I think someone's baby might have been damaged - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just met a girl with 8 month old twins today. She is from Poland, and her English is a little hard to understand. I have 6 month old, so we got to talking about babies. She was telling me that one of the twins is very behind the other one. She then asked me how many shots the ped gives my children.
I have never been in this conversation before and I could feel that something was wrong. I told her I dont do shots and her face looked very sad.
She then told me that when the twins were 2 months old and came home from their shot visit, one of them was sleeping and her arms flew out and her face looked crazy, Due to the laguage barrier she could only mimick the action. It looked like a seizure or something nervous system related. She said she never saw anything like that before. Then she said that the baby sreamed screams like she never heard and that she, her mother, and her husband were all crying while they were trying to console this baby and listening to the screams. She said the baby was never the same after this series of shots and she knows (and pointed to her heart) that they did something to the baby. Her eyes kept welling up with tears.
She has told the pediatrician ever since then that she knows something is wrong and he just keeps giving the baby shots and saying twins dont always develop the same.
I told her I will help her anyway I can and that she can have my ped see the baby. I told her she does NOT have to do what that dr. says.
She is due next week for more shots. I told her she can decline.
I am going to see her again next week. I want to help, but dont know exactly what to do and dont want to overstep.
I cant stop thinking about this baby. I feel so sick right now.
Any advice?
#2 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM

I would look for DAN doctors in your area and basically tell her that this type of doctor would believe her.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Help her cancel the appointment, or go with her to the appointment. I have a bad feeling that if she goes to the appointment without you, the doctor will take advantage of her limited English and vaccinate anyway.

You will not be overstepping. She is crying out for help.
#5 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Does her DH speak English? Maybe try speaking to him first?

I don't have any other suggestions. Sorry.

But I think what you are trying to do is a very good thing and GL!
#6 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 AM

OMg that poor baby. I second seeing if you can help her cancel her appointment. Growing up, my mom's doctor was from Poland, maybe there is a doctor in your area who is too?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#7 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM

My experience with immigrant Polish people is that they really will not question what a doctor says. (Ok, big generalization here, I know...) It really might be a good idea if you were able to go with to the appointment or could help her cancel it.

I am not a native English speaker, although I have learned English since I was 9. For me, it was very stressful to speak on the phone. Since you are having a hard time understanding her, I can only imagine how she feels, needing to cancel an appointment or trying to disagree with the doctor. It also sounds as if she does not know how to help her child, so whatever sources you might be able to offer her might be way more than what she could ever find by herself.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#8 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.
I am going to try to feel like Im not overstepping.
I really am seeing this as a call for help.
I just met this woman on Friday and hired her to clean my house.
This was our first conversation ever and I did feel bold enough to say, "Tell your ped, NO shots today". I told her he can NOT make her do it and possibly the more the baby has the worse it can be. I told her I will help her.
She said she is SURE something happened to the baby the night of the shots.
I can NOT believe this dr. has continued vaxing on scedule for a baby who's mother insists something isnt right.
She said the shots in Poland are no where near as many as here and everyone is so healthy. I just cant believe it.
I dont even want to get into the corruption. I really just want to help anyway I can. I hope and pray that this baby is okay.
#9 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Oh that poor baby.... and that poor mama!

I was curious and googled the Polish vaccine schedule (seriously, what did people do before the internet?) and found this.

They still have lots of vax.... but no Hib, no Prevnar, no Meningococcol.... and their schedule only calls for up to two vax per visit, which definitely seems more sensible than North America's plan to shoot kids up with as much as possible at one time. But Poland seems to still be doing DTP instead of DTaP, and BCG. Yick. (That sched is from 2006, so maybe things have changed....)

Please help this lady however you can. How scary it must be to live in a foreign country with a sick child, not speaking the language well, and having a doctor who insists on doing what you are sure is damaging your child!!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#10 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was born in Poland but have been living in Canada since I was nine and I know from being exposed to a lot of immigrants that they won't question what a Dr tells them because they are use to following Dr orders all the time. Questioning a Dr wasn't an option in Poland so a lot of immigrants don't even realize that they have options here and can say no.

happytears.gifMe - married to DHROTFLMAO.gifMomma to furbabies dog2.gifStanley and dog2.gifOscar. TTCing #1 after angel.gif 10/13angel.gif 4/14 waiting for my rainbow1284.gif
#11 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1979 View Post
I was born in Poland but have been living in Canada since I was nine and I know from being exposed to a lot of immigrants that they won't question what a Dr tells them because they are use to following Dr orders all the time. Questioning a Dr wasn't an option in Poland so a lot of immigrants don't even realize that they have options here and can say no.
I clearly told her that she DOES NOT HAVE to get the shots.
I didnt want to be aggressive so I told her to tell the dr. "No shots today".
I said he cant make her do it and she doesnt even have to have an answer of why.
I HOPE she can stick to her guns.
I will see her tomorrow and post an update.
#12 of 18 Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post
I clearly told her that she DOES NOT HAVE to get the shots.
I didnt want to be aggressive so I told her to tell the dr. "No shots today".
I said he cant make her do it and she doesnt even have to have an answer of why.
I HOPE she can stick to her guns.
I will see her tomorrow and post an update.
i'm just now seeing this, but is there an update? what a horrible situation.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#13 of 18 Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
besides the above-print out and show her your state laws regarding school/exemptions

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#14 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
North America's plan to shoot kids up with as much as possible at one time
It's ironic reading this. I was just at my family doctor and read a paper that was pinned up and it read " Always ask at every appointment "what shots does my kid need today?" Just sick.
#15 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

The update is...

I saw her again and repeated everything I said. She clearly understands that she doesn't have to do it. I told her I'll help her with what ever she needs.

She has another check up coming up. I can only tell her what her rights are, I cant force her to do anything.

It really makes me sick. What she described was a pretty terrible reaction. Every time I think about that innocent baby screaming inconsolably for hours, it makes me sick.

She also mentioned that the baby is scared easily ever since these 3 month shots (is now 9 months). The language barrier makes it hard to understand.

It could be that this baby is perfectly fine, but I sure wouldn't give this baby anything else for a LONG time at least.

The other thing that makes me so upset is that she told the dr. about the reaction and he just brushed it aside. At least if he marked down that this baby had a reaction and cant tolerate the shots, the mom could get a medical exemption. SICK SICK SICK. This world we live in and the people the majority trusts do not have our best interest at heart. $$$$$$$$$$$$$grossedout.gif

#16 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Poor baby :(

This just totally breaks my heart!  This baby I watch a couple times a week (she's almost moving to another state now) just had her 12 month shots.............just kills me!! At least "my" baby didn't have a bad reaction!!

Ugh - sad sad world.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#17 of 18 Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 PM

True,  no other countries have more vaccines than we do.

http://www.euvac.net/graphics/euvac/vaccination/vaccination.html

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#18 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 AM

There might also be natural remedies or homeopathic remedies that can help the baby get back to his/her normal. It may not allow the baby to be at the same level as the twin, but may help his/her development or to get those toxins out of her body. I'd suggest asking a natural doctor in the area. Some examples are:

http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/nsp/vaccination_detox.htm

http://www.drcarley.com/

http://www.healthiertalk.com/natural-vaccine-detox-0554

But, again, I stress talking to a natural doctor (as I am NOT one) as I am not sure if these remedies are safe for infants. But, they are just an example that there are some remedies out there to help detox vaccinations. I'm not as sure about homeopathic remedies, as to which one would work.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page