No Vax at a DoDs school (especially Maxwell AFB) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Military Moms forum or this one so please bear with me.

I have an almost 4 year old son who has not been vaxed.  We are looking to have him start going to the pre-K program on base.  However, the DoDs site states that a child MUST be current on all of their immunizations in order to attend.  From this particular forum, I am aware that there is an AF reg that states that one can have a religious exemption and attend a DoD school.

Is there anyone out there who has successfully been able to have their non-vaxed child attend the Dods school on this base, specifically?   I would love to chat with anyone who has had direct experience with Dods schools in the US - especially at Maxwell.  I am really anxious about a potential 'battle' over this issue.  I have a religious exemption certificate from the state of Alabama but I expect that the base will say that they do not need to accept it because they are on federal property, blah, blah, blah.

I am so grateful to be able to be part of this forum.  I have feeling that I have to stay 'underground' with regards to our choice....

Thanks to everyone who provides their wisdom on this site!!

Nicole

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DODEA
[quote] http://www.dodea.edu/foia/iod/pdf/2942.pdf

DoDEA Manual 2942.0 March 2004/DoDEA Health Service Guide, DS Manual 2942.0

On page 33, Section F2 Immunizations:

"Religious — A child’s parent or guardian may claim exemption for religious
reasons. If the parent maintains the need to continue the religious exemption
during a documented outbreak of a contagious disease, the student will be
excluded from school for his or her protection and the safety of the other
students until the contagious period is over. Religious exemptions require a
written statement from the parent stating that he or she objects to the
vaccination based upon personal beliefs. "[/quote]

cubbbyaf

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=15350333#post15350333
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=15267772#post15267772

For the Dodea form:

http://www.dodea.edu/docs/forms/form_dodea2943.pdf

Quote:
To Whom It May Concern:

In accordance with ARS 15-873, we certify that we have received information about immunizations provided by the department of health services, we understand the risks and benefits of immunizations and the potential risks and benefits of non-immunization; and due to religious/personal beliefs, we do not consent to the immunization of our child, *child's name*.

Sincerely,

your name

Army Regulation 40-562 (also Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard, but reg number) with the sections highlighted that said on pg 10 of the reg in section3-2 b. (4):

[quote]
(4) Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt. For rubella, immunity is based only on documentation of immunization or laboratory
evidence of immunity. Administer influenza vaccine annually to schoolteachers, daycare workers, and volunteers.
In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation
of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication. Installation medical staff will collaborate
with DOD school and daycare center authorities to ensure effective immunization screening procedures. LocalMTFs will appoint liaisons to these facilities to ensure understanding and compliance. For foreign–national children
outside the United States, observe host country recommendations or requirements.[/quote]

and...
[quote]Paragraph 3-2.b.(4) at the bottom of page 10 of

Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F
:

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf

specifically states, "Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt. "[/quote]

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Emmeline,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  I appreciate the links and the information you provided for me.  I am definitely keeping these handy to print out and bring with me when I register my son.  I am also hoping that there may be someone on this site who has had experience at this particular DoDs school so I can have a better sense of what to expect (a big fight or actually having my exemption respected).

Thanks again for your time.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I am trying to open the .pdf file, even went directly to the DoDEA site.....the file is not opening.  Anyone else having any problems accessing this doc?  Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussamama View Post

Well...I am trying to open the .pdf file, even went directly to the DoDEA site.....the file is not opening.  Anyone else having any problems accessing this doc?  Thanks!

They all opened for me from the post though it took about 30sec.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! 

I also found the following DoDEA Administrators Manual (August 2006).  In section 18.2.1.3 (page 70) also provides for religious exemption. Yay!!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List