Just a dumb rant/vent and nobody to tell it to. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2 year old DD got scarlet fever last week from Group A Strep (same as strep throat but she didn't have a sore throat).

I posted a picture of her on my Facebook.

fast forward 2 days and I am at work and another nurse asked how she was doing. Here is the conversation between 3 of us.

Nurse 1.  "How is Sarah doing?"

Me: "She is crabby and her rash is now very itchy"

Nurse 2. "Boy your kids really get sick when they get sick!"

Me:  "I know!  We don't take them to daycare or vaccinate and they still get weird stuff."

Interupting nurse Haggle! "Well...maybe if you vaccinated, they wouldn't get sick!!!" (who asked you!!!!-me in my mind!)

Me: "Is there a vaccine against scarlet fever?  No-there isn't so how would injecting her with poison keep her from getting it?"

Interupting nurse....silence (for once!)  She always has something to say negatively about everything.  When we were adopting little DD she asked "Don't you have enough kids?"  when I started homeschooling "How are you going to do that AND work?"  UGH..

OK vent over!

Melissa, L&D RN now...aspiring midwife-2-B,
20yo DS, 7yo DD, almost 2 yo DD, 1yo GDD
#2 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Some people are negative no matter what.  it's frustrating. I'd try to keep conversation to a bare minimum with her. I have a "friend" like that and she drives me crazy. 

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 AM

It sounds like her social filter is a bit out of whack.  There are just some things you keep to yourself...Just like the old saying goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  Some people just blurt things out without thinking, and she certainly sounds like one of 'em! I avoid those people like the plague.  I find it hard to believe that a nurse doesn't know there is not a vaccine for scarlet fever. She must have been out sick that day smile.gif

Glad you quieted her up.  Way to go!thumb.gif

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM

#5 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

So its fine that you think Vaxes are poison, but this isn't really relevant to your conversation.  The first part of the quoted statement is, but vaxes aren't considered "poison" by the vast majority of people - so saying that is offensive to those of us that DO vax - even though we did our research.

This is the "Choosing Not to Vaccinate" board-- the "vast majority" of people here do not vaccinate at all, others some. People are going to sometimes post negatively about vaccinationshrug.gif.

Quote:

poi·son/ˈpoizən/

A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means.

www.thefreedictionary.com/poison

Even medical treatments that most people in the mainstream consider beneficial are poison by design, such as chemotherapy.

yummus likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:

So its fine that you think Vaxes are poison, but this isn't really relevant to your conversation.  The first part of the quoted statement is, but vaxes aren't considered "poison" by the vast majority of people - so saying that is offensive to those of us that DO vax - even though we did our research.

Wow.  She was recounting a conversation she had, about someone being offensive about her not vaccinating.

Not everything is an attack on you.

miami mommy, yummus and MamaofLiam like this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Lol Melissa, it seems like you can't go anywhere to vent about vaccines!

Seriously though, we non-vaxxers are the minority. The world is against us most of the time. We do need this place to come and vent once in a while, you know? And, most of us do believe that vaccines are harmful poison, and it's comforting to talk with others who share the same view.

Keep up the good work, Melissa!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#8 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 AM

#9 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:

And saying so in the real world, without regard to whether or not the people you are speaking to also believe the same thing, makes the OP the one without a social filter.  Saying "there is no vax for Scarlett fever" would have been fine - and more than enough to get her point across.

Bokonon - no, not everything is an attack on me.  I was coming in from the main page, b/c it was the most recent post, and I didn't realize that this was the not vaxing forum.  Saying that vaxes are poison, to someone who vaxes (in here, or in the real non-virtual world) is offensive.  Sorry that y'all got called on it.

I think the OP is free to say whatever she wants, to whomever she wants, and she can feel vaccines are poison all she wants as well. Just like you can feel they are not poison. We all have the right to our opinions/choices. If you don't feel they are poison, then why does it bother you that some people do? 

The point was that the interrupting nurse seems to always be very rude to her, so I surely don't blame her for sticking up for herself and letting her social filter become a tad out of whack as wellsmile.gif. Sometimes with people like that nurse who judge you on a whim, you have to be a bit stronger with them so they can quiet down and leave you alone about your own personal choices. People should really mind their own business on topics like that rather than budding in and trying to act as if they know the secret code to the world.

After all, the OP is coming here for support and I'm sure she would prefer support much more than being attacked on her own thread. 

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#10 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM

#11 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

The "I'm Not Vaccinating" forum is a place where we can come to vent about our choice not to vaccinate. It is actually annoying that we are being attacked here in the "safe zone." Do you know what we must go through, out there in the real world? We face harsh criticism all the time, and it is not easy on us. You disagree with our decision not to vax, and that is fine. But at least let us have a place to be able to vent with other like minds.

From my understanding, this big-mouthed nurse had given her pro-vax, unwelcomed opinion one too many times, and Melissa had enough of it. She thinks vaccines are poison, but she probably would not have said anything if the other nurse didn't constantly provoke her.

MamaofLiam likes this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#12 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Then I should be able to say to you, and to all others, that not vaxing your children puts them at risk of VPS's that they can die of, and that you clearly don't love your children b/c you aren't vaxing them.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like that very much - just like I don't like non-vaxers telling me that I'm injecting my children with poison.  Either here, or in the real world.

No, we can't just say whatever we want whenever we want to - unless of course we all want to be seen as having no social filter and being mean and rude all the time.  Come on, you don't just walk around saying, "Do you vax?  Thats poison!!"  I also can't walk around telling you that you're making a bad choice.

Sure, we can all believe whatever we want - spouting it all over the place is an entirely different story.

I had actually blocked you so that I don't have to see your posts, but then I saw that you responded to me.  So, why don't you do me a favor and block me as well so that I don't have to worry about that.

What are we in high school? Between this and the other thread where you make the same statements about how all non-vaxers are attacking you, Im starting to feel like I'm in the twilight zone. You know sometimes newbies post threads asking people WHY they vax or they don't vax. So how are people who don't vax because they feel that they would be injecting their children with toxic chemicals suppose to respond? What it sounds like is that you expect everyone to just keep their mouth shut and keep their opinions to themselves. How would anything ever get discussed/addressed if people always did that? I think everyone is entitles to their opinions. Here and IRL. While I agree that there are more and less tactful ways of expressing one's opinion (I'm thinking Amanda Peete (parasites) and Bill Gates (baby killers)), I don't think that a person who expresses the opinion that vaccines are dangerous and they do not want to take the PERSONAL risk of injecting those dangerous chemicals into their child is being disrespectful or attacking others who may come to a different conclusion after doing their research. I think what many non-vaxers take issue with is that many parents vaccinate without doing 1 shred of research themselves. Clearly this does not apply to those on MDC. The very fact they they/we are here discussing it indicates that questions about their safety have arrisen at some point and they either have done or are in the processing of doing their own research. But if I had 1$ for every parent that I have spoken to that have never even thought to question the CDC schedule but follow it "because I'm suppposed to" I could have bought myself a Fendi purse. I really don't know why you are taking this so personally. There have been folks post here directly saying that people that do not vaccinate don't love their children and that they are ignorant in terms of understanding the science. I have not seen that to be the case for any non-vaxer who expresses the opinion that vaccines are full of chemicals that in their opinion are harmful. More specifically I have not seen any non-vaxer state that people who vax don't love their children. You are taking a personal opinion and gereralizing it's meaning to suggest that all non-vaxers think vaxers are knowingly poisoning their children. This is simply not the case.

BeckyBird and MamaofLiam like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#13 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM

#14 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

This thread was temporarily removed for review due to the reports received about it. After reviewing it, I decided to return it so that discussion may continue.

There are opinions expressed by members of MDC that are offensive to some. You are welcome to express your feelings and your disagreement in a respectful manner. If you can't do so then you'll have to agree to disagree and step out of the discussion. 

Thanks for your patience everyone. :)

#15 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

If you're just trying to teach us all social etiquette, then I think you need to take a step back and look in the mirror first.

This is OFFENSIVE.  Please remove this.  I have reported this to the mods AGAIN (b/c apparently you non-vaxers can be rude and offensive all you want on this non-vax forum and not get your posts removed. 

Please do not qoute me any longer, as I have asked that all my posts to this thread be removed.

#16 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have officially entered the twilight zone and now  am Bolt.gif

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#17 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I have officially entered the twilight zone and now  am Bolt.gif

yeahthat.gif

#18 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Ok... back to original post, I hear you misidawnrn! It is especially irritating when someone who has nothing positive to add to a conversation interjects and as it appears in this case is trying to be combative. In my mind, she crossed the line and got what she deserved. If she wanted respect, she should treat you with respect. Maybe she'll think twice before giving out any of her snarky comments. Good for you! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by misidawnrn View Post

2 year old DD got scarlet fever last week from Group A Strep (same as strep throat but she didn't have a sore throat).

I posted a picture of her on my Facebook.

fast forward 2 days and I am at work and another nurse asked how she was doing. Here is the conversation between 3 of us.

Nurse 1.  "How is Sarah doing?"

Me: "She is crabby and her rash is now very itchy"

Nurse 2. "Boy your kids really get sick when they get sick!"

Me:  "I know!  We don't take them to daycare or vaccinate and they still get weird stuff."

Interupting nurse Haggle! "Well...maybe if you vaccinated, they wouldn't get sick!!!" (who asked you!!!!-me in my mind!)

Me: "Is there a vaccine against scarlet fever?  No-there isn't so how would injecting her with poison keep her from getting it?"

Interupting nurse....silence (for once!)  She always has something to say negatively about everything.  When we were adopting little DD she asked "Don't you have enough kids?"  when I started homeschooling "How are you going to do that AND work?"  UGH..

OK vent over!

#19 of 20 Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

I always like to come to the vaxxing boards for my daily dose of internet dramatea6.gif

OP...I totally feel ya. I don't even talk to people about it really, because I know the reactions that I will get...

My mom asked me if I was doing anymore vaxes with DD (we did all of 1 round) and I said no and her GF proceeded to inform me thats "tons of babies have died from measles all over the country because there was a recent outbreak, especially in California." She was talking about the latest round of Pertussis but why even bother correcting them, yk? I tend to be very forceful (i.e not interested in a debate) with a few topics, BFing and vaxes and most of my family knows to leave it alone. I am not interested in their parenting advice thanks. 

If it was a nearly complete stranger, I think I would just laugh, especially at her total lack of knowledge...Why didn't I hear about that Scarlett Fever vaccine?!?

#20 of 20 Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page