CA High school requiring persussis booster/what to do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boys' high school said they're requiring proof of a pertussis booster given at or after the 10th birthday-for incoming students 2011-12-so in this next school year. (according to a new bill in CA requiring this). 

I've stopped vaccinating my boys, but they have had all the required ones up until now, so I've not had to deal with what to do if I didn't have them.

I'm not planning on having my boys get this booster.  What do I do if the school seriously checks everyone's immune records this coming fall?  My boys don't have this one.  I don't know the ropes regarding this and would sure appreciate advice.

Thank you.

Beth

#2 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Um - OK i really dont want to admit that i did this...but it got the job done quickly and effortlessly.....

i have a 7th grader and NY req'd proof of a 4th DTaP last year.  I called my pediatrician and asked them to please fax a copy of my childs innoculations to the middle school  (we delayed vaxxing, but by age 5 my son was 'fully vacinated' according to the state of NY)

so instead of giving my doctor the fax number for the Middle School - i gave them my fax number at my office....(just told them it was the middle school fax)   when the form came over, i made up a date and wrote in a 4th DTaP for my son...then faxed that 'fudged' form over to the middle school.   They are receiving about 400 or so they arent scrutinizing these documents. 

Im not proud of this... just decided to do the sneaky underhanded thing that got the job done with the least amount of confrontation - hope it helps!

member234098 and awallrising like this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Why not just get a religious exemption? Doesn't your state offer one? I have them for our kids.......while one kids was vaxed fully to 6 months, he hasn't had any more......for his K forms, I just put a line thru the vac lists, wrote "waiver" and on the page where it lists that exemptions are allowed, included a notarized copy of my exemption.......the wording is very very vague............it doesn't say I have to share that he ever had a shot.......or what my "religious" beliefs are.....etc.........BUT, some states don't honor this.........but there are medical exemptions............hope it helps.

broc1.gif
#4 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

How would I go about getting a religious exemption?  I don't know if CA offers it or not, but I don't know how you go about getting that either.

My boys' high school has 2,000 kids.  I sure wish that they wouldn't be checking whether or not everyone sends in proof of getting this, but they'll probably have something set up since it's a new law for CA-to have this booster shot.  I'm really worried about this and don't know what to do about it.

If there was a choice to check something regarding that on the original forms from the school, I didn't even look at it, since they have all their childhood immunizations and I sent it in.  (I didn't know about vaccines being harmful back then, but now I do--unfortunately I see the effects of them in allergies, etc..., harm to their immune systems....)

So I'm very upset about this and don't know what I should do.  I even looked at the immunization record we have in our file for them in case I could write in a forth like was suggested, but there's not even space on the form I have for one more.  Back then that was all that was required and the form doesn't have another space anyway (and I don't have the dr's stamp anyway)

My husband would take them to the dr's right away and get them the booster if he knew the school was requiring this.  He agreed to no more vax's when I said that a few years ago, but he doesn't see the harm...  He doesn't read the school info, so he doesn't know...

I don't have a dr who will give me a medical exemption for the boys, so I think it would be a religious exemption I'd need.  Probably CA allows this, but I'm not sure.  How would I get this?

Thanks.

#5 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just found a form (which I printed) on this forum with a box which you can check saying you are requested exemption because of religious beliefs. 

My question is:  the vaccines listed on the front of the form do not include the pertussis booster--what they're now requesting.  It lists all the ones my boys already have had which they have on file at the school.  So how would this form work, when it has specific vaccinations listed, but not the newly required pertussis booster?

Here is what I found, but you can see pertussis booster isn't on it.  Do I send it in anyway when fall comes around and if they're checking?  http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/pm286b.pdf

Please advise me on this. 

Their recent parents letter said they'd be requiring proof of this booster for kids entering high school starting this coming fall.  (I don't know if they're going to be strict about this or not.  But then again, it's a new bill signed into law requiring this...)

#6 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

This is exactly what the school is saying: 

It says they want proof, so they must be asking for update to records.  There's nothing said regarding any exemptions available, but the form in the above post has a place to sign and date.  Do I make a copy of it and send this to them?  Will that satisfy them do you think? Do I have to make it look professional--double sided when I print the form, etc.?  .....worried & upset about this...

"For 2011-12 school year only, all students entering 7th through 12th grades will need proof of a Tdap booster shot before starting school.  This requirement:
     -  Begins July 1, 2011.
     -  Can be met by receiving one dose of Tdap vaccine on or after the 10th birthday.
     -  Applies to all public and private schools. ""

#7 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 PM

They will probably have a new exemption form with it listed for the fall. In CA it's really very, very easy. You also don't have to say that it's a religious exemption - there should be a box for philosophical excemption that you can use (unless it really is a religious issue for you).
#8 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  How do I go about finding this form when fall comes.  They're probably not going to go out of their way to offer it.  Do I ask for the "vaccine exemption" form or something like that?  I'm not good at winging it and pulling off things like this as if I know what's what.  I'm the type people will take advantage of, as I'm not clever verbally, etc. and my stress shows, even in asking for something that may seem simple like a form.

It's not a religious issue for me, it's a health issue.  Any way out of getting this will do--philosophical will work. 

#9 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

Um - OK i really dont want to admit that i did this...but it got the job done quickly and effortlessly.....

i have a 7th grader and NY req'd proof of a 4th DTaP last year.  I called my pediatrician and asked them to please fax a copy of my childs innoculations to the middle school  (we delayed vaxxing, but by age 5 my son was 'fully vacinated' according to the state of NY)

so instead of giving my doctor the fax number for the Middle School - i gave them my fax number at my office....(just told them it was the middle school fax)   when the form came over, i made up a date and wrote in a 4th DTaP for my son...then faxed that 'fudged' form over to the middle school.   They are receiving about 400 or so they arent scrutinizing these documents. 

Im not proud of this... just decided to do the sneaky underhanded thing that got the job done with the least amount of confrontation - hope it helps!

Yah, detailing one's falsification of government-submitted documents on message boards tends to be a bad idea.

potatocraft likes this.
#10 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM

It will be on the back side of the form they give you to fill out to attach your proof of vaccination to. If for some reason it isn't, just tell them you need the exemption form.
#11 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM

We just moved to CA this last fall and in the packet of forms was the medical form.  On the back of the form was where we signed that we don't vax.  It was as simple as signing it and turning it in.  That's it.  In Texas (where we moved from), you had to get the form from the state and then have it notarized before it was valid.  CA seems much easier. 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Our form was called CRE: certificate of religious exemption......and I had to search the internet for it............the school and health dep (Va) would not give me one..............

It's a simple paragrph that says You, the parent, refuse vaccines for your child based on religious beliefs............or something like that

It does not say anything about prior vaccines, etc, so no need to share that.............the school will not really know the rules about this stuff..............so do your research.........they will tell you it is the law, but magiclly forget the exemption...............religious exemption is easier to do than other exemptions....(philosophical might not be recognized)

And they can not ask you "about your religious" beliefs

Be prepared for crap like: well we have to report you to the health department and stuff like that.......no worries...........

I just don't know what happens for college.......bc our kids are over 18 and exemptions may not work the same.....

Look on yahoo for form if you don't already have it.............

It must be notarized............

make several copies

broc1.gif
#13 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM

And it doesn't really matter if it isn't really a religious issue.............

take whatever you can get

look at this website as well

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/statevaccexemp.html 

broc1.gif
#14 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Mom View Post

Our form was called CRE: certificate of religious exemption......and I had to search the internet for it............the school and health dep (Va) would not give me one..............

It's a simple paragrph that says You, the parent, refuse vaccines for your child based on religious beliefs............or something like that

It does not say anything about prior vaccines, etc, so no need to share that.............the school will not really know the rules about this stuff..............so do your research.........they will tell you it is the law, but magiclly forget the exemption...............religious exemption is easier to do than other exemptions....(philosophical might not be recognized)

And they can not ask you "about your religious" beliefs

Be prepared for crap like: well we have to report you to the health department and stuff like that.......no worries...........

I just don't know what happens for college.......bc our kids are over 18 and exemptions may not work the same.....

Look on yahoo for form if you don't already have it.............

It must be notarized............

make several copies

This might be great advice for your state, but it's really not necessary in California. It really is as easy as checking the appropriate box on the back of the vaccination form - no notarization or statement of beliefs or anything required. In fact, my kids' school secretary flagged me down the other day with a couple of exemption forms for medical and dental check ups for my kindergartner, because she knew I'd want them. I'm sure not all schools are that exemption friendly (this is a home school charter, so I'm sure we're not the only non-vax family, but it wasn't an issue when my oldest was at a brick and mortar school for a couple of years. It was a pretty crunchy school, but no one batted an eye.)
#15 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Please read my post here. http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1286070/bad-mommy-form-is-coming-to-california-schools#post_16126937 I think it will answer all your questions.

I think it's quite nasty of schools to not include exemption information with vaccine requirements.

#16 of 60 Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the link giving information about the exemption and form.  So I just ask for the Personal Beliefs Exemption Form (CDPH 8261) for the persussis booster?  I'll probably need to go in and ask them for this, right. (I couldn't find the form on the internet, by searching) I'm guessing it won't be available unless I ask for the form.  I wonder if they have it in their offices yet, or not.  In July, when this goes into effect, everyone's on summer break, so I'll have to get it last minute right before they start classes in the fall unless they have it already.

Thanks so much.  Being knowledgeable about this makes a total difference.

#17 of 60 Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a link to this form.  I can't find it anywhere using internet searching.  I'd like to copy the form and fill it out now and then I wouldn't have to ask them for it at the school, but I can't find it online.  If anyone knows how to find this form, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I guess I'll take assurance in the fact that schools are required to give you the form. if you ask for it, at least.

#18 of 60 Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM

I went looking for it too and it is noplace on the California Department of Public Health website. But I think it should do fine to write up your own form since the law nowhere states an official form is necessary. You can even copy the wording on the pdf link that Ma2two posted. Or just amend the language in the exemption section on the back of the school's copy of your children's vaccination form. Either way you are protected by law.
#19 of 60 Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM

You just need the Blue Card immunization form; the exemption is on the reverse. You can get it from the Health Department or the school and you do not have to detail why you want it.

Quote:
This
record card is sometimes referred to by its
initials (CSIR), number (PM-286), or color
(blue).

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#20 of 60 Old 01-30-2011, 05:06 PM

There is a separate exemption form for the new Tdap requirement. Or, a parent can write their own statement that they are declining the Tdap. I did some searching, and found more information about the Tdap exemption form here. http://eziz.org/PDF/IMM-1038_PBEforminstructions.pdf I don't know if they plan to put the actual form on the internet, but I don't think they have yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

You just need the Blue Card immunization form; the exemption is on the reverse. You can get it from the Health Department or the school and you do not have to detail why you want it.

#21 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link!   The information there says that the parent has to complete the exemption form at the school office, "where school staff can verify the signature of the parent or guardian".  They're sure not making this easy... 

I'm thinking my school may not even have this form yet, so I'll wait and go in at the end of the school year and ask for it, but this is a pain.  Too bad it can't be mailed in.

#22 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys2 View Post

Thanks for the link!   The information there says that the parent has to complete the exemption form at the school office, "where school staff can verify the signature of the parent or guardian".  They're sure not making this easy... 

I'm thinking my school may not even have this form yet, so I'll wait and go in at the end of the school year and ask for it, but this is a pain.  Too bad it can't be mailed in.

It is the standard immunization/exemption form. They should always have them on hand as new students could show up at any time.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#23 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

It is the standard immunization/exemption form. They should always have them on hand as new students could show up at any time.

But the 7-12 grade Tdap requirement is new, and does not apply until July 1, 2011. So my guess is that most schools do not have the new exemption form yet. It was actually just printed this month. The exemption form, CDPH 8261 is ONLY for the Tdap vaccine. The signature on the back of the blue card will not count.

Or, parents can write their own exemption statement. The law does not require that a pre-printed form be used.

#24 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Quote:

But the 7-12 grade Tdap requirement is new, and does not apply until July 1, 2011. So my guess is that most schools do not have the new exemption form yet. It was actually just printed this month. The exemption form, CDPH 8261 is ONLY for the Tdap vaccine. The signature on the back of the blue card will not count.

eyesroll.gif I guess they want you to reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly think about it; I'd be making some alterations to that form http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1286070/bad-mommy-form-is-coming-to-california-schools

#25 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM

In the notices I've received from the school nurse, it says that if a waiver is "already on file" then the student is exempt from the new requirement. I wonder if that means I should sign the waiver BEFORE the July 1st deadline or if it's O.K. to just sign it when they start school in August? I thought of calling the school nurse about it but then thought better of it because I had a bad experience with another school nurse who harrassed me through the mail and on the phone after I signed a waiver a few years ago for my kindergartener.

Knowledge is power.

But only as powerful as the mind which grasps it, reading.gif the heart which believes in it, heartbeat.gif and the hands which wield it.goodvibes.gif

#26 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM

The deadline to get the shot or sign an exemption is not July 1, unless you are in summer school or year round school. The deadline is the first day of the new school year, any time after July 1. 

That's interesting the school nurse said if the Blue Card exemption is already signed, you're covered. I thought they were going to insist on the separate Tdap exemption form being signed.

#27 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I guess that's the day the law goes into effect, right? I believe the schools in this area are year round. I need to sign a waiver for my middle schooler entering 7th grade. I didn't know there was a new, separate form for the Dtap. 

Knowledge is power.

But only as powerful as the mind which grasps it, reading.gif the heart which believes in it, heartbeat.gif and the hands which wield it.goodvibes.gif

#28 of 60 Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM

/

#29 of 60 Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I went to the school office today and asked for the exemption form.  She was very nice, called around trying to find out if anyone had it.  They don't have it yet anywhere in my county.

I had written up my own form as a back up in case they didn't have the form.  She would gladly have taken it, except when she called the district office they said-nope-only the form will do (which no-one has yet).  She said it's"the Department of Health" (behind this) and that they said, "they're working on it". 

This is so stressful for me!  I've received one letter by mail, one e-mail, one phone call, and every time I pull up my boys' gradebook to look at it I see: they must have this vaccine or no school next year!  Which is why I wanted to take care of this and not wait any longer, but no-one has this form yet.

It's not really my school's fault.  I know they're just following orders and the letter, e-mail(s), etc, are because they want kids to be able to attend the high school next year so they're making sure people know/don't forget, etc... but it totally is so stressful for me to have this constantly in front of my and in my mind about their not attending school if, etc...

If they're going to make this a law, they ought to have the exemption form!  Which they don't.  Yet.  But then I think---well, the law doesn't go into effect until July 1'st.  Does that mean no form until July 1st? (when office staff are all on vacation, and no way to get the exemption form until school starts?)  At which point they'll tell my boys they can't attend because I haven't submitted vax's?

The school can't print/create this form themselves--they're waiting on the health department, and they're "working on it".  Again, this is so stressful...

The health department doesn't allow anything but the form.  The letter written by a parent won't do.  Just the form, the form, the form (which they don't have, etc., etc., etc.)  It makes me feel crazy and totally so stressed.

My kids like school a lot.  My oldest will be a senior next year--he needs to finish high school and graduate, so he can go on to college after that.  Plus he is involved in activites at school which he totally enjoys.  I can't take school away from them.

#30 of 60 Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Continuing adventures in search of: the form:

I called the District Office for my boys' high school:  they responded and told me when they get it they'll (gasp-and hurray) e-mail the form to me.  The person was very nice on the phone.  Both here and this morning at the high school the people were friendly and wanted to be helpful.

Before this I talked with the Health Department of my county.  They were:  unkind, harsh, pushing the vaccine... One person argued with me that the Personal Belief Exemption form requires the signature of the doctor.  They don't have it there yet they said.  I had in front of me the power point example from the previous link which only asks for the parent's signature.  But she was adamant--the doctor's signature--she's certain, yet she does not have the form there at the county health department (probably has never seen it).

So there were my different encounters today.  The school was so nice and wanted to help me.  No problem regarding my asking for the exemption form.  The Health Dept---argumentative, unkind, etc.

I feel much better now, after the District Office said she'd e-mail the form when she gets it.

Whew.

(as long as they don't ever have an "outbreak" we'll be OK)--only 3 people have to get it--that's what they call an outbreak.  So that makes me nervous.  Otherwise I feel much better.

Thanks everyone for listening in to my ranting about trying to get this exemption for my children.

Tags
Vaccinations , Pertussis , School , Exemption , Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page