Vax requirements in Montreal (area). - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is a possibility that our family will be making a (temporary = yr + or -) move to the Montreal area. My boys are currently 4 1/2 and 3 yrs old so they would (depending on when we go) be in PreK/K. Right now, we are using the "religious exemption" allowed by our state regarding not vaccinating. But, I am having difficulty finding info re: vax requirements in Canada - and specifically, Montreal area!

Can anyone help with this? If you have links, that would of course, be great. If you know the answers (from living there or whatever) that too would be VERY helpful!!

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Québec has no vaccine requirements for school.

http://www.vran.org has good information about Canadian vaccine requirements.

#3 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 AM

It's probably in the link above--the right not to vax is constitutionally protected in Canada, though 3 provinces require exemption forms for school.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Only 3 provinces, Manitoba, New Brunswick and Ontario, have vaccine requirements for school, and they have exemptions available. 

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/canada.htm

I used to have the link for the "HEALTH CANADA STATEMENT ON IMMUNIZATION" from the Health Canada website but they seem to have archived the page and I can't find it anywhere.  I did find a statement that some province require that kids are up-to-date on all vaccinations to enter school but that isn't exactly true since even the provinces that have some mandated vaccines only have a few.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 AM

As a PP mentioned, the right to not vaccinate is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I live in NB, one of the provinces that requires an exemption form but in my experience, it's just a formality. I've never had anyone bat an eye about my son's vax status (he is completely unvaxed). I believe only private preschools/schools have the right to refuse admission based on vax status but I've never heard of one that has. My son's preschool (private synagogue preschool) just had me sign a form. The same was true at the Montessori we looked at before choosing the synagogue. I have lots of friends that don't vax or do so delayed and/or selectively and no one I've heard of has had a problem.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page