Non-vaxxing and starting school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is starting school in the fall and I'm wondering if you could share your experiences (good and bad) regarding your non-vax stance and the public school system.  Isn't this type of medical info covered under HIPPA ( I think ) so it can't be shared with anyone else except the school nurse and administration, right?  Thanks :-)

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#2 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

While my DS is not starting public school for 2 more years - I do not anticipate a problem. I have a non-vaxing friend who lives around the corner from me and her daughter attends the same school DS will be going to and she had no issues enrolling her.

My DS will be going to preschool in the fall and I asked point blank when we were visiting the school if me filing a religious exemption would be a problem and was told no - no problem, so I'm not too worried.

I think it really depends on what state you are in and even on the school. There have been lots of folks here enroll their kids with no problems and there have also been horror stories of people who have had to fight with the school district or angry nurses or misinformed administrators. It's really a crap shoot. Just make sure you know your state laws going in in case you have any problems. Good luck!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM

My kids are home schooled through a public charter school, and we haven't had any problems whatsoever. When we enrolled my 5 year old last year, the secretary (who handles all the enrollment packets) stopped me on the way out and went out of her way to tell me how to exempt from the medical and dental exam for kindergartners (I already knew how, but she was being helpful and just figured I might want to know since i was doing vax exemptions). When ds1 was in a brick and mortar charter school for k/1, there was a measles outbreak at his school. He would have been kept out of school for a month or so due to our exemption, but he'd actually had one dose of the measles vax as a toddler before we stopped vaxing, and that was enough for the health department to let him come back. That's really the only "problem" we've had not vaxing, but it's one I expected to have to deal with at some point. And, as far as I know, they aren't allowed to share the information with anyone. Not even my son's teachers knew his vax status when he was out for a few days at the beginning of the measles outbreak while we sorted things out - they actually thought he might have the measles, since the first two kids who went out with the measles were ones ds played and worked with a lot.
#4 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We've never had an issue, the exemption is accepted without anyone batting an eye. My kids go to private school but it is a tiny school that has a local shared schooling arrangement with the public school to access PE, computers, library, etc... so my kids also have to all their info on file at the public school. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

op - Thank you ladies for your responses.  I am in AZ so my state accepts all three exemptions so I feel a lot better now about turning everything thing in.   :)

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#6 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm in Washington state. There's a spot on the vaccination form where I just sign my name saying I do not vax. Easy peasy beautiful. No problems. here. 

#7 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure next year you will also have to get a doctor's signature on your exemption form, saying they have discussed with you the risks of not vaccinating.

http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/193274/193274.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava View Post

I'm in Washington state. There's a spot on the vaccination form where I just sign my name saying I do not vax. Easy peasy beautiful. No problems. here. 

#8 of 8 Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I'm pretty sure next year you will also have to get a doctor's signature on your exemption form, saying they have discussed with you the risks of not vaccinating.

http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/193274/193274.pdf

I wonder if that applies to children already enrolled? I don't recall filling out a new form every year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page