Texas preschool issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just enrolled my ds2 (age 4) in a little private preschool - he started Monday.  It took me a day to get them the exemption notarized, as this was a bit last minute.  He has been in another preschool with less-then-convenient hours, which is why we switched.  I also have an older son that attended a few with no issues (we are totall no-vax).  So this morning (as I was loading him up to go to school) I got an email from the director asking me if he had had any vaxes, and that she needed to know asap.  I took him in with the exemption and spent 20 minutes explaining my reasoning for not vaxing to her.  I really like her, my son likes the school, and she was really trying to understand.  But she obviously wasn't happy.  She said she is trying to decide whether or not to let him continue at the school.  Really it's not the end of the world if she decides to drop him, we have other options, but he likes it, it has great hours and a sweet teacher, and I thought we were good to go.  So this has really frustrated me. 

Her specific issues were that they had a pertussis outbreak last year (which involved two VACCINATED kids) and she's gun-shy about letting him in with no vaxes.  She said "I feel that these kids who aren't immunized are weakening the vaccines".  Uh-huh.  So obviously I have to decide whether to fight by getting her some information supporting the fact that vaccine rates are higher than ever and the effectiveness of DPT is quite shaky, etc., or I just let it go and move on. 

I don't know - just thought I would get some opinions on here.  The whole thing has left a sour taste for me today, as I don't want my son to go anywhere where he is not totally welcomed and loved and nurtured.  And while I think she wouldn't blame him for it, I don't know, I still don't want to be somewhere we are not wanted.

So this is a vent, and a "what would you do" post, I suppose.  TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Sorry to hear that happened to you.  Wish I had some advice, but I understand how you feel, I get lectures on my vaccine stance for my children and it gets tiring.  Good luck.

#3 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post

I just enrolled my ds2 (age 4) in a little private preschool - he started Monday.  It took me a day to get them the exemption notarized, as this was a bit last minute.  He has been in another preschool with less-then-convenient hours, which is why we switched.  I also have an older son that attended a few with no issues (we are totall no-vax).  So this morning (as I was loading him up to go to school) I got an email from the director asking me if he had had any vaxes, and that she needed to know asap.  I took him in with the exemption and spent 20 minutes explaining my reasoning for not vaxing to her.  I really like her, my son likes the school, and she was really trying to understand.  But she obviously wasn't happy.  She said she is trying to decide whether or not to let him continue at the school.  Really it's not the end of the world if she decides to drop him, we have other options, but he likes it, it has great hours and a sweet teacher, and I thought we were good to go.  So this has really frustrated me. 

Her specific issues were that they had a pertussis outbreak last year (which involved two VACCINATED kids) and she's gun-shy about letting him in with no vaxes.  She said "I feel that these kids who aren't immunized are weakening the vaccines".  Uh-huh.  So obviously I have to decide whether to fight by getting her some information supporting the fact that vaccine rates are higher than ever and the effectiveness of DPT is quite shaky, etc., or I just let it go and move on. 

I don't know - just thought I would get some opinions on here.  The whole thing has left a sour taste for me today, as I don't want my son to go anywhere where he is not totally welcomed and loved and nurtured.  And while I think she wouldn't blame him for it, I don't know, I still don't want to be somewhere we are not wanted.

So this is a vent, and a "what would you do" post, I suppose.  TIA!

Well I just read the vaccine laws including exemptions for Texas and the way it reads - the law applies to licensed day care facilities. All daycare facilities are private as public school doesn't begin until Kindy. Therefore this women has no choice but to accept your exemption, I assume she is licensed by the State of Texas? If so, doesn't matter whether she likes it or not. If she denies your child entrance even though you have complied with texas law and provided her with the exemption, she would be in violation and you could sue her. I hear that you don't want your child to be somewhere he is not wanted. Id perhaps gently remind her of state law (maybe print it out for her).  

Quote:
  The vaccine requirements apply to all children and students entering, attending, enrolling in, and/or transferring to child-care facilities or public or private primary or secondary schools or institutions of higher education.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies:).  Interesting marnica, I didn't think private schools had to let someone in.  I have almost decided just to pull him and try somewhere else, which is a bummer, but I just hate the "I'll think about letting him stay" thing.  Blek.

#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Well I just read the vaccine laws including exemptions for Texas and the way it reads - the law applies to licensed day care facilities. All daycare facilities are private as public school doesn't begin until Kindy. Therefore this women has no choice but to accept your exemption, I assume she is licensed by the State of Texas? If so, doesn't matter whether she likes it or not. If she denies your child entrance even though you have complied with texas law and provided her with the exemption, she would be in violation and you could sue her. I hear that you don't want your child to be somewhere he is not wanted. Id perhaps gently remind her of state law (maybe print it out for her).  

Not so.

In 2006, the Texas State Attorney General issued a formal opinion concluding that Texas law doesn't require private schools to accept religious exemptions unless the school receives state funding.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well it all worked itself out strangely enough.  I emailed the director telling her that we were just going to withdraw so no one would feel uncomfortable.  She emailed right back that she had really thought about it and felt that I had done my research and she would love to have him stay.  She also wanted to sit down with me sometime and talk about it because she wanted to learn more.  AND one of the teachers there has a daughter who is questioning vaccines and she would love for me to talk to her too.  Go figure...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page