Vax exemption for florida? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im thinking of putting my ds into a montessori school next year, for VPK (which is free pre-k in florida).   He has not had any vaccinations with the exception of one shot of Hep B, (they gave it at birth without my permission... thats another story).  

Is there a form I need to fill out for exemption or how exactly does that work? 

ETA:  I did try to look it up,  I guess I need a "Blue form" but where do I go get it?  And do I do this now or after my ds gets acepted to the school?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM

You need to go to your county health department. Sometimes they do the "vax information" lecture, sometimes they just sign the form; it varies by location. You don't need it before school, but some people like to have it on hand.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Go to the HD in Melbourne.  They didn't give me any hassle at all.  Get it now, turn it in with the rest of the registration paperwork, and remember, vaxes are required for school only, so don't give the form to your ped.  (BTW, do you have a good ped in S Brevard?  I'd love to know who, PM me if you want.)

Bring back the old MDC
Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Hi trying to get some information.  I haven't had much time to research the Florida exemption law.  We just moved down here two months ago.  My husband got my three kids the blue exemption form from the HD.  Those handed those in when we registered.  Now my 12 yr old came home with a flyer the other day stating immunization requirements.

"It is MANDATORY, according to State Law, that students entering into the 7th grade are current with the necessary vaccines including a Tdap

*STUDENTS WILL NOT RECEIVE A SCHEDULE FOR 7TH GRADE or be allowed to attend school UNTIL THE ARE IN COMPLIANCE OR HAVE A MEDICAL EXEMPTION OR EXTENSION AUTHORIZED BY THE DOCTOR. 

Then there are three choices for you.

X will participate in the upcoming OCHD immunization program

X will get his immunization through his/her own pediatrician, and I will provide a completed 'form 680' (the standard BLUE form given by the doctor) Students who do not have the appropriate documentation on file will not receive a schedule for 7th grade.

X is already in compliance with the stat law requirement, and I attached a copy of the most current form 680.

Do I just check the last statement and send in a copy of the exemption?  I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?  Why isn't there any talk about religious exemptions?  Has anything changed in the last two months?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlow View Post

Do I just check the last statement and send in a copy of the exemption?  I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?  Why isn't there any talk about religious exemptions?  Has anything changed in the last two months?

That is what I would do. There is no talk of religious exemptions because they don't want parents to know they exist, or to trip them up.

The best place to check the law is the legislature website.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0232/titl0232.htm&StatuteYear=2000&Title=-%3E2000-%3EChapter%20232

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

User Tag List