Trying to enroll DS in school in Kentucky - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We recently moved to Kentucky from Arizona due to a job transfer. We never had any issues about our choice not to vaccinate in AZ but when I called the school DS will be attending, I was told I need a religious exemption provided and signed by a doctor. So I made an appointment, gritted my teeth and tried to prepare myself for a battle. Lo and behold, the doctor told me I need a note from my church stating that I'm a regularly attending member. Well, the problem is that I'm atheist and, while philosophical exemption was permissable in AZ, it's not here. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't know if it's this particular doctor or if every doctor would require this of me. Please help. TIA.

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#2 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah that's BULLDOODOO and these people don't know what they are talking about.

All you have to do is fill out this form

http://education.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/535FF8D6-1405-492E-991B-E1689996CBBF/0/RELIGIOUSEXEMPTION3.doc

and have it signed by the doc or your local health department. Here are your state laws

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/kentucky.aspx

there is nothing there about having to belong to any church or have the exemption filled out by a religious leader. Print out the law and turn it in with your exemption. You doc has to sign it by law if you are requesting it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. We used to see a naturopath when we were in AZ but I'm having a hard time finding any kind of alternative health care provider here who isn't focused on weight loss or addiction. We're also planning an unattended home birth in September (CPMs aren't legal here either) and would like to take our new baby to see a naturopath for his or her initial post-natal check-up. I think I'm just going to go through the health department to get this paperwork and then continue on my quest to find some sort of holistic doctor for my family.

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#4 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

HA! I just got off the phone with the health department who said they don't require any kind of documentation to prove my religion. So we have an appointment for tomorrow morning. WHEW! I'll tell ya, there are at least a few expletives that come to mind that I wouldn't mind sharing with that SOB doctor. What a jerk.

#5 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad you worked it out. There are so many school officials and doctors that truly do not know the laws of their own state. They assume parents are clueless and continue to pass on the party line whoch is often WRONG!

As for finding an ND - goodluck. Keep searching!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Glad you worked it out. There are so many school officials and doctors that truly do not know the laws of their own state. They assume parents are clueless and continue to pass on the party line which is often WRONG!

As for finding an ND - goodluck. Keep searching!

Yes, this!  I'm not sure how natural-minded friendly your new area is, but try the finding your tribe area here on MDC, there are a lot of parents here local to you that might be able to give you suggestions or workarounds :) 

Also, we took our exemption form to the local health dept., along with a notarized statement from me (was mandatory, not sure if it still is...?  check the law.)  Be prepared for them to try to talk you out of the exemption.  This doesn't always happen, but be prepared anyway.  Go in confident and don't engage in debate. 

#7 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 AM

I was told you cannot enroll your child in a KY school without proof of vaccinations...I just had my first and refused the hep b, and do not want any vaccines...did you have to get any vaccines at all? I am feeling great pressure from my pediatrician and am certain he will not treat my baby if I refuse to vaccinate...
#8 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Talk to StephandOwen.  Her son had a couple vaxes as an infant and nothing since then, and he goes to a school in Kentucky. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirogirl01 View Post

I was told you cannot enroll your child in a KY school without proof of vaccinations...I just had my first and refused the hep b, and do not want any vaccines...did you have to get any vaccines at all? I am feeling great pressure from my pediatrician and am certain he will not treat my baby if I refuse to vaccinate...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks! Also, they are freaking me out, basically saying he will die for sure if I decide to not vaccinate...it's a bit overwhelming with the first baby!
#10 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Just want to chime in that although CPMs are illegal in Kentucky, there are quite a few practicing under the radar if you would like some form of attended homebirth.  I'd be happy to point you in their direction through PM if you'd like. 

Tags
Vaccinations , Exemption , School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page