Religious exemption.....but I'm athiest/agnostic...... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it possible to claim that vaccination is against the teachings of my religion if i have no religion? I'm not really athiest, that's easier to explain here in the Bible belt than I am a pantheist. As a panthiest, I believe that everything is part of the universe/God. I also believe that we have all that we need to survive within us (I mean other tahn food, water, shelter). So, as one with no formal teachings, can I claim the religious exemption?

I live in Oklahoma and can choose philosophical. However, i don't really like explaining it out. I mean, I think the science of vaccines is shoddy at best.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#2 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I’m not sure how current this is, but here is a copy of your state’s exemption form.

Here’s a little secret: You don’t HAVE to give them a reason.  There’s nothing in the state code compelling you to do so.

You’ll note from that link that you also don’t have to explain your religious beliefs or belong to an organized religion.

For my philosophical exemption, I simply wrote: “Pursuant to my legal right secured by State Code XYZ, I am claiming a philosophical exemption to the aforementioned vaccines.”

If you’re REALLY pressed to provide an explanation, keep it vague: “Philosophical disagreement over current vaccine schedule” or “Philosophical objection based on lack of adequately designed vaccine research.”  (We still don’t have that evil, unethical study of vaxed v. unvaxed children winky.gif). 

If you go the religious route, honestly, it’s their problem if they don’t understand pantheism.  Not yours. shrug.gif I think it would suffice to say, “Vaccination runs contrary to beliefs of pantheism.”  A woman in NY State didn’t have luck with this approach, but NYS is unique in how fascist it gets with this issue. irked.gif

Other people here may have better advice or experience….

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM

I am also curious as I can identify with your philosophical views

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sometimes I just hate this whole vax thing. I mean WHY should the state be involved in personal health matters?

What really irks me, my children's doctor, speech therapist, and some of the daycares AGREE with me. No one here questions vaxing and thinks I am weird. Well, I guess I am. I don't vax, circ, and homeschool..... I know no one who does all that.........

So, back to my beliefs. I found the pantheism.net website and it states "Pantheist beliefs are above all statements of an emotional response of reverence and belonging to Nature and the wider Universe in all their power, beauty and mystery."

So, that sums it up. :)

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#5 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 PM

We're atheists and we have a religious exemption. (there is no philisophical here)  Being in the Bible Belt, it's just easier to not tell people that we are atheists for a variety of reasons. And I don't give any reasons for my religious exemptions. It is against our religion. Period. I don't answer questions, I don't elaborate. If anyone were to ask (they never have so far) I would say that it's private and it's my right not to discuss it.

#6 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

We're atheists and we have a religious exemption. (there is no philisophical here)  Being in the Bible Belt, it's just easier to not tell people that we are atheists for a variety of reasons. And I don't give any reasons for my religious exemptions. It is against our religion. Period. I don't answer questions, I don't elaborate. If anyone were to ask (they never have so far) I would say that it's private and it's my right not to discuss it.

Almost the exact same for me. I could file philosophical in my state but I choose to file religious. I never explain it, never been questioned on it and I have 2 in school. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page