CA High school requiring persussis booster/what to do - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, that makes me really angry that your health department is spreading lies about the California personal beliefs exemption form needing to be signed by a doctor. I can see how that would discourage a lot of people from trying to use it.

I really don't understand your stress about this, but I admit I stress out about a lot of things that I'm sure other people wouldn't understand.

California state law REQUIRES all schools to accept the personal beliefs exemption form. We're a long way from July 1. Plus, that date doesn't even apply unless it's a year round school in session on that date. If you can't find the form in your area or online by the time you need it, I'm sure someone on this board will by happy to send you a copy, whether by fax, snail mail, or email.

Even if you don't sign the form by the first day of school, it's not like your kids will be kept out of school for the whole year--just the number of days it takes for you to sign the form. Plus, I don't care what the health department says, California law does NOT require a specific form to be used. You CAN write your own note, but I can understand the desire to just go with the form and not fight them about that. (Although if they still don't have the form on the first day of school, that would be a good reason to fight to use your own note). But I seriously doubt you won't have access to the form by then.
#32 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

S

#33 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

Shame, shame on your school district and on your county. It is on line.  Here it is.  

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/pm286b.pdf

Print it up and charge them the $ for your time, paper, electricity, and ink.  

This is what makes me suspicious of schools, the government, and the drug companies.  They lie and they get away with it.

Liars!  

That form, PM 286B, will not work for the new Tdap requirement. A parent either has to sign form CDPH 8261, or write their own personal beliefs affidavit specifying Tdap. (Most schools will not be aware that a parent's written note is an option, but that is the law). CDPH 8261 is not available online at this time.
#34 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I had a written letter ready for the school, but the health department has told them they can't accept anything except the form from the parents, so the school didn't accept it yesterday.  She honestly wanted to take my letter, but after making a phone call she was told nothing but the form was allowable.  It's the county health department who is the authority over the school.  The school has to go by what they say, even if they're misinformed.

I was told so many things I knew were untrue when I called the health department yesterday.  The first person I talked to told me to use the blue form (that was after she was argumentative with me saying go get the shot, thinking I was a teenager calling---so crazy--I asked for when will this form be available and she begins an argument about what age am I and etc.)  Then, when I convinced her, no, there's another form, she transferred me.  Then that person said a doctor must sign it and since she was adamant I finally gave it up. (I doubt she's ever seen the form--they don't have it, but she "knows" the doctor must sign)  Oh well.  She lied to me as well, because when I first asked her when the form will be ready she said they didn't have it and didn't know.  At the end of the phone call she said three weeks.  But she was lying as she initially told me she didn't know. 

I'm being told over and over that my kids won't be able to attend next year through all these various means of reminders by the school.  That's stressful for me.  I have no back up from anyone.  In fact, my husband would take them in a minute to get them the vax if he was reading the notices.  I've never done the exemption route before, since I didn't learn about vax damage until my boys were around 10 and had already had their childhood vax's. (which damaged their immune systems by the way which I see every day and caused learning problems in my youngest son)  I know that this exemption is available (whenever the form comes out), but until then I will get letters, e-mail, notices online at the school's web, saying my kids aren't able to attend, because they don't have this newest vax. 

And then, (from what I've read on the web) just three people have to get pertussis to call it an outbreak (probably within the county, not the school).  And my kids will be out of school. This results in my feeling stress too.  If that happened would my kids remain unvaxed?  Nope.  I know for sure my husband would insist on the vax.  He has no interest in vax damage stuff, still has complete faith in the system and all that. And so there's more stress upon me (internally).  I don't want my kids harmed, either by the poison in the vax, or on the other hand by being refused or turned out of school. 

#35 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Q
#36 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I want an exemption from this new Tdap vax.  To do that requires the new form.  They made a new form specifically for the new requirement.  The old one won't do for this.

#37 of 60 Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM

I totally understand the worry about exclusion from school during an outbreak, especially since your husband would insist on your kids getting the vaccine at that point. But I can assure you that exclusion is based on cases in the school, not the county. (Unless the health department could prove your child was exposed to pertussis outside of school). And unless you read it was 3 cases on your health department's website, I don't think that's necessarily true. For example, if just one student in the school is diagnosed with pertussis, but it's someone your child sits next to in class everyday, your child might be excluded. But if 5 people in the school are diagnosed, but for example they're in a different grade and are always in a separate building of the school, your child might not be excluded, because there is no chance of exposure.

I suggest you start slowly educating your husband about vaccine dangers, in a manner you think he would be most receptive to. It's stressful enough to think of the possibility of kids being excluded from school during an outbreak, but I would be freaking out too if I knew that meant my kids would be getting the vaccine.

#38 of 60 Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for this information about outbreaks.  This is very helpful knowledge.  I thought it was probably the county and that outbreaks would be dictated from the county health department--which would be worrisome, especially after what I'd just experienced in talking with them by phone.   This is a whole lot better.

My husband--he's not open.  He even goes and gets the flu shot for himself.  I've told him "no more vaccines" regarding the boys and he's said OK to pacify me, but if he knew it was a school requirement I'm sure it would be a different story.  They haven't been to the pediatrician for visits for years-since I stopped vaxing-as I know new ones are always being pushed there and my husband is the one who takes them.  I was reading on learning disabilities boards for years because of my sons' problems. Eventually I found books recommended regarding vaccine damage.  If my son hadn't had all his problems I would probably still be in the dark and think they're just fine.  Vax damage in my children (especially my youngest) is what took me on a path to becoming knowledgeable.

My husband treats me condescendingly.  He doesn't value what I say.  He will go along with things sometimes to pacify me, but he doesn't value knowledge I might have.  He kind of shuts his ears to me in anything like that. 

#39 of 60 Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys2 View Post

Thank you for this information about outbreaks.  This is very helpful knowledge.  I thought it was probably the county and that outbreaks would be dictated from the county health department--which would be worrisome, especially after what I'd just experienced in talking with them by phone.   This is a whole lot better.

My husband--he's not open.  He even goes and gets the flu shot for himself.  I've told him "no more vaccines" regarding the boys and he's said OK to pacify me, but if he knew it was a school requirement I'm sure it would be a different story.  They haven't been to the pediatrician for visits for years-since I stopped vaxing-as I know new ones are always being pushed there and my husband is the one who takes them.  I was reading on learning disabilities boards for years because of my sons' problems. Eventually I found books recommended regarding vaccine damage.  If my son hadn't had all his problems I would probably still be in the dark and think they're just fine.  Vax damage in my children (especially my youngest) is what took me on a path to becoming knowledgeable.

My husband treats me condescendingly.  He doesn't value what I say.  He will go along with things sometimes to pacify me, but he doesn't value knowledge I might have.  He kind of shuts his ears to me in anything like that. 

That truly sucks and I would ask you why you tolerate that - but I suppose that is a marital issue not a vaccine issue hug2.gif

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#40 of 60 Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM

MomofBoys2,

The blue waiver philosophical exemption form regarding this new Tdap booster mandate has been mailed to all California school districts by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).  Simply ask for the form from your school district office.  All you need to do is sign and date it, and ensure it is placed in your students' school files before or by the first day of school for the following school year.

You may also write your own letter to the district, stating you are electing to opt out of this mandate.  Simply state you are philosophically opposed to vaccinations, including to the recent Tdap mandate, date and sign it, and return it to your students' school, again, ensuring it is placed in your students' files before or by the first day of school for the following school year. 

Hope this helps.

-Kim Kovalchik-Ii

California State Director - National Vaccine Information Center

Cal Health & Saf Code § 120365 (2006)

§ 120365. Letter or affidavit stating beliefs opposed to immunization; Temporary exclusion from school

Immunization of a person shall not be required for admission to a school or other institution listed in Section 120335 if the parent or guardian or adult who has assumed responsibility for his or her care and custody in the case of a minor, or the person seeking admission if an emancipated minor, files with the governing authority a letter or affidavit stating that the immunization is contrary to his or her beliefs. However, whenever there is good cause to believe that the person has been exposed to one of the communicable diseases listed in subdivision (a) of Section 120325, that person may be temporarily excluded from the school or institution until the local health officer is satisfied that the person is no longer at risk of developing the disease.

#41 of 60 Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Do you know for sure that the Tdap Personal Beliefs Exemption form is blue? I haven't seen the original form, and I haven't read anywhere else that it is blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareamom 
The blue waiver philosophical exemption form regarding this new Tdap booster mandate has been mailed to all California school districts by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). 

#42 of 60 Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Yes, I do know for sure because my family's already signed it.  It was mailed to us by our son's school (Dougherty Valley High School/San Ramon, CA).  You cannot download this form off the Internet.  Parents need only ask their school district personnel for the form.

#43 of 60 Old 05-28-2011, 12:02 PM

If you check out my posts on Facebook, under my original name, you'll see where I have pointed out that this new waiver form is a blue waiver form, which states clearly at the top of the page "Philosophical Exemption Form" in big bold letters.

member234098 likes this.
#44 of 60 Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM

The reason you've not seen this form mentioned by the CDPH (specifically that it's a blue form with the lettering "philosophical exemption form" at the top) is because they simply do not want to bring any more attention to the issues with waivers than they feel they are obligated to (and they are not obligated by statute to do so).  They DO have to mention that waivers are still applicable to the Tdap mandate, but as far as advertising the fact that the waiver is a blue form, etc., they're not about to do that.  That's why I've been so diligent in ensuring the info. about the waiver form is given, in any venue I can. 

member234098 likes this.
#45 of 60 Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks for spreading the information, Bayareamom. I know that 95% of the schools and media stories are not informing people about the exemption, so it's up to concerned citizens.

Just to avoid confusion, doesn't the form say "Personal Beliefs Exemption" on top? This is where I saw the form. http://www.sdiz.org/documents/Sch-CC/AB_354_Webinar_12-8-10.pdf  It's a little past halfway down the webpage.

member234098 likes this.
#46 of 60 Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Did you have to inform them of the law to get them to mail it to you? I'm wondering because the instructions to school staff specifically say not to send the form home, and that it has to be signed in the presence of a school staff member, but of course that's nowhere stated in the actual law. http://eziz.org/PDF/IMM-1038_PBEforminstructions.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareamom View Post

Yes, I do know for sure because my family's already signed it.  It was mailed to us by our son's school (Dougherty Valley High School/San Ramon, CA).  You cannot download this form off the Internet.  Parents need only ask their school district personnel for the form.

#47 of 60 Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 AM

The blue waiver forms are technically not supposed to be mailed/sent off campus, but our school district disagrees and sends them via mail to those who ask.  I am not stating that's what all schools should do, but ours does. 

A caveat:  And this is coming from the Director of the CDPH Immunization Branch herself - Sandra Jo Hammer, R.N.  There is no authority written into the regs re: the statute which requires a parent to have to sign off on his/her exemption form in front of any school official, and that includes nursing staff as well

This creates an unnecessarily adversarial process, which was never intended by the CDPH. 

Here is what just happened recently: 

A District RN tried to tell a parent that she needed to seek advisement from her physician, prior to receiving her waiver.  When I informed Sandra of this, she promptly called this nurse.  When she inquired as to what reason this nurse was using in informing this parent this information, the nurse admitted it was her own 'bias.'  Sandra Jo promptly informed her she was NOT to misinform parents and told her it was this parent's right to use her exemption and that this process was not meant to be intimidating or adversarial in nature. 

Not only did Sandra Jo call this nurse, she then called the local public  health department and another agency after that, informing them of the proper procedures should a parent ask for the waiver form.  She really went the long distance to ensure parents' rights to the use of these exemptions, are upheld.

Remember, there is nothing within the regulatory provisions contained within the statute which requires school district officials to inform parents of these waiversHowever, if a parent knows to ask for their right to an exemption and asks for their waiver (or in turn knows they can simply write a letter, stating they are philosophically opposed to vaccinations, including the new Tdap mandate), then that school official MUST provide the waiver information.

The use of our state's right to exemptions was never, ever meant to be an adversarial situation.  It never has been for us.  It absolutely breaks my heart when I have a parent contact me and tell me they've been given the run around when trying to use their exemptions. 

The CDPH has put me on notice that, should any parent call me up with a valid complaint about a school official trying to make it difficult for them to use their exemption, I am to contact the CDPH and they will promptly contact the offending school district official.

#48 of 60 Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Yes, the new blue waiver form re: the Tdap mandate, does say at the top, "Personal Beliefs Exemption."  It also states underneath that, "Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Booster Immunization (Tdap) Requirement."  It's a blue form (paper, not card).  Eventually, a new waiver form/card will be drawn up, including the language regarding the new Tdap mandate for this new age group.  Again, this new state form was mailed out because the language for this new Tdap, because it is a new mandate, was not included on the older form. 

However, should parents not want to use the state form when using their waiver, they don't have to!  They can opt to write their own letter, stating they are philosophically opposed to vaccinations (as well as to the new Tdap mandate), and send it in.  It does not need to be notarized and does not need to be signed in front of any school district official, including any on the nursing staff. 

I was going by memory when I wrote the above post re: the language on the new form, but later on found the copy of our son's form and should have corrected the information about that later on.

Apologies about that.

--Kim

#49 of 60 Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM

I just asked at our school district's office for the form and I was told that there is no form and no exception, everybody has to get vaccinated. Unbelievable!

Why can't the form be available on-line to download like so many other forms? 

#50 of 60 Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Your school district is either lying or very misinformed. Here are the instructions that they received months ago. http://eziz.org/PDF/IMM-1038_PBEforminstructions.pdf

You can also contact Bayareamom (she posted above) for help, either by PM or email kim_m_ii@yahoo.com She provided that email in a previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birte Reimer View Post

I just asked at our school district's office for the form and I was told that there is no form and no exception, everybody has to get vaccinated. Unbelievable!

Why can't the form be available on-line to download like so many other forms? 

#51 of 60 Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Birte Reimer,

I will need the name of your school district and any phone numbers/contact information you can give me, immediately.  Please feel free to either pm me privately here at the forum, or contact me via the email address Ma2Two has provided.

Thanks,

Kim

#52 of 60 Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM

#53 of 60 Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM

The 7-12th grade Tdap vaccine requirement is a new CA law that goes into effect July 1, 2011. Fortunately, California law regarding personal beliefs exemptions also applies to this new vaccine requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

If you look closely at the blue form, it does not even appear that that P or aP portion is required.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf

member234098 likes this.
#54 of 60 Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Miriam,

With reference to the following itemization on the blue waiver form:  DTP/DTaP/DT/Td    [acellular] pertussis OR
tetanus and diphtheria only):

I'm not sure why this is listed in this manner - I'd have to ask Sandra Jo Hammer with the CDPH about this, but this info. is from the original blue waiver form and has nothing to do with the new pertussis booster mandate.  The P in Tdap IS a new requirement for all 7th thru 12th graders.  So CA parents need to be aware of this and understand their right to exemption if they elect to opt out of this particular mandate.

member234098 likes this.
#55 of 60 Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayareamom View Post

Miriam,

With reference to the following itemization on the blue waiver form:  DTP/DTaP/DT/Td    [acellular] pertussis OR
tetanus and diphtheria only):

I'm not sure why this is listed in this manner - I'd have to ask Sandra Jo Hammer with the CDPH about this

Here, http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/IMM-231.pdf it says that age 6 and under, pertussis is required, but age 7 and older, pertussis is not required. That is because there is no pertussis vaccine licensed for children ages 7, 8, or 9 years old. This form is from 2008.

Most kids entering 7th grade will be 11 or 12 years old, and the Boostrix Tdap vaccine is licensed starting at age 10. Adacel starts at age 11.

member234098 likes this.
#56 of 60 Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Try speaking in his right ear as it is the ear that is received by the left brain and is processed better. Further, try approaching him in a question like manner making him feel as if you are not talking at him or down to him. He has to believe that he is the one that either came up with the idea/information and that you seek/value his brilliance/opinion so to speak. Sorry, but that's just the way we (many) men are programed. Especially, those with an old fashioned up bringing. And, still believing in those teachings (women are of the lesser sex and are not necessarily to be heard).

I apologize again for imposing on you ladies. As a concerned dad, I have been performing some research of my own on the TDAP "requirement". I stumbled onto this forum and confirmed a lot. Thank you!

The awesome thing is... all of you are correct in the numerous ways in which your child may be exempt.

GOD BLESS YOU!

Andre

#57 of 60 Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys2 View Post

Try speaking in his right ear as it is the ear that is received by the left brain and is processed better. Further, try approaching him in a question like manner making him feel as if you are not talking at him or down to him. He has to believe that he is the one that either came up with the idea/information and that you seek/value his brilliance/opinion so to speak. Sorry, but that's just the way we (many) men are programed. Especially, those with an old fashioned up bringing. And, still believing in those teachings (women are of the lesser sex and are not necessarily to be heard).

I apologize again for imposing on you ladies. As a concerned dad, I have been performing some research of my own on the TDAP "requirement". I stumbled onto this forum and confirmed a lot. Thank you!

The awesome thing is... all of you are correct in the numerous ways in which your child may be exempt.

GOD BLESS YOU!

Andre

#58 of 60 Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Andre, you are not imposing at all!

Thank you for the advice too!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#59 of 60 Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM

#60 of 60 Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM

They should have an exemption form available at the district office. Ask for form CDPH 8261.

I have registered my kids in 3 different California cities and in the first two I got the exemption forms at the district office and the district nurse had to sign off (Riverside County) and at this last school they took an exemption form I printed off the internet (Orange County) without even batting an eye.

Desiree

Tags
Vaccinations , Pertussis , School , Exemption , Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page