Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's the press release:

Quote:

News Release

For immediate release: May 11, 2011                                                                         (11-071)

Contacts:            Michele Roberts, Immunization Program CHILD Profile                        360-236-3720

Julie Graham, Communications Office                                                    360-236-4022

Immunization law requires parents to get info on benefits and risks of vaccine

OLYMPIA ¾ Washington has one of the highest school immunization exemption rates in the nation. On Tuesday Governor Gregoire signed a bill requiring a parent or guardian to show that they have received information from a health care provider on the benefits and risks of immunization before opting out of school vaccination requirements.

“Childhood immunizations save lives and are one of the most effective ways to protect kids from serious, preventable illnesses,” says Secretary of Health Mary Selecky. “There’s a lot of confusing information about vaccine circulating around, this law makes sure that parents will get reliable facts from one of their most trusted sources — a health care provider.”

Previous state policy made it easy for parents to exempt their child from school immunization requirements based only on convenience. Washington’s exemption rates have more than doubled over the last 10 years — during the 2009-2010 school year, 6.2 percent of children had a signed exemption. The national average for exemption rates is estimated at less than 2 percent.

Unvaccinated kids are more likely to catch and spread serious illnesses like whooping cough and measles, which can be prevented by vaccines. Making sure kids have all recommended immunizations protects them, their classmates, friends, and families from preventable diseases. Kids who aren’t fully immunized may be excluded from attending school, preschool, or child care if a disease outbreak occurs.

A health care provider does not need to sign the Certificate of Exemption form for parents or guardians who show membership in a church or religious group that does not allow a health care provider to provide medical care to a child.

Beginning July 22, 2011, parents or guardians who want to exempt their child from school or child care immunization requirements must fill out and submit the updated Certificate of Exemption form to their school or childcare.

More information and an updated Certificate of Exemption form will be available online as soon as the forms are finalized. Health care providers can use the CHILD Profile Immunization Registry to help parents with the necessary paperwork by printing it from the CHILD Profile system.

For help finding a health care provider or an immunization clinic, call your local health agency (www.doh.wa.gov/LHJMap/LHJMap.htm) or the WithinReach (www.withinreachwa.org) Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588.

Visit the Washington Department of Health website at http://www.doh.wa.gov/ for a healthy dose of information.

###

(Bolding is mine.)  I'm PISSED.  They're making it sound like I have to prove my religion in order to get a religious exemption.  Any thoughts on this?

#2 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

so if you aren't religious and you can't get a healthcare provider to sign a form or whatever stating you've been told the risks etc...wth do you do?

af.gif I can't wait to see this popping up in other states across the country.

#3 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Unvaccinated kids are more likely to catch and spread serious illnesses like whooping cough and measles, which can be prevented by vaccines. 

Well damn, if this were true, why do so many vaccinated wind up with these illnesses?

Childhood immunizations save lives and are one of the most effective ways to protect kids from serious, preventable illnesses 

So we hear (over and over again), but there are more effective, safer ways to prevent and treat illness out there, not just good damn conventional medicine being shoved down our throats whether we want it or not!  hopmad.gifHow bout we look OUTSIDE the box for once, eh?

I have three words....power, greed, and complete BS!

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post

Here's the press release:

(Bolding is mine.)  I'm PISSED.  They're making it sound like I have to prove my religion in order to get a religious exemption.  Any thoughts on this?

That is exactly how I am reading it.  That is crap.  So... my family is not "religious".  There has to be another way to get around it.  I still will not vac. 

'09   
#5 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM

This is just ridiculous! splat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

Unvaccinated kids are more likely to catch and spread serious illnesses like whooping cough and measles, which can be prevented by vaccines. 

Well damn, if this were true, why do so many vaccinated wind up with these illnesses?

Childhood immunizations save lives and are one of the most effective ways to protect kids from serious, preventable illnesses 

So we hear (over and over again), but there are more effective, safer ways to prevent and treat illness out there, not just good damn conventional medicine being shoved down our throats whether we want it or not!  hopmad.gifHow bout we look OUTSIDE the box for once, eh?

I have three words....power, greed, and complete BS!

What she said!

The people I have known that get these 'vax preventable' illnesses are the ones who vax!

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#6 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Such a load of propaganda.

I'd like to know how up to date the teachers and administration are on their vaccinations.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM

I am reading this as follows:

- If you NEVER take your kid to a doctor then either

1) you have to show that it is because you are part of a religious group that never takes their kids to a doctor  or

2) You'll have to take your kid to at least ONE doctors appointment to have that doctor sign a form saying they are healthy and that you have been informed of the benefits and risks of vaccination.    This doctor can probably be an osteopath, walk-in clinic, or anyone else who isn't going to hassle you too much.

- If you SOMETIMES take your kid to a doctor then you'll have to have that doctor sign your form.

Yes, this is a hassle if you NEVER use doctors.  If you do use doctors sometimes, then really this is just a minor inconvenience. 

I'm not saying its right, I'd be pissed off too.  All I'm saying is that for most people, this won't be much of a hurdle.

#8 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This sounds similar to what they do in Utah, where I live now.  I'm originally from WA, and hope to be moving back in a year.  Here, you have to go the the health dept to get the form, and you fill it out, a nurse sees you, hands you some "fact" sheets about vaxes, maybe asks if you have any questions and then signs the form as well.  More of a hassle than a form you can download and print yourself, but I didn't have to argue with anyone or make up any religious reasons or anything.  It sounds like if you want to skip the HCP signature then you have to get into the religious reasons.  I don't agree with this law, but it could be much worse. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#9 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yes it could be worse.  I'm moving to Illinois in a few months and I have to lie in order to send my dd to preschool unvaxed.  I will have to make up a religious exemption and I cannot just say "vaccinating is against our personal beliefs."  It actually has to state our specific beliefs or a specific religion that we adhere to that does not allow vaccinating.  I just really feel wrong about it, but I'm not sure what to do.  This country doesn't let parents make this choice for scientific reasons, only religious ones!  irked.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

That is correct. However, there is no requirement that the doctor say the child is healthy, ONLY that the doctor discussed the risks and benefits of vaccines with the parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialistEm View Post

I am reading this as follows:

- If you NEVER take your kid to a doctor then either

1) you have to show that it is because you are part of a religious group that never takes their kids to a doctor  or

2) You'll have to take your kid to at least ONE doctors appointment to have that doctor sign a form saying they are healthy and that you have been informed of the benefits and risks of vaccination.    This doctor can probably be an osteopath, walk-in clinic, or anyone else who isn't going to hassle you too much.

- If you SOMETIMES take your kid to a doctor then you'll have to have that doctor sign your form.

Yes, this is a hassle if you NEVER use doctors.  If you do use doctors sometimes, then really this is just a minor inconvenience. 

I'm not saying its right, I'd be pissed off too.  All I'm saying is that for most people, this won't be much of a hurdle.

#11 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

So if your regular ped refused to sign it then, you could just go to a walk in or something? 
I feel like it could in theory become really difficult for some people to get the things signed. 

#12 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, it can be any M.D., D.O., N.D., physician's assistant, or advanced registered nurse licensed in Washington state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

So if your regular ped refused to sign it then, you could just go to a walk in or something? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page