Introducing myself....mom of 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.  I just found this forum when I was searching about what others who choose not to vaccinate thought about the recent news surrounding the rise in cases of measles.  Anyway, it's been encouraging to read through these posts.

I am a mom to five kids:  b/18; b/16; g/14; g/12; b/10  ----we homeschool all five----

I will admit that just my three boys have received any type of vaccine and it was a tetanus shot after a specific type of injury that each received at various times in their lives.  When we took our oldest in after an injury to get him the tetanus, we were stern that we ONLY wanted that one shot and not the D & P that they try to group together.  After some resistance, we got our way.

I have found it to be very interesting (and am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or theories) that NONE of my five children have ever had the chicken pox.  My oldest (now 18 yr) had blood drawn when he was 17 to see if he had a natural immunity to it but the result was "no".  Now what is very interesting is that my husband has had Shingles five times.  Could there be any connection (or is it coincidence) that none of our "five" kids have had the chicken pox; however, my husband has had Shingles "five" times?  Thoughts?

I have been torn regarding the chicken pox vaccine.  I don't *want* to give-in but keep hearing about the increased dangers if contracting chicken pox as an adult.  Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this & respond.  My gut/heart tells me I'm doing the right thing.  It just seems to be increasing hard to stand firm....especially when some people say that it's "people like YOU (who don't vaccinate) that are causing these diseases to come back".  I don't know how to respond.

I look forward to reading your replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Shingles occurs when your immunity from chicken pox wains and your immune system is low.  You need to be re exposed to CP occasionally to boost your immunity.  Most kids are now vax for CP.  We adults who had it as children are not getting re exposed when our children get it, because there are much fewer cases of it going around.  I have to admit that it was partially for selfish reasons we don't vax for CP, I want my booster when my kids get it.  It is odd though that your children have not gotten CP it can be caught from someone with shingles but not as easily as they have to come into contact with the rash.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Next time your husband has shingles, expose all the kids to the blister fluid if you want them to get chickenpox. Shingles has become common in non-elderly people now because people aren't getting  periodic exposure to the chickenpox virus anymore. The natural boosting from exposure to chickenpox helps prevent shingles. In fact, the shingles vaccine is just a very strong chickenpox vaccine.

It will probably be good for your husband to be around a house full of chickenpox when your kids get it.

You might want to do more research on tetanus and the vaccine. Tetanus is extremely rare--only about 30 cases per year in the United States. Most of those cases are in heroin users and people over 40 years old. The tetanus-only vaccine contains 25 mcg mercury

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM166873.pdf

#4 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

We tried to expose our kids each time my husband had Shingles & they never got the CP. My "concern" is that I figured my kids would just *naturally* get the CP (and I was/am fine with that); however, now that my kids are 18, 16, 14, 12 & 10 (especially concerned about the older two) is that I've been told how much more DANGEROUS it is for adults to get CP.  I feel myself doubting my decision.  I'd love to hear from people who have done more research on adults who have had CP (relatively recently) and who have never had the vaccine nor childhood case of CP.  Is it really something that I should be worrying about if I've now done a disservice to my kids?  On the other hand, I believe that the mere fact we have done nothing to PREVENT them from getting it (and while we do homeschool, we live in California & are active in our church & go to the parks etc...basically .....my kids are NOT "isolated) and none have contracted it makes me think that whatever is meant to be is meant to be.

Yes, I've done LOTS of research on the Shingles & am aware that the naturaly booster adults get from being around those who have CP is what typically keeps Shingles at bay.  I've made the argument to those who are giving their kids the CP vaccine that we'll end up with a society of adults repeatedly getting Shingles instead.  Just my thoughts.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

#5 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If they are never exposed to chickenpox, naturally or from the vaccine, then they can't get shingles. So it's possible it's meant to be.

Yes, chickenpox is meant to be childhood disease, and it is generally more difficult in adulthood, but it's not something I would be afraid of. To minimize complications, avoid Tylenol and definitely avoid any type of steroid medication. I've always known Tylenol is bad for any illness, and I've heard it's bad for chickenpox too, but just to have something to back it it up, I Googled it and found this. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2656959

#6 of 6 Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had CP in college. While it was a bad case and I spent a week in an oatmeal bath - I had no complications and would not vaccinate for CP if I had to do it over again. Nor will I vaccinate my DS for it if he doesn't get it. I just hope he does get it sooner rather than later.

CP CAN be more serious in older teens/adults, doesn;t mean it HAS to be. I believe that many of the complications from CP is cuased not by the virus itself, but from how it is treated (ie tylenol vs homeopathy)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page