No vax and private PreK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this should go here or in the "learning/school" forum...please feel free to move :)

Can a preK (private, church based) deny a religious exemption (state = Kansas) for not vaxing?

I am sure there is more to my question, but that is all I can think of at this moment (when I should be in be already asleep ;).

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Here is Kansas law regarding school vaccine requirements and exemptions.

http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_72/Article_52/72-5209.html

Notice this wording: "every pupil enrolling or enrolled in any school"

So it appears that the vaccine and exemption law applies to all schools.

Also, notice the word, "adherent," NOT "member."

Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Our children went to a private pre school in Derby and are now in public school in Winfield.  We have never had a problem.  I would suggest writing ONLY what the wording is in the law and do not give too much info.  Our school letters said this

"We Child's Name family are adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations."

And sign it.  I believe that you have to fill the KCI out.  Sign only the spot for the excemption and nothing else.  My son is mostly vaxed but we did not fill ANY of the vax that he did have.  It is completely blank except for the signature.

the only problem we have had at all is that in public preschool...we did fill out what he had had.  the next year we got a call from the school nurse wanting to know why we vaxed and then now had a religious excemption.  She was very careful with her questions.  i simply repeated the law back to her that we were "adhereant to a ......."  The only thing she said after that was "Is this a recent change?" I simply replied "yes"

We got the same call from our current local school nurse.  That conversation was about the same.  She asked why we had turned n the KCI blank, and I told her it was not blank but signed in the appropriote spot.  She then stated that we would need a letter signed by us (which we had had paperclipped to the KCI.  I told her she should have it.  "Oh there it is!  Alright thanks!"

I have absolutely no regrets with our choice.  The biggest problem that we have is that every time one of the is exposed to chicken pox they are out of school for 21 days.....

Speaking of...we are looking for chicken pox so if you know of anyone with them....let me know!!  Once they have had a documented case, they will not be kicked out of school any more!

Hope that helps!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Carebearandrea - your situation sounds similar to mine. DS1 was vaxed for the first yr or so (til I realized how adamantly I did NOT want him to get vaxes!) and DS2 has had NO vaxes at all.

I enrolled DS1 at a church based preK this yr (a new preK from his first yr) and signed the religious exemption line at the bottom of the vax paperwork - indicating that we were adherents.... and were not vaxing. They had a fit and about kicked him out until I stated that he'd had some vaxes - his first yr. I produced that paperwork and they said "ok, well, he's had enough vaxes to allow him to stay here, but DS2 will not be able to come here next yr".

I asked again as it is time to "reserve" spots for next fall. DS1 will be going again to preK and DS2 will be starting as well. When I talked to the teacher, (who also runs the preK) she said she'd have to "talk the the board and let me know".  After talking the the board, she told me "we just can't accept the religious exemption. Students have to be vaxed. We just can't.  We had an "incident" a couple of yrs back and the board just will not change their mind"

I am pretty irritated, b/c other than this issue, DS1 is doing GREAT and loving this preK and I had really hoped to send both there next yr...

I did not think that a school - even if it was private - was able to deny a religious exemption in a state that allows a religious exemption ?!?!

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 PM

i'd first like to state that we do NOT vax our 5 children at all(my oldest 11 yrs, was vaccine injured with MMR vax and so we ended it right there).  and also would like to say that i was the assistant director of a private preschool/daycare for a number of years.  only once did we have a family begin to enroll their children who had religious reasons for opting out...and the director would not accept them into the school.  i was embarassed about it for the families sake--felt bad that they were getting denied...but as far as the director is concerned, if they feel it is a liability, they can refuse enrollment.  the vaccine exempt laws apply to public schools.  private schools and daycares can refuse enrollees if they choose, and it isn't breaking the law.  the reason for this is that legally your children have the right to a free public education.  not a private one.  a private school means essentially that you are paying for a service, and they can accept or deny you.  as much as it sucks, there you have it.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 PM

also, just wanted to add, that i looked at the above link for kansas law, and it says 'each child enrolling or enrolled for the first time in a preschool or day care program operated by a school'.  so, in other words, if the daycare or preschool is part of the public school system, then your exemption stands and you can enroll with no problem.  this does NOT apply to private daycare/preschool programs.

User Tag List