thoughts on older children... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We put our 12 yr. old DS in school for the first time this year (we've homeschooled up til now), and the school is requiring a waiver, which is fine.  I have to meet with the HD nurse before the county will issue one, which seems kinda silly, but ok, I can jump through the hoops.  Is there anything I should be aware of before going into that meeting?  I'm in MI, fwiw.

Also, we are revisiting the idea of vaccinating our DS, and wondering at 12, is there anything we should possibly consider having him vaxxed for.  The only thing that concerns me enough to want to research again is mumps.  He's never had any of the "childhood diseases", except pertussis.  

Any mamas BTDT?  Thanks!

#2 of 15 Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?  Bump!

#3 of 15 Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM

I only have young children, but I often wonder what I'll do when they're older, mainly about the MMR and Chicken Pox. I asked this a while ago, and mostly everyone said they'd likely never vax for anything. What about bringing the info (the package insert from the vaccine, detailed info on the disease, etc.) to your son- maybe he'd like a say in it? IDK. It's hard for me since I only have babies right now, but I can say that I understand considering it. I think I'll just do more research at that point, given their increased risk of complications, their age, and their specific situation (school, where we live, etc.). I hope someone else can chime in for you. Good luck with your decision.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#4 of 15 Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM

At your son's age, my first step would be to get a titer test done to see if he already has immunity to the diseases you are worried about.  Then take it from there.  In any case, since 12-13 year olds are supposed to get boosters for diptheria, pertussis and tetanus...and most colleges request MMR boosters (and will likely add chicken pox at some point), your son is in the same boat as most kids who have been vaccinated, ie., they're level of immunity is in question.

btw - I thought I'd mention, I couldn't tell from the post, but having pertussis as a child does not confer lifelong protection.

#5 of 15 Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM

I haven't changed my mind just because my kid is all grown up now. We haven't done anything different. Although obviously since she is an adult she could choose to get vaxed if she wanted, but she hasn't.

#6 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM

I agree about getting a titer done first, before jumping into vaxxes he may not need. But there may be other reasons to vax now rather than as an adult. Although there are no laws requiring vaccines, some careers do. If he decides to go into the military, or into a healthcare profession, his job may require certain vaccines. I am a nurse, even the nursing school I attended did not accept personal waivers. I have also had jobs that will not allow unvaccinated personnel around patients (because of herd immunity). I know this probably doesn't affect most people, but my career has influenced my line of thinking.

If you have him vaxxed now, he is still young enough to receive pediatric doses of vaccines rather than adult doses. I believe adult doses still have mercury, since that ingredient was (at least initially) removed only from pediatric vaccines. Also, his health insurance will still pay for vaccines, but adults tend to need to pay out of pocket and it can be expensive.

Most people can probably go their whole lives without *needing* to be vaccinated. I'm not trying to pressure you. But these are factors that went into my decision to vaccinate on a delayed schedule rather than not at all.
#7 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 01:06 PM

very interested in this topic... I have thought a lot about mumps at least for ds when he is 12 or so... that's the one that I think I would feel just horrible about him getting and then becoming sterile :o 

He's only 7 right now, though... so....

#8 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

I agree about getting a titer done first, before jumping into vaxxes he may not need. But there may be other reasons to vax now rather than as an adult. Although there are no laws requiring vaccines, some careers do. If he decides to go into the military, or into a healthcare profession, his job may require certain vaccines. I am a nurse, even the nursing school I attended did not accept personal waivers. I have also had jobs that will not allow unvaccinated personnel around patients (because of herd immunity). I know this probably doesn't affect most people, but my career has influenced my line of thinking.

If you have him vaxxed now, he is still young enough to receive pediatric doses of vaccines rather than adult doses. I believe adult doses still have mercury, since that ingredient was (at least initially) removed only from pediatric vaccines. Also, his health insurance will still pay for vaccines, but adults tend to need to pay out of pocket and it can be expensive.

Most people can probably go their whole lives without *needing* to be vaccinated. I'm not trying to pressure you. But these are factors that went into my decision to vaccinate on a delayed schedule rather than not at all.

I don't understand how a person with a no vax philosophy ( since this is the no vax forum ) would choose to vax a child based on their possible choice of schooling or career as an adult.

#9 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 PM

I would still not vax, regardless of my child's age. The ingredients are still disgusting and do not belong injected into a body of any age. We stay as healthy as we can, and don't worry about the worst case scenario for everything that happens in life. But if we did, I'd be more concerned with the worst case scenario from a vaccine reaction than the worst case scenario from the mumps (or any other illness).

The odds of sterility from mumps is so obscenely low that would not factor into my decision at all.

#10 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Arduinna- I don't think this subforum is limited only to people who are 100% against vax, when there are so many shades of gray.  This is exactly where I would ask the same question because considering giving a child his or her first and only vaccine at the age of twelve is a very far cry from the selected/delayed schedules that get discussed on that forum. 

I have not btdt, just interested in others' responses. Still not considering any vaxs for my 2yo at this time but I am open to the possibility that we might choose to vaccinate her for something in the future. As time goes on it becomes clear that no one will ever convince me any vaccine is necessary; but it's really the vaccination of infants that I have a big problem with. I liked Littlec's suggestion of sharing the information with your son and asking his input. He might be very appreciative of all the research and consideration you have put into making the best healthcare decisions for him and realize it is time for him to do the same.

#11 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to have him tested for titres first.  I don't really want to vaccinate him based on a possible career choice 10 years from now.  However, I do appreciate that perspective, since it's not something I'd thought of.  I'm thinking that I need to discuss it with him, and see what he thinks, although it is ultimately my and DH's decision.  I'm not inclined to vaccinate him, but since he's my first, of course I need to really think it through.  Thanks for all your input ladies, it is helpful to hear others' input.

#12 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 AM

I wasn't trying to post an argument in the wrong forum.  I think at heart I am still against vaccines, which is why I still relate more to the non-vaxxing crowd.  If you think about it, my reasons for vaccinating had more to do with social pressures than personal beliefs.  I'm glad to hear you are comfortable with your decision.

BTW, what happened when your son got pertussis?  How old was he, and how did his doctor react since he was unvaccinated?  I've always been afraid of pertussis since you still see babies hospitalized because of it. :(

#13 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I would not use future career choices (or any future decisions) as a reason to vax now. Maybe people will have wised up and stopped vaxing by then. Or the requirements will change. Or vaxes will change. Or natural immunity will be had and follow-up vaxes won't be necessary (for most diseases adult boosters are needed, so vaxing a child doesn't really save them from much). Or anything.

#14 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wasn't trying to post an argument in the wrong forum.  I think at heart I am still against vaccines, which is why I still relate more to the non-vaxxing crowd.  If you think about it, my reasons for vaccinating had more to do with social pressures than personal beliefs.  I'm glad to hear you are comfortable with your decision.

BTW, what happened when your son got pertussis?  How old was he, and how did his doctor react since he was unvaccinated?  I've always been afraid of pertussis since you still see babies hospitalized because of it. :(

I did not have him formally diagnosed, since by the time I realized it was pertussis, we were past the point at which any abx would have been helpful.  Plus, we were out of state at the time, and I didn't really know where to take them.  However, he had the classic symptoms, and the progression of the illness and duration of the cough were consistent with pertussis.  He was 10, I think.  He was pretty uncomfortable, but did survive, lol.  My younger DC had it more severely, specifically my DD1 and DS2  (they were 7 and 18 months, respectively, at the time).  I can see why it is such a scary thing for babies; it was really hard to see my children coughing so hard (they would almost turn blue around the mouth, and almost vomited several times, got very red in the face, etc.)  Unpleasant to be sure, but I know that they do have some degree of natural immunity to it now. There wasn't much I could do to alleviate the coughing; a vaporiser did help a little, essential oils, some cough medicine, hard candies to suck on, lozenges, etc., but it is really a waiting game for it to run its course and the lungs to heal.

#15 of 15 Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM

We are in Ohio so no advise on the exemption.My kids are 11 and 8 so I have thought about vaccines again. I recall a girl getting the varivax at 12 and developing chicken pox encephalitis(sp).Her heart stopped a few times,but she survived and went into rehab to walk/talk. I always think about her when I consider that vaccine. It is a hard choice.The risks are no less now that the kids are older.I was injured as a young adult.My dh was injured as an adult.You just never know.Atleast being older they can express better what is going on,but doctors are still less than helpful if adverse events occur.

I would be more inclined to consider vaccines IF the adverse events listed in vaccines were acknowledge.Sure they acknowledge they can happen,but when they DO happen the doctors will not do anything. I don't want to deal with vaccine related issues.On the other hand you will get a lot of attitude if your child gets a disease there is a vaccine for.No attitude if  you do the vaccines,the vaccine failed, and they get the disease anyway.

Whether you vaccinate or not you will need to be prepared with how to deal with the adverse events or the diseases. My mom got diptheria in her 20's and she was vaccinated as a child.

I told my kids to avoid careers that put your life at risk,and forced vacciantion does exactly that.Those that force the vaccines will not compensate you if you become ill from the vaccinations.No,you will just fade away and someone else will take your place in that career slot. Most people just give in to the pressure and hope for the best.

Best of health for your child whatever you decide to do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page