What is the backup plan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For nonvaxers:

I'm in a state where they are currently trying to pass bills that violate our constitutional rights, and read about other states, such as NY, where they are trying to pass a bill where healthcare providers can adminster STD vaccines to minors without parental consent.  I'm ready to leave this country if this starts to happen because I have had enough with this already. What are the chances of bills like these passing? I can't believe the lengths they are going for this, and for what? What is their basis for this?  Fear that not all people are complying and following the "herd." What? Are we sheep with no minds of our own?

Anyway, my question is, where is it better? Switzerland, Spain? I have no clue where it's better but would like to know just in casewinky.gif.  I'm waiting for this to all turn around, as it seems more and more people are waking up to it, but we're obviously not there yet.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 PM

So, we said that if Bush got re-elected that we were leaving the country..and we did.  It sucked and I'll never threaten that again.  I thought I was put-out in the U.S.  I didn't even have an exemption available while we were in France.  I had to fake the records...but that would have only helped for one year and then that wouldn't have helped any longer.  So, yeah, leaving the country sounds good in some ways, but it's not really realistic for most people.  We had fun, yeah, but I was really glad to come back home...Bush and all.  My backup plan is to talk with my healthcare providers about options.  I've got some good ones who feel the same way I do and I know they'll have good advice.  I guess it depends on what's going on at the time, what the law is, etc.  Next year, I'm going to have to decide if I'm willing to get an exemption signed by a state approved Healthcare provider.  I homeschool, but use the state funded partner programs...It may cost me 4000 to assert my rights.  We're working out the budget now in anticipation, but that's a lot of money for one signature that , for me would be easy to get.   I don't really have much of a back-up plan I guess.  I can say for sure that I"d never, ever live in New Jersey or New york.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

So, we said that if Bush got re-elected that we were leaving the country..and we did.  It sucked and I'll never threaten that again.  I thought I was put-out in the U.S.  I didn't even have an exemption available while we were in France.  I had to fake the records...but that would have only helped for one year and then that wouldn't have helped any longer.  So, yeah, leaving the country sounds good in some ways, but it's not really realistic for most people.  We had fun, yeah, but I was really glad to come back home...Bush and all.  My backup plan is to talk with my healthcare providers about options.  I've got some good ones who feel the same way I do and I know they'll have good advice.  I guess it depends on what's going on at the time, what the law is, etc.  Next year, I'm going to have to decide if I'm willing to get an exemption signed by a state approved Healthcare provider.  I homeschool, but use the state funded partner programs...It may cost me 4000 to assert my rights.  We're working out the budget now in anticipation, but that's a lot of money for one signature that , for me would be easy to get.   I don't really have much of a back-up plan I guess.  I can say for sure that I"d never, ever live in New Jersey or New york.

This is really interesting. Thank you for sharing. I didn't realize it was that bad elsewhere. There has to be somewhere better, right? I live in NJ, so you can totally understand where I am coming from. Maybe moving to a different state may help somehwat, but all states are going to turn out like this. They all take each other's lead. Hopefully, there are strong powers out there fighting for our rights as we speak, and will win! We can only hope for the best! I like to think in a positive way.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Most Canadians don't realize that we don't have vaccination requirements for school in most of the country.

HEALTH CANADA STATEMENT ON IMMUNIZATION

"Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Only three provinces have legislation or regulations under their health-protection acts to require proof of immunization for school entrance. Ontario and New Brunswick require proof for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization. In Manitoba, only measles vaccination is covered. It must be emphasized that, in these three provinces, exceptions are permitted for medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization. "

I'm in one of those provinces that has no school requirements. The schools have never asked for my son's vaccination records.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 AM

When we lived in Japan we never had a hard time with not vaccinating our children.  The schools sent a letter asking why we wouldn't at least vax for TB, and when I told them they let it go.  Our doctor in Japan was surprised our children weren't vaxed against Chicken pox (they both got this in Japan) but never said anything about it.

Now, we're in Belgium.  The only required vax here is Polio (and it's really required, parents went to jail for not vaxing with Polio).  We homeschool and haven't been to the doctor since moving here so I'm not too worried about it.  I'd still rather only have one required vax than  all the US requires.  I've heard in France, Polio is the only one required as well.

I think the hardest part about leaving the US would be getting a visa to live in another country.  Getting citizenship in Europe is very hard unless you're rich or marry someone here.  Citizenship in Japan is almost impossible.  How would you go about doing this??  I'd like to know, because someday I'd like to live in Ireland but I don't know how go go about doing it!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#6 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 AM

I'd move to another state. Or you can homeschool. I never once had a problem with not vaxing and my daughter is now 21 and was HS'd.

#7 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

I'd move to another state. Or you can homeschool. I never once had a problem with not vaxing and my daughter is now 21 and was HS'd.

I have been thinking we could homeschool if getting into school poses problems for us in this state in the near future. I would really like to homeschool anyway, but my husband really wants him to be in school. I'm kind of torn between the two. It's always good to have that option though.

As of right now, I see them putting more restrictions on us in the state I am in, but honestly, I can't see how they would be able to pass such bills that violate our constitutional rights.I guarantee they are going to have a very hard time doing so. I hope people don't let this happen, because if it does, it's scary.

I think me talking about moving out of the country is like a fantasy. Realistically, I don't think it will ever happen. I haven't even mentioned that to hubby. He's very easygoing but I'm not sure what he'd think about it because of leaving his family. (I would of course have to bring all of my family with me but I'm not sure they would want to go either.) I think moving out of state is more feasible. Now... the question is which state is best? smile.gif

Is it going to get better, and will there ever be a turnaround to this issue of vaccines? From what I hear, even more doctors are starting to question vaccines, so that's a good sign.

#8 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM

What I did was search HSLDA and the NVIC and cross referenced both vax exemption laws and HS laws by state. We didn't move here until my dd was an adult. But I did HS in 3 different states. I had a list of states that I absolutely would not move to. NY being one of them. Some states if you HS they do not ask for vax info ( that was every state I HS;d in) But some like VA, HSers must comply with the same vax laws as institutional schoolers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page