Preschool questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ped. is pushing the HIB shot for when my daughter enters preschool/daycare this summer.  She will be three this summer and I am just beginning to wean her from BF, what is her risk of HIB at this point?  Is it something to consider?  I have completely declined the PC13 against her wishes and she is still adamant about HIB infections until the age of 5, any info or hard stats. would be greatly appreciated

#2 of 4 Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I don't have any stats, so right now my source is "random heresay I've heard around these forums" ;) But I was under the impression that the risk of a serious, invasive hib infection for an otherwise healthy child over 2 is pretty much nil. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 4 Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1977 View Post

My ped. is pushing the HIB shot for when my daughter enters preschool/daycare this summer.  She will be three this summer and I am just beginning to wean her from BF, what is her risk of HIB at this point?  Is it something to consider?  I have completely declined the PC13 against her wishes and she is still adamant about HIB infections until the age of 5, any info or hard stats. would be greatly appreciated

I have The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. It was published in 2007, so I'm not sure what the exact stats are today, but it states that overall there are only about 25 cases per year in the US (not sure where you live) almost all occuring in children under 5, majority within the first two years. He then goes on to say that it's very rare beyond age 3. Hopefully others will weigh in with exact stats to date, if they are any different than what Dr. Sears indicates. Either way, though, I think it is very rare beyond 3.

His book might be a good one to look at the vaccine itself as well as the disease to make your determination.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1977 View Post

I would ask the ped. for the statistics.  If she can't provide any, or if they aren't compelling, then you have to wonder why she's pushing it so hard without reason.  You are the mother, not your ped.  She can't make you do anything.  She could drop you from her practice, but if she is an adversary instead of being an advocate, then you would be better off IMO.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page