How do you come back at this one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've found myself in a big vaccine debate so how would you respond?

What are some of the most compelling arguments you have against NOT vaccinating your infant ??

besides toxins, my whole thing is we dont know the long term repercussions of vaccines.  The physiological mechanism of its introduction to the body is COMPLETELY unnatural, but how can you "cite" peer reviewed journals on that? who would even have the money to fund such a study?

Are there any peer reviewed studies on the efficacy of vaccines?

He even goes on to say:

"The Wakefield study is the only one I know of, but it has been discredited, and Wakefield lost is license to proactive medicine. By the way, Wakefield held a PhD in medicine. Appeals to authority do not make strong arguments. It's better to rely on the body of evidence available."

I don't even know how to come back to something like that. Was it "discredited" and by who? I figure, you can almost discredit anything if you put the right spin on it, but can anyone back up that study with other sources??

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 PM

Honestly I don't debate. I did in the beginning of our vax journey, of course it was easier because my son was damaged by a vax :(  However I've come to the conclusion that arguing my belief or opinion, particularly on vaccination, was a no win situation. The pro-vax people (in my experience, and IMHO) refuse to listen to my opinion and nothing I say will ever be good enough to them.  

I'm sorry you've been put in the position to have to argue your point- or feel that you have to PROVE that you are making an educated decision for your child. 

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#3 of 4 Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM

"Vaccinations, like any other drugs, can have negative consequences--it is my right as a parent to make medical decisions for my child and decide what drugs, if any, are administered."

Wakefield wasn't in the news yet when I decided not to vaccinate, though whatever else you label it, vaccinations can cause brain injuryshrug.gif.

Beyond conformity has some advice on how to search journals for useful articles

Hilary's Desk

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 4 Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Obviously your friend knows nothing about Wakefield. He was a renouned surgeon - an MD not a PhD. As for the Wakefield case itself - the entire hsitory of the case study, the GMC trial and yes the alleged fraud that he committed is far to complex to get into here IMO. I can only tell you what I think having followed the case for quite some time. I think the man has had his entire life screwed by people who have far more money and power than he does. He was made an example of so that others like him (medical professionals) will not speak out. And yet despite this - he fights on to defend himself and the children.

I agree about not debating. Its nobody's business why I choose to do what I do. The only people I will discuss it with are people that are truly interested in my reasons and are open minded about it. You can usually tell who those people are as soon as they open their mouth.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page