Tetanus and splinters - Kinda Urgent, Mamas... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my LO got a small splinter in the heel a while ago. It was pretty superficial, and we decided after prodding, picking, tweezing and poking to let it work itself out. Well it finally did, the little sucker came out and now DC is saying it hurts if I pinch the site. She isnt in pain when she walks at all. It looks like a tiny pimple sized crater with a hole. If I pinch it, I can get a tad of clear fluid, and I made it bleed ever so slightly tonight. I put hydrogen peroxide on it, then neosporin, then covered it with a band aid (as I had being doing when it first happened.) We're going to the pediatrician in the AM. I was terrified earlier, but now I'm trying to be calm. Might be the red wine.

Anyhow, you know whats gonna come up. Tetanus shot. My child is 100% unvaxed and I don't want to start now. I'd rather go the route of antibiotics though the thought of that terrifies me too. Anyone had a splinter or something that sound like this, and avoid the tetanus shot?

WWYD??
#2 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 PM

It doesn't sound like it warrants tetanus or abx IMO, and I wouldn't even bother with the Dr for it. What you described sounds totally normal to me.
#3 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM

I agree sounds like it will be OK. I would watch for infection though but other than that I wouldnt think to much of it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Even the oozing? That just concerns me, like its slowly getting infected. Then again, this child has hardly ever been sick nor had anything like this so I've never seen this probably very normal thing.

She bumps herself a lot and gets cuts and bruises and whatnot but this splinter has been in there for a while. I probably sound super vigilant but I don't want to be too casual. I know this sounds pedantic but I also don't wanna deal with "if you just got the shot in the first place..." nonsense. I will seriously split in two and it will not be pretty. Looking for reassurance and some positive words.

xo

(when I say oozing I mean clear fluid)
#5 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:44 PM

clear fluid is part of the healing process and totally normal
#6 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:44 PM

It could be a small particle of the splinter was left behind causing the oozing. I have had that happen before.

I know what you mean not being casual you cant help but worry about the what if's.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:44 PM

At this point, I'd probably not take her to the doctor. Go to the store (drug store) and buy some Hibiclens, continue using the neosporin, stop using the peroxide (kills new fragile growing tissue) and watch it.

Your biggest risk is MRSA, it's a community thing now, not just a hospital thing. Hibiclens might not kill it, so she might need antibiotics, but probably not yet.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#8 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 12:07 AM

I agree with the Hibiclens idea. It's a wonderful medical soap. Kills all the nasties and doesn't burn.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#9 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I believe if it has been over 72 hours since the initial splinter then you have missed the window for a tetanus shot. I would just keep it clean and not worry about it. I would also stop picking at it and only wash and cover it. The more you mess with it the more likely you are going to experience a problem.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#10 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. Went to the doctor. She said whatever it was popped out and just to keep it clean by using a prescription antibiotic ointment and letting it air out . Most importantly there is no infection. Hooray!
#11 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM

I've used Calendula ointment on splinters dd wouldn't let me take out and the wound seems to "release" the splinter.

I also used it on a sebaceous cyst on her foot when she was a baby. It had been developing for 4 months, but "dissolved" itself in two days with the Calendula.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#12 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

wow really good to know. thanks!
#13 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may also want to look into colloidal silver for wound cleaning.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Marnica, I was just thinking of colloidal silver!
I've also used crushed garlic mixed in water, to put on small wounds.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page