Moral Dilema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, feel free to point me in the direction of previous threads.

Long story short, my 3 year old is vax free.  My older child had some medical issues that may or may not have been caused by vax side effects, so I have put off vaccinating the 3 year old.  The more I research, the more I dont want to vax at all.  Ok, the dilema part... we live in a state (NC) that doesnt allow philosophical exemptions.  Even with my strong feelings about not vaccinating any more, I am having a very hard time with the idea of having to lie so my kids can go to public school.  And my DH is completely against it (lying on the form).  Im Methodist.. it is not against my religion to vaccinate.  However, it is against my religion to lie. 

I HATE that I'm in the position of having to either sacrifice their health or their education.  Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?   Thanks in advance, I'm really struggling with this,

Jennifer
Mama to DS 8/21/02 * DD 5/27/06 * DD 4/27/08 * DS 8/27/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

"If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Part, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements."

http://www.immunizenc.com/Exemptions.htm

What are your personal religious beliefs about protecting your child from harm? The denomination of your church has nothing to do with it.

By the way, there is no form in North Carolina. You just write your own short statement that the immunization requirements are against your religious beliefs.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 AM

I'm Christian, but my "religion" is not against vaccination per say. However, I don't believe God wants us to be sheep and blindly follow what the Government and Pharmaceutical companies tell us, and I believe he gave us amazing immune systems for a reason. I also don't think God would want us injecting our babies with aborted fetus and animal tissues or all those toxins. SO, I would not be lying if I said it went against my religious beliefs.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm in agreement with Chloebelle, vaccinating is not 'against' my religion specifically, but it is against my and DH's personal religious convictions, based on the reasons Chloebelle said.  So I would have no problem at all saying that my decision to not vax is because of my religious beliefs (oh, and lying is against our religion too!)

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well in the words of Jesus " Whoever would harm one of these little ones, it would be better for him if he had a heavy weight fastened about his neck and be thrown into the sea"

I believe vaccines to be harmful.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM

In the similar words of a doctor,  "If we doctors threw all our medicines into the sea, it would be that much better for our patients and that much worse for the fishes." Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes, MD.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 PM

I, unfortunatly, just had to defend my decision to not vaccinate at the doctor's office yesterday. We are currently attending a Baptist church, and the PNP "informed" us that is was not against Baptist beliefs to vaccinate. I replied that specifically, since the MMR was originally developed from an aborted fetus, I wanted no part of such a thing. She tried to wave it off as being "over forty years ago" but I simply said that it still mattered to me. So, I'm not lying when I say that. Also, my kids are in public school, and it has never been an issue for us to register them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate them. 

Jennifer
Mama to DS 8/21/02 * DD 5/27/06 * DD 4/27/08 * DS 8/27/09
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post

I, unfortunatly, just had to defend my decision to not vaccinate at the doctor's office yesterday. We are currently attending a Baptist church, and the PNP "informed" us that is was not against Baptist beliefs to vaccinate. I replied that specifically, since the MMR was originally developed from an aborted fetus, I wanted no part of such a thing. She tried to wave it off as being "over forty years ago" but I simply said that it still mattered to me. So, I'm not lying when I say that. Also, my kids are in public school, and it has never been an issue for us to register them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Not that it is your doctor's business, but unless you said that you don't vaccinate because you are a Baptist it doesn't matter if there is doctrinal support for not vaxing. "I don't vaccinate for religious reasons; no, I will not discuss my religious beliefs with you."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

User Tag List