Need help with religious exemption letter for NYC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X posted in finding your tribe NY/NJ/PA

I have a 5yo SN child starting Kindergarten in the fall, he has never been faxed at all. A simple letter to the "day care" board sufficed for his preschool, stating that he was not vaxed due to sincere religious beliefs, but I am told by his new public school that it will be much harder to get the exemption from the School Dept of Health. They advised me to do nothing until the fall, but I am concerned that he won't get in the door without something.

He is already neurologically compromised, so now is not the time to start vaxing, and I can honestly say this decision was made with prayer, but I am not a Christian Scientist. For 19 years we have prayed with our Native American friends, (Lakota) so that is our faith, we could also legitimately call ourselves catholic, although the kids are not baptized. (married catholic, and willing to baptize if that would help)

To delay starting school or homeschooling would really be a setback for DS, given the trajectory of his therapy.

Can anyone help, PM me copies of sample letters I could personalize, or show me the ropes on this one?

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post

X posted in finding your tribe NY/NJ/PA

I have a 5yo SN child starting Kindergarten in the fall, he has never been faxed at all. A simple letter to the "day care" board sufficed for his preschool, stating that he was not vaxed due to sincere religious beliefs, but I am told by his new public school that it will be much harder to get the exemption from the School Dept of Health. They advised me to do nothing until the fall, but I am concerned that he won't get in the door without something.

He is already neurologically compromised, so now is not the time to start vaxing, and I can honestly say this decision was made with prayer, but I am not a Christian Scientist. For 19 years we have prayed with our Native American friends, (Lakota) so that is our faith, we could also legitimately call ourselves catholic, although the kids are not baptized. (married catholic, and willing to baptize if that would help)

To delay starting school or homeschooling would really be a setback for DS, given the trajectory of his therapy.

Can anyone help, PM me copies of sample letters I could personalize, or show me the ropes on this one?

I have heard NY can be bery difficult. I wouldn't take any chances. I would contact Gary Krasner at the Center for informed choice for guidance.

http://www.cfic.us/

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Calling him right now!

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In your letter, do not mention ANY safety concerns about vaccines, and do not mention your child's health problems.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

And be careful to word your religious objections (during the interview if they make you do one) so that it is clear that you object to the idea of vaccination as a whole (rather than specific ingredients or how the vaccine is made).

User Tag List