Christmas relatives and newborn who's fully vaxxed - please help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds just turned 5 and is totally unvaxxed.  My concern is for a completely vaxxed 2 m/o newborn that he'll be in close proximity to for about six hours on Christmas.  Does this newly vaxxed newborn pose a risk (ie: shedding) to my unvaxxed son?  I'm sorry if I sound ignorant on this...but I am shy.gif tia, Kate 

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#2 of 12 Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Only live vaccines shed, and that would be rotavirus... Chances are your kiddo is already immune, otherwise, there is the risk of transmitting it to your child and he might come down with the nasty poopies, but should be immune afterwards. All the other stuff 2 months olds get is dead virus (e.g. IPV) or bacterial vaccines that don't shed (pertussis, pneumonia, HiB, and so on)... Be wary of 12 months olds, they usually get the MMR and chickenpox, at least that's what the military bases around here do. I stay away from them for 28 days...

#3 of 12 Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Agreed that at that age all one would have to be wary of is rotavirus, but unless your DD will be changing this babies diapers, then I wouldn't worry about ot too much

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM

what is shedding? I've never heard that term before

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#5 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 AM

My son is fully vaxed, and he got his very first shots at 2mo.  I wouldn't think there would be a problem unless the vaccines had been given within the last 2-3days to a week.

I'm perpetually confused by why people don't vax and then are afraid of taking their unvaxxed children around vaxed children.

#6 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM

I think perhaps some more researching on the this topic would be a good idea so you know what you are dealing with, whats safe, etc.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#7 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

My son is fully vaxed, and he got his very first shots at 2mo.  I wouldn't think there would be a problem unless the vaccines had been given within the last 2-3days to a week.

I'm perpetually confused by why people don't vax and then are afraid of taking their unvaxxed children around vaxed children.

Live virus vaccines shed and have the potential to be transmitted to unvaccinated people/children.

Rotavirus vaccine is live for example. This virus is shed in the stools of recently vaccinated children for I believe up to 30 days. Anyone who comes inc ocntact with the feces of a child recently vaccinated with the rotavirus vaccine is at an increased risk of contracting Rotavirus.

The MMR is another live virus vax, as if flumist and the varicella vax where the virus is shed in stool and respiratory secretions.

Shedding is one of the reasons why they stopped using the Live oral polio vax in this country. The vaccine was causing polio, but also there were cases of people contracting the disease from chaging their infants diapers after they had received the vaccine.

I don't think shedding is a HUGE issue particulary with the MMR, it may be moreso with the rotavirus vaccine. But this is why parents of unvaxed kids are wary when they know their children may be around a recently vaccinated child.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Your child, who is presumably out and about in the world and in physical contact with far more people, presents more of a "danger" to the newborn than this 2mo does to your 5yo. Theoretically, your child could be carrying and give the baby chickenpox, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, hib, and other diseases that a 2mo has not been vaxed (or fully so) against. Is this likely? No. But it's more likely than a newborn transmitting these diseases to your child.
#9 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Your child, who is presumably out and about in the world and in physical contact with far more people, presents more of a "danger" to the newborn than this 2mo does to your 5yo. Theoretically, your child could be carrying and give the baby chickenpox, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, hib, and other diseases that a 2mo has not been vaxed (or fully so) against. Is this likely? No. But it's more likely than a newborn transmitting these diseases to your child.

The problem I am seeing is that they COULD be carrying, where-as a vaccinated child definately IS carrying.

lovbeingamommy likes this.
#10 of 12 Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 AM

Well this has been a most educational thread for me!! I just learned what shedding is. Never even knew it was possible; although it sounds to me like as long as the unvaxed doesn't play with the vaxed poops, it should be alright. Correct?

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#11 of 12 Old 12-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Well I am reading it sheds through the respiratory system also :/

#12 of 12 Old 12-25-2010, 05:54 AM

The 2mo is more at risk from EVERYONE. I would suggest you keep your child far away from the baby,because if that baby gets so much as a sniffle the blame will fall on the unvaccinated child before it falls on the adults(who likely spread it).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page