Who do you have the biggest problems with, ie NOT vaxxing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been pretty lucky with our family. They know we don't vax, and my mom's supportive.  She knows that we're smart enough to do our own research and that there's a reason we feel the way we do. My brother doesn't say anything against it, but they do whatever their doctor says and their baby is fully-vaxed. My sister listens to me (since I am respectful of her as well) and she chose to delay her son's MMR until he is at least 2, based on our recommendations. My dad doesn't say anything either way. I don't know if he cares or not. I think the IL's know, but we haven't discussed it with them. They know that we are more educated than they are in this area (DH just graduated from chiropractic school) and they know we wouldn't take their opinion about our kids' health anyways. We don't really share the knowledge with other random people, but most of our friends (in recent years) were also in chiropractic school, and many of them didn't vax or delayed vax. Our pediatrician there didn't give us any problems either, which was awesome. I'm not looking forward to our first confrontation, since it hasn't really happened yet!

#32 of 35 Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I admit, I have sort of started to flaunt that I do not vaccinate. I have developed answers to most of everything I get in response. The biggest thing is when others say they were fully vaccinated so their children will be too. Then I ask them if they have ever seen their shot records, they say no, but they know they got everything. I tell them that even my 15 yr old has not gotten everything that is given today because a lot of what is given right now was not even on the market when she was little. So there is no way they have had all the shots they propose to give their baby. Then I suggest they get every shot their baby gets. I tell them if they feel it is safe enough and needed enough for their baby, then they should get it themselves. Afterall, the child will most likely get the illness from the parents and therefore, if they think the illnesses are so bad that the shots are worth it, then they need to get the shots themselves. This has always ended the conversation. I have never had anyone try to argue with me beyond that.

My MIL asked me what WHO would think of my decision to not vaccinate, I told her considering the fact that the US has more shots than any other country in the world, I am thinking they would not care about most of the shots. That ended things with her too. 

peainthepod likes this.
#33 of 35 Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Since I am 40, the only shots out when I was born were the DTP and the polio. Small Pox was out but was discontinued shortly after I was born so I never had that shot. I had the measles and all that as a baby before the MMR shot came out. Everyone did when I was little. It was a normal childhood illness. The Chicken Pox shot came out after my older children had it, actually, around the same time...as they had the Chicken Pox. I was not about to give some wearing off shot to a child to prevent such a normal childhood illness, when the natural illness would make them immune for life (I know, on rare occassions, someone will get it a second time, but far more kids get chicken pox or shingles within years of the shots so I am not worried, at least my child won't have shingles as a 3 yr old). Back then, I did all the other vaccinations. Then they brought out the Hep A shot. Before the shot, it was an acute illness. After the shot, they claimed it was a seriously deadly illness. Even when my 16 yr old was born, Chicken Pox was normal, no big deal. Now it is supposedly deadly. I have my baby book from before the MMR. Those diseases are listed as mild innoculous normal childhood illnesses. Now, they are the source of utter fear and people convinced they will die if even exposed to it (those people who are so scared claim to put so much faith in their shots, but then freak if exposed as if they are convinced that they will not only get the disease, but also die from it). 

peainthepod likes this.
#34 of 35 Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Luckily I have no problem with our current Dr. and my parents understand. I have friends that would probably not even do playdates anymore if they knew. As far as privacy goes though it's hard when they start school. I made sure I had everything in order for the office. Well they sent in an absolutely obnoxious nurse to look over my exemption and she practiacally screamed out in front of the whole office asking me if my son had any vaccintations even though the exemption was right there. Everyone there, including any parent around could hear her. I made a big stink about it and spoke to the principal. She apologized but didn't say anything about the nurse being wrong. They will try to embarass and humiliate you if they can...even with all the proper forms in place.  I don't even want to send my son there now.

#35 of 35 Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM

The biggest problem I've had has been with the middle school.They refused to accept dd's exemption.Said they required a letter from a pastor,even though RI state law says nothing about it.I had to fight and got into quite a few arguments with the superintendents office.Finally they accepted it after I brought up hiring a lawyer.I'll have to go through this all over again in the fall I'm sure.

Our peds have all been ok about it.I finally found one I loved,but she is moving to NY.So I don't know how it's going to go with a new one.I'm not looking forward to it.

Family has been fine with it.Almost everyone knows.I don't go advertising it,but if asked I answer honestly.

I've found it's easier now that the kids are older.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page