Visit to doc's surgery resulted in Meningitis scaremongering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently took my 3.5 year old son to the doc's surgery when he had an asthma attack, and saw a nurse, who when she found out he wasn't vaccinated at all (they always seem to ask routinely, 'Is he up to date with his vaccinations?'), was absolutely horrified and wouldn't drop the subject, although I was firm and brief, saying I'd done the research and concluded that they were proven neither to be safe nor necessarily effective. Anyway, she wouldn't drop it even when I said I didn't want to get into a discussion, having been put under negative pressure from a previous doctor at another surgery. She went on to tell me about the Meningitis vac and how important it is to have that one even if I have no others, telling me how the disease comes on suddenly and how fatal it can be, etc. It all did sound alarming. I do know people who have lost children to Meningitis but this was years ago and I think they were vaxed anyway.

I would like to know if anyone has specific info on Meningitis and how to maybe prevent it etc, and the efficacy of the specific vaccines... because it has frightened me a bit...and it seems like unlike Measles etc, it's less of a case of the body  just strengthening itself through exposure to these illnesses. The nurse also pointed out that as the main reason to avoid vaccines tends to be fear of developmental disorders, now that he is older that is less of an issue. Which I don't agree with because the immune system doesn't mature till around 6 as I understand it. Anyway, any info or opinions would be very useful! I'm starting to dread going to the doctor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM

I don't know too much about it, but from what I do know, there are many strains of Meningitis, and the vax only covers certain ones. False sense of security, as people who get the vax think they're protected from getting Meningitis, which is not true at all. Any cases around here have been vaccinated kids. I also read that the Meningitis vaccines are the newest, and the least tested vaccines, and that cases of Meningitis have not necessarily dropped since the introduction of vaccines. Maybe someone else can clarify this more.

The thing with Meningitis is to know the early signs, like stiff/sore neck. If you get them to a doctor early, then it's pretty easy to treat from what I understand.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

sounds like they had the intended effect - the scare you.

meningitis can and often is fatal if not treated early enough. She was refring to bacterial meningitis which can be caused by a variety of bacterial strains that cause problems when they "go invasive". The vaccines that prevent this complication are said to be prevnar, hib and now the new menginococal vax that has just been added to the schedule. These vaccines cover only certain strains thought to cause the most sever illness. There are hundreds of other strains.

Issues with these vaccines include serotype replacement. As for efficacy what it is is efficacy of preventing infection with said bacteria - meningitis is not a free standing disease - it is a complication of certain kinds of bacterial infections.You would have to look up the purported efficacy rates of each of the vaccines -  One can also be sickened by viral meningitis.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I found this here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/09/21/major-concerns-surround-meningitis-vaccine-for-college-students.aspx

Quote:

Many incoming college students must take the meningococcal vaccine or risk not being admitted to their school.

But 41 percent of the vaccine's recipients report headaches, 35 percent report fatigue, and 20 percent report aches and pains in their joints.

Five recipients of the vaccine have developed Guillain Barre Syndrome, a condition similar to multiple sclerosis.

In addition, the vaccine does not protect against one-third of the strains of the disease, and does not guarantee immunity against any strains.

Less than 1 in 100,000 people contract the meningococcal meningitis disease annually in the U.S. Half of those who do contract it are infants, and most people who contract it fully recover. The disease is not easily transmitted. and many have already been exposed to it, rendering them immune. Only 5-15 college students nationwide die from this disease each year...

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.

User Tag List