What do I do? DD starting private Montessori pre school. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD, 4, is unvaccinated, and I recently applied for her to attend a small private Montessori preschool here in NC. Included in the application is a physical form to be completed by her pediatrician and on the back is a vax history form. It says that they must have this within 15 days of attendance. I am undecided about how to proceed. If it were a public preschool I would print off the religious exemption form and attach it to the physical sheet. Since the school is private, though, I guess they could choose to not have her there. However, it is obvious that admission isn't based on the medical forms since they don't have to be turned in until after preschool starts. And FWIW, the founder is married to a chiropractor, so I feel that they would be understanding... but I didn't want to approach them about it and risk putting them in a difficult position. Does anyone have any advice? experience?

#2 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM

I am in a state that only accepts religious exemptions and medical exemptions.  (I believe NC is the same way, isn't it?)  Hubby and I have been comparing two private preschools for our child and I have been in contact with both of the schools and asked them both if they accept religious exemptions.  They both said they do and basically just require a written letter explaining that we are requesting a religious exemption from vaccinations.

Anyway, I would just ask if they accept the type of exemption you're requesting and what they require.  They can turn you down, but with private school, you are paying to get in, so I think they would be more inclined to accept you as long as your letter is properly worded so they can't misconstrue it. By asking them, you're not putting them in a difficult position because you really need to know whether they accept exemptions or not.  What would be the point of registering and going through all of that if they don't accept them, you know?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 AM

When I registered for preschool (private), they had vaccine forms and used words like "must" fill out and "must" be up to date, etc. They don't use any wording to suggest that there can be exemptions, but I just wrote a letter saying I don't vaccinate and it was totally fine.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#4 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would not ask permission. Wait until you have confirmation that you are accepted, in writing if possible, then turn in the exemption. Turn it in as late as possible, preferably, after they have cashed a tuition check. Are you sure they meant 15 days after attendance? I'm pretty sure the law would require the form to be in *before* attendance.

North Carolina exemption law does not say anything about allowing private schools to turn down exemptions. So once your child is accepted, you should be safe, because at that point, they can't turn him down and pretend it is for some other reason.

"If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Part, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization."

http://www.immunizenc.com/Exemptions.htm

#5 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

It was my first reaction to call and ask if they would accept an exemption, but after I thought about it, and read your posts, it seems like it would be in everyone's best interest for me to say nothing and appear confident when submitting the exemption.

So what do I include in a letter? Does anyone have an example that I could read over?

#6 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do private schools as well, I file a religious exemption. I don't write a letter or explain anything, just fill out the exemption and submit with the proof of physical. No one has ever questioned me. I tend to take the less detail they know, the better approach. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

There is no form for North Carolina, so you'll have to write a letter. But I would just keep it very simple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page