Not vaxxing in Canada - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, we are planning on not vaxxing, this will be our first child so we have no experience in the matter!  I was hoping to hear some experiences of what it is like to not vax in Canada, how do doctors and hospitals etc. react to your decision?  I have no idea what our family dr will say and I already getting really nervous about telling her.

I know vaccinating is not mandatory in Canada, in our province (Sask) it is not even necessary to attend school (although we will be homeschooling so that's not an issue anyway).  I feel very confident in our decision to not vax but I don't want to have to argue and listen to horror stories etc.  Any advice or experiences?

Thanks! 

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm Canadian (BC), and got minimal resistance from our family doc, and if you read the "Not Vaccinating and the ER" thread here, you'll see how some of my ER experiences were. I don't do well baby visits, but when I do go, the doc has asked if I'm still not vaxing and let's me know he doesn't like that idea, but he's cool.

Preschool was a breeze. I just wrote a short note saying we do not vax for personal reasons.

One thing is, the Health nurses would call periodically, and sent out letters "reminding" us that the kid's vax's weren't up to date in their records. They eventually stopped.

HTH!

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 PM

I got phone calls about DS 1 when he was due for vaccinations when he was little. When he started school a few years ago, the health unit sent a letter home though the school listing the ones he was missing.  Then I didn't hear anything for years until there was the outbreak of measles after the Olympics in Vancouver.  They mailed us a reminder that he still hadn't gotten the MMR booster.  He was vaxed until he was 17 months so all he is missing is the preschool boosters. 

My Second DS is not vaxed at all and I've not gotten a single phone call about him because he was born UC.  We must have gotten under the Health Units radar.  I am sure once he starts school I'll be getting one of those letters again.

We don't really have a regular doc that we see since they so rarely are sick. The few times we've needed one we have gone to the walk in clinic run by the doctors we would see normally if we were to make an appointment. And on 2 occasions I've gone to the ER. We've never even been asked about vaccines.

Alberta has no vax requirements for school either.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Im in Stratford, Ontario.  When I told my Dr. I wasnt vaccinating my DD he threw a fit. I left in tears twice. I didnt go to her 4 or 6 month check up and he called CAS on me. THey did nothing obviously.  I had been weighing her at play group with the public health nurse. Shes a very healthy baby.   I discharged him as a Doctor and now looking for a new one, which is near impossible in this area.  Even the public health nurses think Im awful for not vaccinating her. 

Sometimes I think about it, just to relieve some tension.  Its hard.  But when I look at her perfect little face and bright blue eyes I just cant bring myself to do it.  I do have 3 older vaccinated children. But I didnt know then what I know now. 

When she goes to school I will have to fill out a bunch of forms and if there is an outbreak of any disease they will not let her go to school until its under control.  No problem.

#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janine23 View Post

Im in Stratford, Ontario.  When I told my Dr. I wasnt vaccinating my DD he threw a fit. I left in tears twice. I didnt go to her 4 or 6 month check up and he called CAS on me. THey did nothing obviously.  I had been weighing her at play group with the public health nurse. Shes a very healthy baby.   I discharged him as a Doctor and now looking for a new one, which is near impossible in this area.  Even the public health nurses think Im awful for not vaccinating her. 

Sometimes I think about it, just to relieve some tension.  Its hard.  But when I look at her perfect little face and bright blue eyes I just cant bring myself to do it.  I do have 3 older vaccinated children. But I didnt know then what I know now. 

When she goes to school I will have to fill out a bunch of forms and if there is an outbreak of any disease they will not let her go to school until its under control.  No problem.

That doctor sounds like a complete ass. I'd find a new one too. Maybe call some local Naturopath offices to see if they know of any nonvax-friendly MD's.

As far ar the health nurses go, they are the main vaccine pushers around here, so I'm not surprised they'd be against your decision. They are relentless when it comes to making sure we get our kids jabbed. Just ignore it all, and you'll get to a place where it won't bother you anymore. I was really sensitive when my first was young , but now I'm more convinced of my decision to not vax, and less intimidated by the "pushers" as time goes by.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#6 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Yes, same here.  Health Unit are the ones who hassle schools about non-vaxed kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page