vaccines to any of their children.

Neither is a compelling argument.
:
#7 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM

I don't think the article really says anything. So a boy got HIB and almost dies. Of course it's awful he was so sick and the parents must have been beside themselves when told he had "minutes to live." But what is the story without the "some parents are stupid and irresponsible" agenda?

It is very one-sided. The "anti-vaccine" point of view is not represented well or at all really. I do think is was irresponsible for the parents to refuse the HIB vax without knowing what the disease is. And that does reflect badly on anyone who refuses vaxes.

Also, it irritates me to no end that so often VPDs in populations that should have had boosters are brought up in these articles. The vast majority of those who get those disease have not had the boosters for many reasons, not becuase they disagree with vaxs.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#8 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
Also, it irritates me to no end that so often VPDs in populations that should have had boosters are brought up in these articles. The vast majority of those who get those disease have not had the boosters for many reasons, not becuase they disagree with vaxs.
Exactly. Would they have done the story if it had gone like this:

Boy gets vax. Boy has TERRIBLE reaction to vax and doctors say "don't do this one again." Boy gets disease and almost dies.

Same basic decision (no vax), same outcome (sick and almost dying)

#9 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post

It doesn't scare me into vaxxing any more than it scares vaxxing parents to hear about a horrific vax reaction. You do what you feel is right either way. When I hear about a vaccine reaction, it does re-affirm what I think about vaccines, but when I hear about an illness from not vaccinating, I still think about all of those vaccine reactions. It's the vaccine reactions that scare me, not the illnesses, no matter what the news' spin is on it.

We all have confirmation bias and there's really no way around it. If you're already someone who vaccinates, this will re-affirm how important it is. It's not going to change anyone,

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#10 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
It's the vaccine reactions that scare me, not the illnesses, no matter what the news' spin is on it.

ITA! VPDs are treatable - vaccine reaction (assuming anyone would admit that's what it was) are not.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#11 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 PM

eh, same old same old nothing new in it. The usual scare tactics.
#12 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM

I find it really odd that the old "non-vaxers don't remember what it was like before vaccines!" arguement out when they are talking about Hib. I was never vaxed for Hib, and I am only 30. This vaccine hasn't been out that long.

Of course I feel awful that this family had to go through this, but I also don't think they should be the poster child of non vaxing when they hadn't even heard of Hib.

There are all kinds of awful events on both sides of this issue. We made our decision on an overall risk/benefit analysis so as much as my heart bleeds whenever a child is ill or injured, I can't let it sway me unless it is part of an overall trend.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#13 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM

My thoughts are that your husband needs to tell his coworker to mind his own business and/or send him a bunch of links to vaccine-related injuries and deaths.
#14 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Whats get me is....Say they did totally vaccinate him for everything under the sun, including Flu.

Then he gets stricken with a bacterial or viral infection that has the exact same outcome, only there is no vaccine for this one, so in this case, it wouldnt be the parents fault.

Totally un-newsworthy, right?
#15 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah, no impression here. HiB protects against a few strains of HiB but not all - just like the flu. Just like pneumococcal. But that doesn't mean you can't still get them. You can. And thousands, millions still do. So, whats the point?
#16 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post
My thoughts are that your husband needs to tell his coworker to mind his own business and/or send him a bunch of links to vaccine-related injuries and deaths.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#17 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM

I wonder what would have happened if he HAD been vaccinated and still got HiB? There was a study done showing that while a strain of bacteria that most frequently caused HiB was reduced with the vaccines, other more deadly strains were causing MORE HiB and were not nearly as easily treatable, etc.

I just read these stories and move on. I'm not worried about my kids getting a "VPD"...I am worried about the vax side effects.
#18 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Yeah, no impression here. HiB protects against a few strains of HiB but not all - just like the flu. Just like pneumococcal. But that doesn't mean you can't still get them. You can. And thousands, millions still do. So, whats the point?
Really. Interesting. Where did you find this information? (that the HIB and Pneumococcal vaccine only prevents certain strains? Can you point me to the references where you got your information? I would love to put something together for my husband's coworker citing studies and references.

#19 of 23 Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Hib IS a strain. the hib vaccines prevents invasive disease from Haemophilus influenzae type B. There are no other strains of "hib". There are other Haemophilus influenzae strains which are not included in the vaccine, for example Haemophilus influenzae type A.

Hib disease cannot be caused by another strain. Hib disease is only caused by hib. Invasive hib disease is different than invasive disease caused by Hia (Haemophilus influenzae type A). Hib, for example, is known to cause epiglotitis while Hia is not.

Hib disease is now almost unheard of thanks to the vaccine; in some areas, other strains of Haemophilus influenzae bacteria are on the rise. These rises, however, are pretty small in comparison to the hib drop. There is also the issue that not all Hi strains are as dangerous as Hib. Hia seems to be the most troublesome.

the PCV vaccine now contains 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria. There are others not included in the vaccine.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#20 of 23 Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Hib disease is now almost unheard of thanks to the vaccine; in some areas, other strains of Haemophilus influenzae bacteria are on the rise. These rises, however, are pretty small in comparison to the hib drop. There is also the issue that not all Hi strains are as dangerous as Hib. Hia seems to be the most troublesome.
Carrie, do you think NTHi is more or less troublesome than HiA?

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#21 of 23 Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, encapsulated bacteria seem to be the bigger issue though maybe we could argue adults Vs kids here because adults are better equipped to recognize and deal with those capsules whereas children are not, thus more invasive disease caused by encapsulated bacteria in children than the NThi.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#22 of 23 Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM

And I guess we'd also have to talk area as well.

https://profreg.medscape.com/px/getl...8xNzM1MzI4MA==

NThi is more of a problem in the USA than Hia, according to this 2007 study, but other places have seen more Hia and its rising.

here is one from Brazil that finds Hia causes more invasive disease than nontypeable there:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20932170

so NThi is "more troublesome" if you consider that it is more prevalent so it's more "out there." Hia is less present.

I think if Hia and NThi were equal in number, I would rather prevent Hia. DOes that make sense? Hia taken on a one-to-one consideration causes more invasive disease with higher risks of negative outcomes.

#23 of 23 Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM

a few thoughts...this isn't just about a boy getting Hib - its about rare complications from Hib. They didn't choose to run, 'unvaxed boy gets mild case of Hib, needs no treatment."

If H1N1 were hot this year, they would have tested him to see if he's carrying H1N1 and attributed the complications to H1N1. I did notice there was a definitive absence of meningitis scare stories last fall. H1N1 stories are gone, meningitis stories are back.

All in all, a very rare complication resulted in a very scary ordeal, but certainly not a defense of the aggressive, out of control CDC vaccination schedule.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page