Which is better Religious Exempt (we are jewish) or Medical Exempt in Virginia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I am late to the party in a number of ways. About a little over 2 years ago I started doing extensive research on vaccines. By the end of the year and after both of my children were very sick and now my daughter has diagnosed sensory processing and auditory processing disorders I decided to stop all vaccinations.

We see a holistic pediatrician in a neighboring town and he said he stopped vaccination in his kids after the whole polio scare when all of those kids died in the 90's.

I am taking my daughter in to see him on Tuesday. While in preschool my daughter has had a medical exemption from him. It is a jewish preschool and they have been great about it. But now I look at the physical exam form for the state of Virginia and you have to check off which vaccine they have a medical exemption for. Reading all over the internet I have read that medical exemption is harder to obtain against all vaccines. I have also read that religious exemption is better in some people's minds.

I am so confused on what to do. My objective is to not have any vaccines for the rest of my 2 kids lives. They also have 1st cousins with autism, sensory processing among other problems and all of them are vaccinated.

We are jewish so I don't even know how I would make the argument for not vaccinating.

I am scared that I will mess this up with her registration.

Thanks for listening to a mommy freak out!

#2 of 6 Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 AM

Sorry you are going through this. I don't know about the laws in Virginia but I don't see why you can't carrry both a medical and a religious exemption.

To me, a medical exemption would carry more "weight", especially if the pro-vaccine forces someday go after your state's religious exemption laws. Many doctors are reluctant to give you a medical exemption however, and if your current provider moves or retires it might be hard to get another.

Some states ( New York?) are really obnoxious about trying to fight religious exemptions and make parents go before a board and "prove" their religious belief. Most people don't have that kind of hassle - just have to go to the health department and sign a wavier.

Good luck.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#3 of 6 Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 AM

#4 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM

What I would do is find out if your health care provider will give you the medical exemption you want, if not then I'd use the religious one. A religious exemption means you are stating you are religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination though, so you can not selectively vax without losing the exemption. You do not have to state your religion nor do you need to be a member of a state recognized religion that opposes vaccination. You can have personal religious beliefs that oppose vaxing.

#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

In my state at lease, a med exemption is nearly impossible to get and when you do get it, it is only good for specific vaxes that are potentially deadly to your child (yeah...I know...).

Go with the religious exemption.  Refuse to engage in sincerity-testing.  Best wishes!

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 6 Old 05-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivfmamma View Post

I am taking my daughter in to see him on Tuesday. While in preschool my daughter has had a medical exemption from him. It is a jewish preschool and they have been great about it. But now I look at the physical exam form for the state of Virginia and you have to check off which vaccine they have a medical exemption for. Reading all over the internet I have read that medical exemption is harder to obtain against all vaccines. I have also read that religious exemption is better in some people's minds.

We are jewish so I don't even know how I would make the argument for not vaccinating.

Ask your rabbi about whether "Pikuach nefesh" applies to your case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikuach_nefesh 

It is very possible for a child to get a medical exemption from a vaccine because of known allergies to one of the ingredients, but a blanket exemption for all vaccines without a grave underlying medical condition.

Tags
Vaccinations , Exemption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page