Are your unvaccinated children in preschool/school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our family does not vaccinate.  I noticed on this forum that a lot of parents who choose not to vaccinate also homeschool as well.  I'm not sure if they go hand-in-hand, as this was just my observation.  I was just wondering how many of you actually have small children in school who are not vaccinated.  I ask because I tend to be a worry wart, usually for no reason, but sometimes I feel like my son will be the only unvaccinated child in the class, and god forbid there is a breakout, they will blame him or something.  I know, I know.  It's far-fetched, but these are the silly things that go through my mind because it seems it's a division of vaccinators vs. non-vaccinators anymore.

I am a first-time mom, so this is all new to me.  We may be sending him to pre-K this September (he'll be 3 1/2), so these thoughts have been crossing my mind.  I just read an article in the Parenting magazine where the doctor was telling vaccinating parents to get angry at those who choose not to vaccinate when entering school.  I mean, are you serious????? I don't like that magazine because it's mainstream, and I can usually avoid those articles, but I had to read that one and it just made me angry and sick to my stomach.

I guess I'm looking for other stories in the same situation in regards to unvaccinating and entering pre-K/school.

applejuice and awaken mother like this.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. He will be starting proschool in September as a 3 year old. He is unvaccinated and will stay that way most likely (Im always open to new research/information)

applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

I was homeschooling, but due to illness, we placed our kids in first grade and preschool a couple of months ago. We printed out a short letter quoting state law and stating that we were claiming a religious exemption under those laws and regulations, signed it, and brought it in when we registered. Neither school batted an eye. It's been fine thus far.

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM

My kids are vax-free. Dd was in play groups, day care at the gym, and with kids from 3 months old. She started pre-school at 2 and still goes.

I might decide to home school. If I do it will have nothing to do with vaxes and be entirely about our school choices.

#5 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My children have long passed pre-school, both attended completely unvaxed and are now still unvaxed in middle school. I claim a religious exemption, but could just as easily claim a philosophical one in my state.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My kids are both 100% vax free and my dd will be starting preschool in the fall. The exemption is super easy in my state! When I had the enrollment forms, I just did a google search for "washington state vaccine exemption form" and it came right up. I printed it, checked the box for philosophical exemption, signed it. Done. I'm not worried about it. My nephew is in the class too and I don't know exactly what his vax status is, but I know my sil delays for a super long time and only does a few, but idk what ones. So she wont be the only unvaxed kid in class ;) Guess they'll just have to blame my dirty family if there's an outbreak of something :P (tongue in cheek!!)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Not so easy in NY as far as I know or knew when my older children were of that age. My kids are 5, 12 & 14 - the 14 year old is the most vaccinated, less for the 12 year old and the 5 year old is not at all. We had a homeopathic who was also an MD, but he has since moved and aged. Looking for alternatives. So, on paper they are vaccinated. Hated that my older ones got the chicken pox vaccine especially, but just wish I had known more. Looking also for a naturopath doc in New York if anyone is aware of how to find one.

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 63 Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Forgot to mention that I was also told that my child was more at risk being exposed to those children who were just recently vaccinated because they were walking around with the "live" virus in their system. So, does that mean my child is building up immunities because he is exposed to those children. Not sure. This is sometimes all overwhelming to me.

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 63 Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

My son has been so healthy to this point with no illnesses, and I worry when he starts school, he will be coming down with more illnesses.  Have you noticed an increase in illnesses with your kids since they started attending school?

applejuice likes this.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#10 of 63 Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 AM

my dd's are unvaccinated and in school (10 and 8) I find some years are better than others. I don't remember any difference when they first started but would have boosted their immune systems. I definately noticed that this year was worse for colds and even a cough.  I think it is related to my going back to work and getting more lax with their diet.  They are both very healthy and I don't worry so much anymore.

applejuice likes this.
#11 of 63 Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM

My daughter is in 2nd grade, i handed the school her partly vax form and a waiver they tried to say they couldn't accept both but finally did. I'm not gonna let them send my child home if there was a outbreak of CP when she has had the vax for it.

My almost 5 yr old i just registered for Kindergarten the other day and didn't bother giving them his vax recorded but he was vaxed til 4months old, i just handed them a waiver and they asked if he had any vaxs and i said yes but only til 4months old. No issue was made.

applejuice likes this.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#12 of 63 Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy F View Post

My son has been so healthy to this point with no illnesses, and I worry when he starts school, he will be coming down with more illnesses.  Have you noticed an increase in illnesses with your kids since they started attending school?

There have been a few more runny noses and such. Dd definitely brought home the flu after all the kids got the flumist, but no one else in the family caught it. That's the only VAD that came home, which I'm quite sure was actually caused by a vax eyesroll.gif

applejuice likes this.
#13 of 63 Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM

DD is 5 now and has been in preschool all year.  We turned in a letter along with a copy of her yearly physical and not an eye was batted.  Don't worry about being the only parent who doesn't vaccinate.  You'd be surprised at the number of parents who share your reasoning or who just plain old don't comply.  We did notice a lot of colds this year, but honestly, it seems like everyone here had a bad winter cold-wise.

applejuice likes this.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#14 of 63 Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM

The first time your child is in a care situation they will probably get ill...often...vaxed or not. When my vaxed-to-12m son went to K he was sick from September through January, then had bronchitis in March from a pink eye infection. This year he's probably had a couple minor colds but he also suffers from our winter allergy season so it is difficult to tell. I do give them SA, a mult-vitamin, and Dr. Sears Omega-3 DHA chew daily this year. Judging by the complete non-reaction when I turned in his exemption, I doubt ds is the only one. I'm hoping that since his sister gets everything he does that she won't get sick as often in K.

applejuice likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 63 Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM

My unvaxed DS started Playschool in January, just two afternoons a week, and he has been sick a lot. He also weaned in September, and was rarely sick previously. He has been sick with a lingering viral cough that took about 8 weeks to get rid of. Twice he's had a day of vomiting. He's had short bouts of diarrhea too. None of this stuff has vaccines for it. Our province doesn't have vaccine requirements for school so the school doesn't even keep vaccination records.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#16 of 63 Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM

My child has gone to preschool for almost 2 years now.

The first year, she rarely got sick. Just a some minor colds. This year has been similar, but we were recently hit with a bad cough that has lasted for weeks. All the kids in her class had it.

As far as exemptions go, we just wrote a letter saying we don't vaccinate for personal reasons, and they didn't bat an eye. We'll see how it goes in Kindergarden next year, but I expect it to be the same based on what others have told me.

applejuice likes this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#17 of 63 Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 AM

My DS is only vaxed for DTaP. His first year in Preschool (4 & 5yo) it seemed like he caught every sniffle going around and passed it to me. Previously he had been fairly cold-free. Kindergarten was somewhat better but on the day they were giving out the nasal (live) flu vaccine I kept him home. This year I got a call from the school nurse saying there was chickenpox in his class and did I want to come get him... I was like, well... no. Turns out the chickenpox victim is one of my son's friends and she had been vaccinated for chickenpox. When I went to the health department to get his waiver signed the nurse warned me if there was ever an outbreak of a VPD that I would have to keep my son at home - I don't know why they didn't enforce the rule this time.

applejuice likes this.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#18 of 63 Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post

My DS is only vaxed for DTaP. His first year in Preschool (4 & 5yo) it seemed like he caught every sniffle going around and passed it to me. Previously he had been fairly cold-free. Kindergarten was somewhat better but on the day they were giving out the nasal (live) flu vaccine I kept him home. This year I got a call from the school nurse saying there was chickenpox in his class and did I want to come get him... I was like, well... no. Turns out the chickenpox victim is one of my son's friends and she had been vaccinated for chickenpox. When I went to the health department to get his waiver signed the nurse warned me if there was ever an outbreak of a VPD that I would have to keep my son at home - I don't know why they didn't enforce the rule this time.

I want to make sure I'm aware when the school gives out vaccines. I would certainly be keeping him home from school on those days as well. Do they send out letters to all parents beforehand, and are there any types of cases where they do not need to notify parents? I'm assuming they need the parents' signature first. I have a fear that they will not notify me and give my child a vaccine withouy my knowledge, and how would I know if they did?  I remember reading a case where this has happened, where the school vaccinated a child who was exempt.

By the way, just curious, after the school administered the nasal flu vaccine, do you recall if your child got the flu from being around all of those live viruses?

#19 of 63 Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD1 is in school and DD2 is in PK, not vaxed. I doubt we are the only ones but I don't ask the other parents so I don't know. I do know that on the first day of school, I went out to breakfast with a group of moms from DD1's class, one mom was asking about the flu vax since her DS had gotten influenza last year and she wanted to make sure that everyone would be vaxing for it. Not a single other parent at the table vaxed their child for the flu! That one did surprise me. 

And yes, the first of school for my children has meant illness after illness. We've gotten influenza several times but never around the months where most people get the vax. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#20 of 63 Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM

My youngest DD's aren't vaccinated (they are 4) and they start pre-k in the fall.  I just filed for an exemption for reasons on conscience online and I received the forms within a couple of days.  My oldest DD was delayed because I didn't want to cause waves but she now has an exemption and won't be getting any more vax's.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#21 of 63 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

I want to make sure I'm aware when the school gives out vaccines. I would certainly be keeping him home from school on those days as well. Do they send out letters to all parents beforehand, and are there any types of cases where they do not need to notify parents? I'm assuming they need the parents' signature first. I have a fear that they will not notify me and give my child a vaccine withouy my knowledge, and how would I know if they did?  I remember reading a case where this has happened, where the school vaccinated a child who was exempt.

By the way, just curious, after the school administered the nasal flu vaccine, do you recall if your child got the flu from being around all of those live viruses?

They did send out a letter that had a permission form attached to it, and told the date it was going to be given. I can't think of any reason they would be allowed to give your child a vaccination without your permission but if you look at some permission forms you sign for field trips or camps there is wording that says you give permission for your child to have medical care - where I could see  your child might be given a  DTaP if she had to go to the ER. I could also see an "oops" happening, my child getting in the wrong line and getting it by mistake.

The vaccine was given on a Friday, I kept my kid home that day and he didn't get the flu this year. ( We've never had the flu that I know of)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#22 of 63 Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Both our boys are unvaccinated. Our 1st is in Kindergarten in public school.  He's been attending preschools since he was two and every year we provide the schools with the Dept. of Health's standard form with our philosophical exemption.  Our family MD wrote a medical exemption for him that the county Dept. of Health doctor denied!  What nerve.  Anyway, thank goodness for philosophical or we would deifinitely be forced to home school.  Our second son is 2 and is in preschool program and has exemption as well. 

As for being sick, they will catch viruses just like any vaccinated child does.  We supplement with vitamin D3, C and probiotics which seems to help them get over things quickly.  I won't go into the whole unvaccinated children causing the so-called preventable childhood illness theory because that issue is so long. However I will say it is so silly when they accuse the kids who are unvaccinated as "the cause" of a spread when most of the vaccinated children in schools are the ones getting the illness and are the ones who actually pass the illness on to those who are NOT vaccinated or whose full-course of vaccination was ineffective. Before we found our current non-vax-friendly doctor, our previous Pediatrician kicked us out of his practice because he did not want the liability.  He said that he could not protect us from getting the viruses being sloughed off from vaccinated kids. Whatever.  Wish Dr. Larry Palvesky (pediatrician) lived by us!!!  If we lived in NYC or Long Island, we'd go to him in a heartbeat!  I am not afraid of my kids getting the illnesses.  I was not vaccinated as a child and I, my siblings and all my friends had the measles, mumps, Rubella, Pertussis, etc growing up and all survived without incident.  I was vaccine injured as an adult and suffered a severe raction. Other family members have had reactions as well.    Boost your children's immune systems, eat healthy and don't live in fear that a vaccine that has side effects and is not even 100% effective will miraculously prevent anything.

I have a good philosophical exemption letter that I modified from one we found in the back of Dr. Sherri Tenpenny's book. If you want it, let me know.

#23 of 63 Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Parenting magazine??? seriously, thats one of the WORST magazines for new parents out there.. it's so biased and one sided information. I have 4  kids, all went to public school and all not vaxed. Never had any problems with outbreaks of anything. M youngest is going on 15, oldest is 24...never had an issues at all with any diseases popping up in school or daycare either.  Actually, they are far healthier than most of their peers 

#24 of 63 Old 04-03-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

Parenting magazine??? seriously, thats one of the WORST magazines for new parents out there.. it's so biased and one sided information. I have 4  kids, all went to public school and all not vaxed. Never had any problems with outbreaks of anything. M youngest is going on 15, oldest is 24...never had an issues at all with any diseases popping up in school or daycare either.  Actually, they are far healthier than most of their peers 

LOL! I know! For some reason, I continue to get that magazine and I don't even ever recall signing up for it or renewing it! I've been getting it for the past 2 years. Sometimes I'm curious to read what their biased articles have to say, just to see what they have to say now, and I always seem to get agitated. I have since completely banned that magazine after reading the article I mentioned above and have ordered a very good natural-living type magazine, that is so not mainstream.

Anyway, thanks for your input. It's great to read all of these posts!

#25 of 63 Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM

My 4-year old is completely unvaxed and has been attending a university-run preschool/daycare since she was 15 months old.

I worry about being an outcast too but not enough to cause me to vax!

applejuice likes this.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#26 of 63 Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM

My 3-year old ds is completely unvaxed and has been attending a daycare/montessori school since he was 15 months old.

The first 6 months he was definitely catching every bug, which I think is pretty common when starting daycare/school, but now he is healthy as a horse!

We make sure he has an organic, whole-food diet as much as possible, supplements, sunshine, and a stress-free, active lifestyle. Which I believe, really does wonders!

#27 of 63 Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Pressing LIKE button. ;-)  

LOL, Parenting magazine is filled with pharma advertising...we certainly can't expect unbiased articles from them or any mainstream media for that matter. That would equate to biting the hand that feeds them.  I like Natural News by the Health Ranger on the internet. 

There is nothing wrong with kids getting a little sick from school.  Obviously we hope to boost immune systems so it's over quickly and uneventfully.  It is inconvenient for parents and uncomfortable for kids but I believe it is good for building a strong immune system. 

Sometimes, parents I know seem to brag about it as if it is some badge of honor that their kid is "never sick".  They walk around with mini hand sterilizer bottles, are first in line for every new vaccine and are creating a generation of germaphobes out of them.  They are further fueled by media fear-mongering. 

All this trying to create a sterile environment and never getting sick is actually counterproductive to building a strong immune system.  Not to mention all the "super" germs we've created by over-sanitizing, over-prescribing antibiotics and so on. 

#28 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM

12yo and 8yo vaccine free kids  in private school .They were in public for a time.One was in preschool. No major issues and no VPDs yet.

One fall the local health dept. came to the private school AFTER school to give kids and their families the swine flu vaccine.

#29 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if our exemptions are the same, but if you don't vax here you just fill in a conscientious objection form and that is shown when ever the vax forms would be shown.  My daughter went to pre school and they just said the unvaxed are the first alerted should a disease come through town.  They seem to understand the concept that the vaccinated are meant to be the ones with protection.  No one talks about vaccination at the centers, so I wouldn't know who vaccinates and who doesn't.  Vax status is confidential medical information, if the director of the center discloses such info to other parents, I'd bring them to serious account and demand to know their motive for doing so - at least make them confront you with their prejudice.

And take heart that this issue is only an issue for a few years.  People don't give a rats how vaccinated an older child or teen or adult is, the issue simply disappears as they get older.  How often do people care about your vax status?  Exactly.  Doctors used to get into the discussion with me about my dd's lack of vax, but since the age of about 4, they didn't even ask anymore, let alone care to push me into any particular direction.  I guess they see it as a risk for only a short time.  

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#30 of 63 Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Hi Marnica,what state do you live in and do you have an exemption ? Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page