Military daycare wont accept religious exemption, I need some help pls! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I need some major help. My husband is in the army and we just moved to Ft. Bliss from Japan. I am trying with no success to enroll my 3y.o. daughter into the on post daycare. I submitted a religious exemption, which they granted it for all shots except the Measles and Pertussis shot. So if I don't get these my daughter can't go to daycare. Of course I refused. All of last week I have been arguing forth and back with them, reading through all the regulations etc. with no succsess. The Chief of preventive medicine keeps telling me that the Western Region Command has the last say in this and they wont let her go without those two shots, no matter what the regulations say. I contacted the Base Commander ( he has a open facebook site) but haven't gotten anything, besides to give him time to figure it out. I have the feeling though  that i will get the same response from him. Has anyone encountered this and still was able to get their child in on post daycare? Besides calling IG which I am still kinda unsure about, I have no idea what else to do???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomarley View Post
 I have the feeling though  that i will get the same response from him. Has anyone encountered this and still was able to get their child in on post daycare? Besides calling IG which I am still kinda unsure about, I have no idea what else to do???

There are posters here who have gone to the Navy and Air Force IG (with sucess); the Navy dependent(s) were trying to go overseas but the Air Force was just trying to get into the CDC. After you've been to the base commander the only way to go is up and over.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I called Military 1 Source they want to do some research and told me to give the commander another week or two and then call IG.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM

I wish you luck. I had the same problems when we were in Italy. Neither of my children could be in the childcare because of it, I tried and had no success, but didn't go very high up. I didn't really know who to go to. Anyway, it needs to be done. The military thinks they can trump every rule and regulation, but nope you do NOT lose your rights when you (or your spouse) join the military!! Let us know how it goes. Good luck mama!

~Allyson~
Mama to and
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM

We're Marine Corp and stationed in Okinawa and had zero trouble getting our son registered at the CDC with a religious exemption. I'm sure that was due to someone before me fighting that battle. I wish I had more help to give you but don't give up!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 AM

I have just began the process of trying to get my religious exemption... you are definately further than I am. I'm just trying to get my kids in CYS for sports. We are at Ft Riley in KS which is also in the Western Region. They told me that "they are reviewing the religious exemption policy and they aren't approving them so easily and it will takes months to get an approval if I get one at all" and then proceeded to tell me where I can go off post! My husband and I have an appointment today with the Chief of Preventive Medicine but I am really nervous about it. They have made it obvious to me that they are trying their hardest to discourage me from following through with this. They have asked for proof of my "religious tenets" and wanted a letter from our "clergy"! Have you been able to get anywhere since you posted this?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearof5 View Post

I have just began the process of trying to get my religious exemption... you are definately further than I am. I'm just trying to get my kids in CYS for sports. We are at Ft Riley in KS which is also in the Western Region. They told me that "they are reviewing the religious exemption policy and they aren't approving them so easily and it will takes months to get an approval if I get one at all" and then proceeded to tell me where I can go off post! My husband and I have an appointment today with the Chief of Preventive Medicine but I am really nervous about it. They have made it obvious to me that they are trying their hardest to discourage me from following through with this. They have asked for proof of my "religious tenets" and wanted a letter from our "clergy"! Have you been able to get anywhere since you posted this?

Just say that you believe God created us perfect and you believe that it is wrong and arrogant to believe we can improve upon God's perfect creation. Therefore, it would be a violation of your religious principle's to vaccinate your children. (If he says "then you reject all medical care?/are you Jehovah's Witness?/Scientology?" repeat above).

I would avoid being too specific; one reason being you run the risk of giving philosophical reasons that SEEM religious.

Actually, I would avoid being specific at all, but if it happens..."are you claiming to be a religious authority with dominion over a dependent's religious beliefs? Army regulations do not specify such authority. Members who want an exemption for themselves need doctrinal/clergy support by regulation, dependents do not."

I would try to have the attitude of "I'm not trying to be difficult, but I know the regulations." I wouldn't wait months though; on another thread, a poster who called the IG was told to give the base commander a couple of weeks, then they would investigate.

Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F
:

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf

specifically states, "Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt. "[/quote]

Army Regulation 608-10

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r608_10.pdf
Child Development Services

4-6
(2) A waiver of the immunization requirement must be approved in writing by the Chief, Preventive Medicine or
health consultant. Parents must be counseled that children with waivers will be excluded from the program in the event
of vaccine preventable communicable disease outbreak.

C–37. Compliance item 15.

c. Equivalency. A waiver of immunizations signed by Chief, Preventive Medicine may be considered for religious
convictions. Parents must be counseled that the child may be excluded during an outbreak of vaccine preventable
communicable disease.

Army Dependent Exemption Memos

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM

I just came from the Preventive Health office and they told me that I have to schedule an appt with the head of Preventive Health, once I come to the appt he will go through my children's records and see what vaccines they have and which ones they are missing. After he does that he will access which vaccines I will be allowed to be exempt from! I can't believe this! He told me that they are currently revising the regulation and it basically won't have religious exemptions... I also spoke with another mom who has a religious exemption and they have pulled her exemption. They told her that she has to have her children vaccinated for the measles and pertussis to be able to continue their enrollment in CYS. My children have been partially vaccinated because I didn't have any convictions about the vaccines until about 2 years ago. I was unaware of what was in the vaccines and was vaccinating my children thinking that's just what "good" moms do.  The man we spoke with today said the new regulation should be out soon, it's just waiting for a signature... We also went in there with the regulations printed out and highlighted the appropriate sections. His response was that it was still at the discretion of the head of preventive medicine to approve our exemption. My next move is to call IG but as of right now I don't feel like it's going to help...

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearof5 View Post The man we spoke with today said the new regulation should be out soon, it's just waiting for a signature... We also went in there with the regulations printed out and highlighted the appropriate sections. His response was that it was still at the discretion of the head of preventive medicine to approve our exemption. My next move is to call IG but as of right now I don't feel like it's going to help...

As currently written the AirForce has the worst daycare regs, but a poster was told by the AF IG that a new regulation was coming out that made it easier to do exemptions, and the IGs have been helpful when posters have contacted them over overseas sponsorship issues...so, I wouldn't give up without contacting the IG.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I didn't use the on-base daycare but my 2 unvaxed kids attended DOD schools in Germany with religious exemption.  It was no issue at all at the time, this was 3 years ago.  I have to wonder if the chaplain's corp could be enlisted into helping here.   Across the services there are Christian Science chaplains, UU chaplains, and perhaps other faiths represented that may go to bat for military families on this issue.   This pertains to the religious rights of dependents, and it seems to me the chaplains will be interested in this.  I found the following by googling "Air Force Chaplain Corp"

www.usafhc.af.mil/whatwedo/index.asp

"Air Force personnel serve our country around the world. United States Air Force Chaplains and Chaplain Assistants serve side-by-side. The United States Air Force Chaplain Corps serves as a visible reminder of the Holy by providing spiritual care and the opportunity for Air Force members and their families to exercise their constitutional right to freedom of religion. "

I'd love to see the chaplains step in here, it's in their job description!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Thank you so much for the responses! I'm going to try all these avenues!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Please keep us posted. Military families need information & help on non-vaxing.  I didn't know a single non-vaxing military family when we moved to Germany and had no resources like the women at MDC here to talk with.  I met only one family overseas who said they didn't vax -- it's not something the moms speak of in general conversation.   I always figured it was nobody's business anyway, and when you're crunchy granola surrounded by mostly conservative army wives, I learned to keep quiet.  In Kaiserslautern there is a UU Fellowship, and that's where I found people I could talk to.

When we were getting ready to go to Germany I was having heart palpitations due to anxiety over this issue.  I was raised in Christian Science and although I am not practicing I still speak the language and live most of the principles in my heart.  My DH is UU. So I wanted a CS chaplain to help me with the exemption.  One was unreachable, deployed in Iraq at the time, and the other was a reservist on TDY somewhere else for months.  It was weeks before he called me back.  We spoke at length several times, then it took more time to get the exemption written and his signature on it.  Meantime DH was trying to get his assignment set up and orders, he was getting too close to deadlines.  We had to get the exemption and then meet with the medical people to confirm the kids could go before the orders were cut.  My DH knew I was in panic mode so he snuck it up on me -- "btw, we're going to meet the medical officer today at 11:00.  Bring the kids and the paperwork and don't be late."  It was an LtC doctor and I was terrified he'd look at that exemption paper and start grilling me.  But it was very easy, he was trying to find out if there were any special needs they would need to accommodate overseas -- therapy for special needs kids, chronic medical conditions, or wheel-chair access in housing, stuff like that.  After that I was so relieved it felt like I'd built a mountain out of a molehill.  And after we got there, the DOD schools accepted the exemption and that was it.  No sweat.  But the daycare is another ballgame and I never even tried to use it after seeing their tight statement on vaxing in the paperwork.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM

not sure if someone has mentioned it yet, just wanted to invite you to also check out our Military Mothers tribe, another good place to chat and figure things out with a great group of been there done that ladies 

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1311316/military-moms-may-june-2011

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

User Tag List