Books/Info??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my daughter has been on the Dr. Sear's alternative vaccination schedule, along with tweeks from me (we have refused a few vaccines, such as the MMR since it's no longer seperated and flu shots). She'll be 2 in 2 weeks and I am expecting my second baby in February. I have been doing more and more research about vaccines, especially after my daughter had an awful reaction to the 4th dose of the DTAP and am considering not continuing with her vaccinations and not vaccinating my new baby. However, I know NOTHING about homeopathic, natural remedies/vitamins/supplements. I did start giving my daughter probiotics, since we don't do the flu shot, but I want to know more. Does anyone recommend any good books or websites that will give me the information I need to protect my children and help boost their immunity naturally?? I would GREATLY appreciate any help!!

Thank you!!
#2 of 6 Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 AM

I highly recommend Vaccination, A Thoughtful Parents Guide. The book is not up to date on the science of vaccination and the issues regarding the newer vaccines are not covered. It also does not go into vaccine schedules. For instance if you wanted just pertussis or just tetanus, the book does not cover which vaccines you can split and which ones you cannot.

However, it gives a very clear overview of the immune system and how to support the immune system with herbs and diet (I can't remember if she addresses homeopathy in the book or not).

Mostly what I like about the book is that she gives options other than vaccination, but does not push an agenda of not using vaccines.

I had not opened the book for a couple of years and just opened it recently again and was pleasantly surprised by how much helpful information is in the book.

See if you can get the book from your library and if it is something that you would refer to regularly, you can get a copy for yourself. You can find it for $1 on abebooks.

Good luck

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#3 of 6 Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I read "how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" by robert mendhelson. It is dated, but I got some helpful information out of it. I'm interested in learning more about natural health and nutrition as well. Currently, I give my 2yo vitamin c and d every day, in hopes of keeping her immune system up.

As far as making the decision not to vax any longer- I am in the same boat as you- my DD was delayed/selective until something happened that may or may not be a vax reaction, then I started researching, and the more I learned, the more "anti vaccine" I became. My second child has had none as well. If you want more vaccine info, please let me know. I have gathered a lot of info from here and other websites.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#4 of 6 Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much!! I will take any information I can get. I have read Dr. Sears book and just ordered another, Make and Informed Decision by Mayer Eisenstein. I also have How to Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor. I just feel like there is still so much I need to learn!! I will definitely get Vaccination, A Thoughtful Parent's Guide from the library as well.

I was in the same boat and thought I was making informed decisions until my daughter had a reaction to the DTAP. After that I began looking up info like crazy and found that a lot of kids have a bad reaction to the 4th and 5th doses of the DTAP. It's so scary, the media has you believing that if you don't vaccinate your a bad parent and you are putting your children in grave danger, but the vaccines are just as dangerous and that information is hidden!! I'm so grateful for any and every bit of information I can get my hands on!!

Thanks again!!
#5 of 6 Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP,

Both previous suggestions are great ones. I will add a few more:

1) Your Vital Child: A Natural Healing Guide for Caring Parents by Mark and Angela Stengler, ND's

2) Vaccine Free Prevention and Treatment of Infectious Contagious Disease with Homeopathy by Kate Birch

3) Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants by Dana Ullman, MPH

4) Superimmunity for Kids : What to Feed Your Children to Keep Them Healthy Now, and Prevent Disease in Their Future by Leo Galland, MD

5)Gentle Healing for Baby and Child: A Parent's Guide to Child-Friendly Herbs and Other Natural Remedies for Common Ailments and Injuries by Andrea Candee

I believe all are avaliable from Amazon.com

Also I would suggest giving your kids vitamin D in addition to probiotics and Sodium ascorbate. Good Luck!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!! Thanks!! I'll be checking all of those out!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page