Do Texas vaccine exemptions REALLY expire in 2 years? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As in...do they have the legal right to make you re-apply for the form and get it notarized again? I have two daughters in public school...one is in K and the other in 2nd grade. This is the 2nd year they've each had a vaccine exemption on file. (We moved here to Tx 2 years ago.)

Anyhoo, the school nurse at my youngest child's school wrote me a letter informing me that her vaccine exemption is about to expire, and that she won't be allowed to enroll into 1st grade without an up to date exemption.

The exemption form does state that it is good for two years.  But am I legally required to honor that statement?  Does the law give the state health department the right to make me get it again?  I tried looking through the language of the law, but I'm confused as to whether I'm reading actual law or interpretation of the law...

This is what I've been piecing through: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/texas.aspx

If you have any insight on this, please let me know.  In case you're wondering, this is merely a matter of principle.  The exemption is really easy to obtain.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 2 Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, you need new exemptions  Exclusions from Immunization Requirements. I ordered 5 per child and only notarized them as needed.

Exemptions to Immunization Requirements:

Link to domain outside of DSHSChapter §97.62

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page