Hi! I am new here and have a question! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My name is Lensi and I am a 23 year old mother too my little 23month old non-vaccinated son Rogan.Too all the mothers who did not vaccinate their children until after age 2. What were their reactions to the vaccines? did/will you get them all the vaccines or just some? Did you have other children that you vaccinated from birth that the reactions were different in then the kids you waited until 2 to get vaccinated? I have a almost 2 year old who has never had one vaccine. I wasn't planning on getting him but a few vaccines like (tetanus and meningitis) I was going to get..But now in the last 8 months everything I had planned for has changed. Because I now have a finacee that has 3 kids who all have been vaccinated and are going to school ( I was planning to home school my son because there is a lady around here who does homeschooling in a group of kids) That way my son wouldn't have to be by himself homeschooling. But anyways..Now since he will have other siblings going to regular school I feel like if I don't put him in school he will feel left out! and our school system require vaccines for children to attend. So now I am going ALL o ver the place in my head what I am going to do. I am thinking about him just getting the vaccines after 2..but I am terrified(literally terrified) of the side affects and reactions he might have! I mean right now if my son ever gets a fever I freak completely out!! I just can't stand for him to feel bad! Anyways. I am looking for some major advice of what I should do!! PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 PM

I think you'd have better luck posting this question in the main vax forum. This one is for those of us who have chosen to not vax at all. smile.gif

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 12 Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Go talk to his pedi. Work out a plan. You do not need to give all shots at once. in fact, he will need fewer of some of the shots now.

There is not reason to freak out. If he is unvaccinated and he get measles ...then what?

Everything has risks and benefits.  You doctor can give you broshures that show % wise how risk each vaccine is.

#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Just because his future step siblings will go to school, doesn't mean he has to. There are plenty of families where some biological siblings go to school, and some home school. He might be perfectly happy, even prefer staying home. Or he might want to try out school, and love it. Or he might try out school and decide he'd rather stay home! Every state except for mississippi and west virginia have religious and/or philosophical exemptions. Your options are completely open here. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Are you in the United States? Mississippi and West Virginia are the only states that don't allow exemptions other than medical.

#6 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!!

#7 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and yes I am in GA..I knew they did the religious exemption...Didn't know they did the philosophical exemption..that makes me feel better..but there are some vaccines I did want to get for my child...So it just makes me wonder if since he is older he'll have a worse reaction to them then if he was little.....since he has never had anything like that put into his body

#8 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

So, think from a point of you of science and biology.  What would be a rational reason that a child would have worse reaction  to a vaccine at 2 years than 2 months? If you think logically, the opposite would be true. His immune system is more mature now and is more suited to handle various things. Moreover, if something is not right, he can actually express it to some degree.

Meet with you doctor and go over each shot. Everyone vaccine is different in composition and its effect.

#9 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

So, think from a point of you of science and biology.  What would be a rational reason that a child would have worse reaction  to a vaccine at 2 years than 2 months? If you think logically, the opposite would be true. His immune system is more mature now and is more suited to handle various things. Moreover, if something is not right, he can actually express it to some degree.

Meet with you doctor and go over each shot. Everyone vaccine is different in composition and its effect.

I agree with you here in theory - but in reality there is really no way of knowing is there? I know of several children who were vaxed when they were older and had horrific adverse reactions. But yes overall I would be far more comfortable taking that risk with a child whose immune system has had time to mature a bit.

As for asking your doc. I would say sure go ahead (depending on what kid of doc you have - some are more open than others to having risk/benefit conversations -  but also do your own research and do not rely on him/her to give you all the facts. Frankly I know more about vaccines than my ped does

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogansmommy View Post

Oh and yes I am in GA..I knew they did the religious exemption...Didn't know they did the philosophical exemption..that makes me feel better..but there are some vaccines I did want to get for my child...So it just makes me wonder if since he is older he'll have a worse reaction to them then if he was little.....since he has never had anything like that put into his body

Georgia does NOT have a philisophical exemption. If you intend to get any vaccines you will have to do it BEFORE they start any kind of school. You can file a religious exemption for school, but then you will not be able to get boosters, finish any series you started but stopped etc. Once you file - it's all or nothing.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#11 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I thought with an exemption you could pick and choose, but just put on any enrollment forms that they've had none, per the exemption? If you just went and got a vax silently, would the school find out?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#12 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I thought with an exemption you could pick and choose, but just put on any enrollment forms that they've had none, per the exemption? If you just went and got a vax silently, would the school find out?

If you are enrolled in your state's vaccine registry system they would. Some states you can opt out - some you can't. Also lets say  thay you are not in the system - got a few vaccines on the sly and filed a religious exemption anyway. If there was an outbreak of a VPD at your child's school (and your DC had had the series for that particular disease)- they would still be excluded from school for the appropraite amount of time because as far as the school is concerned - your child is vulnerable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page