Husband HAS to get MMR for wk--could he shed out anything to our unvaccinated 23 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband just got a new job at a hospital, and they did titers along with his physical, and they told him today that he is "low on his MMR titer, and now he HAS to get an MMR vaccine"  Our 23 month old is unvaccinated and now I am wondering--do I need to worry about the shedding of the virus-dad is very hands on.  HE told the nurse about our son, and his concern with the shedding, and of course she had no idea what he was talking about and told him she would ask around, but most likely he will not be able to get out of this.  Has this happened to anyone?  HAs anyone gotten MEasle Mumps of Rubella from shedding?  What should I do?  Thanks in advance--I am freaked out!!!

#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Ask your ob/gyn.  Is s/he up to date on his MMR boosters?

#3 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM

MMR is made with live, attenuated (deliberately weakened variety) viruses, so there is a chance your husband may shed some virus particles.

However, the chances of your unvaccinated child being infected and harmed by attenuated virus particles shed by your DH are far lower (basically zero) than the chances of him being harmed by any wild viruses that may be circulating in the community.

If you are freaking out about the MMR shedding viruses, why are you not equally freaked out by the possibility of a far more virulent wild virus infection?

#4 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post

MMR is made with live, attenuated (deliberately weakened variety) viruses, so there is a chance your husband may shed some virus particles.

However, the chances of your unvaccinated child being infected and harmed by attenuated virus particles shed by your DH are far lower (basically zero) than the chances of him being harmed by any wild viruses that may be circulating in the community.

If you are freaking out about the MMR shedding viruses, why are you not equally freaked out by the possibility of a far more virulent wild virus infection?

Well, since this is the "I'm Not Vaccinating" forum, I'd assume that the OP is more concerned about the risks of the vaccines themselves than the actual viruses.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM

I kind of see Lazy Gardens' point. Because for us, when we weighed the risks between vaccinating and not vaccinating, it was more of a risk of the ill-effects of vaccines vs getting the disease itself. I had to assume that whatever we don't vaccinate for (or delay vax for), that my children can get the disease at any given time. So when my 5 year old finally got the MMR, I did not find cause for worry that my 19month old might get something through shedding because that is a risk that I have chosen to take when I decided to delay vax for my children. It is a moot point, so to speak.

#6 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I do worry about him getting measles sometimes, but not on a daily basis or anything like that, just a concern sometimes when I hear about outbreaks.I feel like that is the chance I take not giving the vaccine.  I am more worried about the vaccine.  He has some sensory issues already and am not willing to risk it.  But, I was not sure how the shedding thing worked, and thought that he might have a bigger chance getting it from someone who is constantly kissing him, eating with him and sneezing near him( husband has some seasonal allergies and is a frequent sneezer), if the shedding was a problem.  Just wanted some info about shedding.

#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I believe the shedding is an issue with the Rubella portion of the MMR. Shedding for Measles has been deemed "theoretically possible" by the CDC. Meaning that while it's possible - there have been no documented cases that they are aware of.

Not sure that makes you feel better.

My DS has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. I know he's been around a bunch of kids who have gotten the MMR.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM

If your husband does not want to be vaxed, check this page out: http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm OSHA allows exemptions.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

If your husband does not want to be vaxed, check this page out: http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm OSHA allows exemptions.

OSHA's exemption only applies to the Hepatitis B vaccine

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page