Help me pick a topic for my paper - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok, I'm writing a paper for my composition class and we can choose any topic we want as long as we can prove our point while representing the other side.  I want to do something with vaccines.  My first idea was "Vaccine not responsible for Measles decline".  I likes this one because there are a lot of websites with good info.  And, it's funny to see that the CDC website has a drastically different looking graph from every single other website I found graphs on that showed the decline WAY WAY before the vaccine was introduced (and that same decline was seen in Australia, Japan etc.)

My other idea was that SIDS is linked to vaccines.  Also, that there are 33 nations in the world with lower IMR's even though we have the highest percentage of vaccines given to children accross the country.

If you have another idea OR if you think one of these I have listed is better than the other, please tell me.  Also, if you suggest a topic and have any great links for me, please add them.

Thanks!  And if anyone wants a copy of my paper when I'm done, please pm me and I'll email it when it's completed.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you have great topics above.   I think the article posted on here regarding the infant mortality rate in conjunction with the number of vaccines given per country is very interesting.

There are so many interesting topics on vaccines. Another one that comes to mind is the history on vaccines and how the schedule went from only a few vaccines in the late 70s/early 80s, to now what, 36 vaccines by the age or two (or is it more at this point? I lost count and can't even keep up anymore).  I think all of the marketing/commericals/scare tactics today behind the vaccines is a huge point to make as well. Lots of $$$$ tied into it all. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 04:16 PM

#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Off the top of my head:

the validity of the herd argument

anecdotal evidence as a tool for decision making for parents

whether mumps, rubella and chicken pox should be included in the vax scheduel (may get scienc-y - not sure if you are trying to avoid)

media and vaccines.

Have fun!  Narrow it down and we might be able to link to articles/stats

#5 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Alright, I'm going to link SIDS to vaccines and show the correlation between the number of vaccines given vs. IMR.  Send me your links, ladies!

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page