ER visit and then "randomly selected" by the CDC for a call - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas,

My husband thinks I'm completely paranoid on this.  What do you think?  (sorry long post ;)

The night before last, my 20 month old was messing around with his sister's scooter (a new razor scooter from christmas).  He fell kind of on top of it in the kitchen on the terazzo floor and his finger got smashed.  It split open on the side (alongside the fingernail of his ring finger down to the base of the nail).  It bled like crazy and we called the after hours clinic at the pediatrician's office to see if we should go there.  They said since it might need sutures we need to go to urgent care.

We went to an Urgent Care place we've been before.  It has been a good experience for me in the past (although as many of you already know the vaccine issue ALWAYS comes up which I hate).  Turns out that the place I had previously went to had moved down the street and this was a new place in that location (new name, same building).  Since we had already registered, I decided to stick with it.

The doctor was weird.  He came in with a lip full of chewing tobacco which seems very unprofessional.  He told us it didn't need stitched and went on to list all the ways in which my son is very healthy- his age, the fact that he's full vaxed etc. and that should help it heal.  I told him he was not vaccinated.  He got an irritated look and say "can I ask why?"  I kind of smirked and told him "I'm not interested in having a vaccine debate right now."  He dropped it.  He gave us a bunch of advice like how Neosporin is a rip off, just to use tap water and soap to clean, why the cut is not a good candidate for sutures, etc.  My DH seemed to like him.  I just didn't.  He just seemed "off" in a lot of the comments he made.

The next day I took my son to his montessori preschool and told the teachers not to get his finger wet, but if it did get wet (he's ALWAYS tryin to go to that kid sized sink and play in the water) to change the bandage.  They called later that day and asked me if his finger didn't need more attention as it looked really bad.  I started to wonder if I needed a second opinion (but seeing as how it was too late for stitches at this point anyhow, was not sure if it would do any good).  I called the pediatrician and left a message with the nurse.  She was going to talk to the ped and call me back.  In the meantime, I spoke with one of my good friends who is the head ER nurse at a hospital in Colorado.  Based on what I described, he felt the advice we got from the urgent care doc was solid and on target.  I relaxed.

Then the nurse called back from the ped's office.  She told me that the ped agreed with the advice, but that he felt my son should have a tetanus shot.  I get irritated with this kind of advice because I feel by now my doc should know I'm not going to do that, but every once in a while he mentioned a vaccine he thinks we need.  I guess perhaps he's obligated to mention it (??) since that's the standard recommendation.  I explained to the nurse that I don't think its necessary.  That an unvaccinated child would not benefit from the tetanus vaccine anyhow and would need the TIG if that was the case.  Also, the wound was not a puncture wound but a smash/split and it bled profusely, happened indoors with a new scooter and was promptly washed and covered. 

THEN as I was making dinner later that evening, I got a call from the CDC saying I was "randomly selected" to complete a survey about my children's vaccination status.  I have done some googling and I know others on MDC have gotten this call (vaxxing and non vaxxing).  However, the lady said I should have received a letter telling me I was selected.  I did not.  I have been at this address for over 4 years.  No reason to have not received it.  Also, I find it disturbing and downright creepy that I got this call the next day after going to urgent care and having the weirdo show irritation/concern about our child being non-vaccinated.  DH thinks this idea is absurd because he thinks that doc would not care enough to "report" us, and even if he did, the CDC would not act on the info and certainly not that quickly.  I find it far too coincidental for my taste.

I read a thread on here from someone who had done the survey and was shocked at how intrusive and manipulative it is.  They start with general questions asking for just the child's first initial and by the end, they are asking for your pediatrician's name, the child's name and DOB etc. 

I asked the lady what it was for and she said to help the CDC develop policy and to understand vaccination rates in our area.  I told her that I did not feel it was truly anonymous (as she had my phone number) and regardless if the personal info was stripped out before passing along the data, I was not interested in giving any answers that may or may not please the CDC and will influence "policy" that will possibly affect my freedom in the future.

The lady was nice and immediately gave me the website info, a phone number to call if I wanted to participate, and a phone number for the ethics review board. 

Something does not compute here.  WHY can they just not go based on anonymous data from docs or insurance companies?  It seems like a highly invasive way to gather data with lots of personal info attached.  I've read people on MDC that think its simply because a lot of parents forget or misremember their child's shot history.  If the data comes from docs/insurance, this would not be an issue. 

And I worry that those who have given their docs info out are simply giving the CDC reason to put heat on them to pressure patients into compliance.

Do you think I have reason to be disturbed or this was some messed up coincidence (my letter never having arrived AND getting the call right after that annoyed urgent care doc)?   

For those of you who want to know more about the survey questions, this mama's experience is good to read about.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1268622/cdc-national-immunization-survey-i-was-randomly-selected/40

XOXO

B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree that I think the survey is instrusive and there are other ways to gather this info if they wanted to.

I do think it was a cooincidence however. I have received that call and I never got a letter (I chose not to participate). Think about his rationally. Even if that doc did "report you", the reports would be to CPS, not the CDC and even if the CDC were privvy to this type of info, your hubby is right, you would not be hearing from them that quickly!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM

I agree with Marnica and your dh. Your Dr. would be reporting you to CPS and I don't think the CDC would be able to respond that quickly unless the person was married to your Dr ;o)

The CDC could get the statistical data directly from doctors/hospitals/clinics so there must be other reasons for such a time consuming and intrusive survey.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 AM

;

#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I also think it was a coincidence, for all the reasons mentioned. I would have done the survey though. If the non-vaxxing parents are too frightened to answer the survey, they only get answers from vaxxing parents. That's going to skew the data, and is not going to help your cause one bit. As for getting the info from the doctors, just from listening to the mamas on this board, it seems like people routinely lie to their doctors re vax status or vax intentions, so that's not going to provide an accurate picture either. If it turns out that half the parents aren't vaccinating and there's no surge of diseases (just as an example), then this will force the CDC to re-evaluate the data. It also may help to change the laws that require vaccinations in the first place. I understand what you mean about non-anonymity though. I went through a hassle some years back when I got the long form census that asks many rather intrusive questions and required you to put your name at the top. 

#6 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

I would have done the survey though. If the non-vaxxing parents are too frightened to answer the survey, they only get answers from vaxxing parents. That's going to skew the data, and is not going to help your cause one bit.

Actually, the CDC wants to understand the motivations and beliefs of non-vaccinating parents, so they can tailor advertising campaigns to convince them to vaccinate, and to also prevent others from becoming non-vaccinating parents as well. If they just wanted to know the percentage of vaccinated/unvaccinated kids, there are better ways of getting that information besides calling parents.

By the way, BethSLP, the call was random. They call thousands and thousands of people, and occasionally the people will be non-vaccinating parents, and occasionally they will have recently had a run-in with a doctor.

k9sarchik likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

I also think it was a coincidence, for all the reasons mentioned. I would have done the survey though. If the non-vaxxing parents are too frightened to answer the survey, they only get answers from vaxxing parents. That's going to skew the data, and is not going to help your cause one bit. As for getting the info from the doctors, just from listening to the mamas on this board, it seems like people routinely lie to their doctors re vax status or vax intentions, so that's not going to provide an accurate picture either. If it turns out that half the parents aren't vaccinating and there's no surge of diseases (just as an example), then this will force the CDC to re-evaluate the data. It also may help to change the laws that require vaccinations in the first place. I understand what you mean about non-anonymity though. I went through a hassle some years back when I got the long form census that asks many rather intrusive questions and required you to put your name at the top. 

Telling the ER that you are up to date when you are not, doesn't change the fact that the ER will know how many Tetanus injections they gave to people of X age. If they want to know what vaccines are administered to what ages when, they can get this from doctors/facilities that actually administer them.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 10 Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Actually, the CDC wants to understand the motivations and beliefs of non-vaccinating parents, so they can tailor advertising campaigns to convince them to vaccinate, and to also prevent others from becoming non-vaccinating parents as well. If they just wanted to know the percentage of vaccinated/unvaccinated kids, there are better ways of getting that information besides calling parents.

I thought you were being a little paranoid, but after having been to the CDC website and reading about their reasons for the calls, I stand corrected. You're best off not to participate. They also ask for permission to get the doctor's records afterwards, as pertains to vaccines. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

]

Telling the ER that you are up to date when you are not, doesn't change the fact that the ER will know how many Tetanus injections they gave to people of X age. If they want to know what vaccines are administered to what ages when, they can get this from doctors/facilities that actually administer them.

Yes, that's true. For some reason I was just thinking verbal reporting. 

I am glad I live in a country where I can or can not vaccinate. 

#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 AM

"All of these surveys are conducted in households across the country by telephone. The telephone numbers are randomly selected by a computer using scientific methods so it is possible that unlisted numbers may also be contacted. For telephone numbers that can be matched to addresses, a letter from the Director of the National Center for Health Statistics that describes the survey is mailed before a telephone interview is conducted." http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis/participant.htm

#10 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM

This is an interesting article regarding "pesky CDC callers."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41176424/ns/health-health_care/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page