Call from the CDC?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so I'm really irritated right now.  I just got a call from someone from the CDC conducting a "random" survey on immunizations.  When I told her I was busy she asked when she could call back...."in half an hour?" she asked.  I hesitated.....no, that wouldn't suit.  "how about tomorrow?"  "sure, you can try me tomorrow"...."what time tomorrow?"....then I was like, I'm sorry, what is the urgency in this and she spouted off something about being a professional and not a telemarketer and the importance of this survey and blah blah blah and I said I wasn't interested in participating and pretty much hung up.  WTH???  Ok, am I really to believe that this was random?  I get notices all the time from my insurance company "reminding" me that kids need to be up to date on their shots and they conveniently include the shot schedule.  I just feel like these ppl are breathing down my neck and I just want to be left alone. I want to take my kids to the doctor without having to be asked every time if we are vaccinating.  Oh yeah, which reminds me that tomorrow is my 3 month olds well baby visit.  So what would you have done? Take the survey or tell her to shove it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM

I don't take phone surveys regardless of who's calling.  You never know who might be trying to scam you or phish for personal information.

I think saying that you are not interested in participating should be enough.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree.  There is no way to verify who exactly is calling and I don't think it's anyone's business if we vaccinate or not.  Just thought it was weird.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM

The CDC does do random survey's like that, but you can never be sure what is legit and what is a scam nowadays.  Anyhow, I'd just refuse to participate and hang up, like you did. 

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM

I participated in a CDC vaccination survey a couple months ago.  It was incredibly long and annoying, and not set up for parents who don't vax by choice. It left me annoyed, but having confirmed that it was legit, I felt like it was important to voice that not all parents who don't vvax 'on time' are doing so because  they are lazy or ignorant. 

Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM

I think the CDC is more concerned with access to vaccines, rather than philosophical choices.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM

I don't dispute that at all- but the way the survey is written is questionable- imo.  It was multiple choice (and scripted) and in many of the cases, the answers weren't applicable to folks who may choose not to vax or who choose to delay. On a couple occasions the person asking the questions had to put me on hold to ask a supervisor which answer should be chosen because there wasn't an answer that was applicable to our situation. 

Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If the call was actually from the CDC (and it probably was), you were picked randomly by random number dialing.  If they call back again, say, "Take me off your list." If you say you're too busy, they WILL call back.

I would not participate because one of their objectives is to find out why people don't vaccinate, so they can tailor their advertising message to convince them to vaccinate. I see no reason to help them with that.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I simply feel uncomfortable discussing our personal decisions with a stranger, especially when I know the CDC's stance on vaccines and they want everyone to have them. I have a hard enough time dealing with doctors, so I don't want to spend a lengthy time on the phone answering questions like that. It's funny that although every state has exemptions, no one seems to know about them. Do you know how many times I've been told that my kids won't be able to go to school? My oldest starts next year and I'm not looking forward to registration. Oh well.  Guess this is just the way it is when you don't fit into the medical paradigm.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomama View Post

So what would you have done?  Take the survey or tell her to shove it?

I would have done the lattersmile.gif

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM

As ma2two said, you have to specifically ask to be taken off their list. Telling them no is not enough, as they'll just put you on the call back list. I've seen it mentioned in similar threads on here, and remember that as well from my very limited time as a telemarketer the summer after high school.

We've never gotten called for this survey, but I'm wondering if it's just because we don't have a land line. Has anyone gotten called on their cell?

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I did get another call from them yesterday and just told the guy that I don't have time to participate (which is true; a 4 yr old, 2 1/2 yr old and 3 1/2 month old...all boys). I asked him to remove me from the list and he said no problem. So hopefully that's the end of it.  

Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM

We got a letter in the mail from them today for the survey that said our phone number was chosen at random by computer. We've never gotten any calls, probably because we had our landline phone disconnected awhile back. Our son is not within the target age group anyway.

Just in case someone was looking for additional info, I'll mention that the letter gives the link http://cdc.gov/nchs/nis.htm for further information and also encourages you to call them. On that site you can see the interview questionnaire.  It has the whole script, including the different options, amounts paid out for participating, etc.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM

I would have done what you did. There is confidentiality in health issues and I think no one has to answer any questions regarding their health status - imagine they would ask in a work interview. I personally have never been asked about my kids' vax status at any hospital and I feel entitled to lie, just as much as I lie in questions like: how many sexual partners have you had, how many male, how many female - what the heck of a difference does it make if I or my kid has a bad cough!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List