Right to work w/o vax? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I figured I'd bring this question to you very knowledgeable mamas:

I went through public schools in CA unvaccinated after a very scary reaction in infancy.  I had to vax, however, to attend the UC system (my folks didn't realize there was a philo exemption, and I didn't care at that point.)  I passed out in the Dr. office following my vax cocktail.  Very groggily, I went on to take a final exam that night at my community college.  I don't want to vax again for myself or my son.  That said, I was informed at a staff meeting on Monday, that if I as a teacher do not have a booster shot, I will be sent home for 21 days if I am exposed to Pertussis.  DH does not support non-vax, so this is a hard sell in my house. 

I have seen nothing from personnel saying that they need documentation of the pertussis booster for teachers, the way they need the TB test on file, so I might be off the hook.  But, as a teacher, I cannot be out that amount of time.  What do you all know about laws dealing with workplace vax directives?  I'm sure health care providers have "mandatory vax" requirements. 

I decided to "risk it" with my son being sent home from daycare without vax if there was an outbreak, but I'm curious about what rights I have. 

According to a pp and the article in Mercury News, it looks like the pertussis outbreaks ebb and flow on a 5 year or more cycle.  So, I should be okay for an outbreak for a few years, but I'm still curious about my rights.

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Legally I don't think any place of employment can do that unless they have a policy (ie it is in writing and evey employee has been informed and given the policy in writing). If you are saying your school doesn't have anything offcial, than they can't just make stuff up. However there is nothing to stop the school or district creating an official policy - but it would have to be in writing and you would have to be made appropriately aware of the policy (ie not just them telling you it's a policy). All businesses and schools too I think have a policy and procedure manual. If it is an official policy, it should be in there.

ETA - also if you have had 2 severe vaccine reactions, I would think that would be enough for you to obtain a medical exemption. (unofficially since they really only pertain to school) You'd just need to find a doc that believes you and would write one or a note detailing your reactions - unless you you have medical records from back then to support your claim.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also, OSHA allows vaccine exemptions. This has link to the Hep B exemption, but I am sure it could apply equally to others. http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

Also, OSHA allows vaccine exemptions. This has link to the Hep B exemption, but I am sure it could apply equally to others. http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

No - just the bep B vaccine. OSHA is only concerned with employees who are at risk from their job from blood borne pathogens.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page