Well visits? I don't really see a point. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We do some WBVs but not all. I like having a relationship established with our ped however I do not feel it is necessary to do all WVs simply because the weight check is pointless. I will say that with DS1 we did not go from about 1 1/2 years until he was 5 for his kindergarten health check. They did a vision test and a hearing test...and during the hearing test the doctor was concerned about his left ear and recommended I take him to an ENT to get his hearing re-checked. They did a hearing screening at school and he passed so I have not bothered with any additional screening.

For the most part I think a mother is a much better judge of developmental issues than doctors will ever be ~ for no other reason than they see their children each day compared against children of the same age so they know if there is reason to be concerned.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#32 of 49 Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Yes, I do WBV.  We are doing our last six month visit and then will be at once a year for both kiddos.  I feel like I am pretty in touch with my kids' health, but I like to have a professional's view point too, as well as the documentation that I have been caring for them properly should I ever need it (maybe this is paranoid?!)  However, I am very lucky to have found a family doctor who not only supports my choices, but strongly encourages them as well (breastfeeding, intact, co-sleeping, no-vax, etc.) so it is always a pleasant experience to have an appointment.  I am glad that I have a relationship with the practice for when I need it.  I can understand why you would hesitate to do WBV when you have a non-supportive ped though. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#33 of 49 Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 PM
2xy

I did WBV with both of my kids. I probably would do selective visits if I had to do it all over again, but wouldn't skip them completely. I think everyone should have a yearly physical, including babies.

My DS1 got his driver's permit in 2008 and later that same year "flunked" the eye exam at the pediatrician's office. We wouldn't have known his eyes were sucky if he hadn't gone for a check-up; he didn't realize how blurry his vision was until he got glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post

For the most part I think a mother is a much better judge of developmental issues than doctors will ever be ~ for no other reason than they see their children each day compared against children of the same age so they know if there is reason to be concerned.

There are lots of parents who don't socialize with people who have similarly aged children. When my kids were very young, I had a couple of friends with kids....we were all in the military and most of us were too busy to spend time chatting and observing each others' children.

I do believe that informed, educated, intelligent mothers are often more intuitive and can judge their children better than doctors. There are a lot of mothers who don't fit into that category. There are also too many parents who simply don't pay attention to their children or deny that anything could possibly be wrong with their child.

#34 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

There are lots of parents who don't socialize with people who have similarly aged children. When my kids were very young, I had a couple of friends with kids....we were all in the military and most of us were too busy to spend time chatting and observing each others' children.

I do believe that informed, educated, intelligent mothers are often more intuitive and can judge their children better than doctors. There are a lot of mothers who don't fit into that category. There are also too many parents who simply don't pay attention to their children or deny that anything could possibly be wrong with their child.

I would agree although I would contend that parents who do not pay attention to their children and developmental milestones are likely not on this forum doing research about vaccines and asking about WBVs. I would venture to say that the vast majority of non-vaxing parents that have made their decision from an informed point of view (not because they cannot afford it or do not want to bother with it) are paying pretty close attention to their children IMHO. We do not have a ton of friends with children the same age as DS1 (and had none when he was an infant) but I think delays significant enough to be caught at a WBV would likely be noticed even by parents who are not really comparing to other children (coming from being the aunt of a special needs child...his delays were noticeable even on his own...but even more so when I then had a child).

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#35 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I would agree although I would contend that parents who do not pay attention to their children and developmental milestones are likely not on this forum doing research about vaccines and asking about WBVs. I would venture to say that the vast majority of non-vaxing parents that have made their decision from an informed point of view (not because they cannot afford it or do not want to bother with it) are paying pretty close attention to their children IMHO. We do not have a ton of friends with children the same age as DS1 (and had none when he was an infant) but I think delays significant enough to be caught at a WBV would likely be noticed even by parents who are not really comparing to other children (coming from being the aunt of a special needs child...his delays were noticeable even on his own...but even more so when I then had a child). 

Maybe, but issues other than developmental delays are screened for and caught at WBVs (like the cardiac problem upthread). You're just not going to catch on to a heart murmur at home no matter how closely you pay attention to your kids; there are other issues like that which are 'invisible' to parents and onlookers but that a good doctor will pick up on.
#36 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
2xy

Quote:

I would agree although I would contend that parents who do not pay attention to their children and developmental milestones are likely not on this forum doing research about vaccines and asking about WBVs.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the discussion was centered around those children whose parents are on MDC. eyesroll.gif

The blanket statement was made that mothers know more about their children than doctors do. When looking at society from all angles, I can't agree with that statement.

#37 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the discussion was centered around those children whose parents are on MDC. eyesroll.gif

The blanket statement was made that mothers know more about their children than doctors do. When looking at society from all angles, I can't agree with that statement.

Actually ~ NO ~ my original quote was:

"We do some WBVs but not all. I like having a relationship established with our ped however I do not feel it is necessary to do all WVs simply because the weight check is pointless. I will say that with DS1 we did not go from about 1 1/2 years until he was 5 for his kindergarten health check. They did a vision test and a hearing test...and during the hearing test the doctor was concerned about his left ear and recommended I take him to an ENT to get his hearing re-checked. They did a hearing screening at school and he passed so I have not bothered with any additional screening.

For the most part I think a mother is a much better judge of developmental issues than doctors will ever be ~ for no other reason than they see their children each day compared against children of the same age so they know if there is reason to be concerned."

And how would it not be referring to mothers here on MDC since my response was answering the question of an MDC mother here in the MDC forum? Wasn't trying to be snarky but was indeed trying to say that while I think some WVs are worthwhile ~ I do not think that there need be overkill on visits since the vast majority of WVs are centered around vaxing. I never said that mothers know more about their children than doctors do ~ what I said was that I think a mother is a much better judge of developmental issues than doctors ever will be ~ and I stand by that statement having a nephew who is vax damaged and it got little attention from doctors who kept saying he would "catch up"!

#38 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

Maybe, but issues other than developmental delays are screened for and caught at WBVs (like the cardiac problem upthread). You're just not going to catch on to a heart murmur at home no matter how closely you pay attention to your kids; there are other issues like that which are 'invisible' to parents and onlookers but that a good doctor will pick up on.

See my first response ~ I stated I do believe in an established relationship with a ped.

#39 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did well baby visits because both dh's family and my family have a history of major eye issues, and I didn't feel I was able to properly diagnose that. Dh's family also has a history of joint issues and gastrointestinal issues (his sister developed Crohn's disease as a child, dh's had 2 feet of his colon removed). So, regardless of vaxing, I wanted these things monitored.

Ds also had a trigger thumb (the tendon on his thumb got caught and he couldn't unbend his thumb) and it was affecting his fine motor development; he also developed a cyst right next to his eye when he was about 1. We watched that for about 10 months, but it was growing, and eventually decided on surgery to remove it as it was beginning to look like it might threaten his eye (and we had them fix the thumb all at the same time -- coordinating 2 different surgeons was a treat!) I will say it was much easier to get my worries looked at because we had a relationship with a ped. (Ds is also pigeon toed with one foot, and it was easy to get a referral to a pediatric orthopedist. The orthopedic surgeon was very firm that unless ds' gait tripped him up, surgery was worse than have a foot that turns in noticeably. (They'd have to break the femur and realign it.) So, going to a doctor doesn't automatically = lots of intervention.

Dd didn't have anything major other than allergies and highly sensitive skin, but given her brother's issues and the family history, I was just as happy to to do them.

Once they hit 3-4, I got more lax. Now they usually go in every other year if we haven't gone in for an illness, just to have vision checked, and an overall checkup. Ds had to have a physical to go to camp this year, and so we took him in for the first time in 2 or 3 years. He's a remarkably healthy kid, and we've now got an opthomologist to check their eyes.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#40 of 49 Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 PM

We don't vaccinate and do well visits, but we also love our pedi. That has to make a huge difference. She's open minded and really easy to talk to, and I just like to get her eyes on my DD.

I've heard too many stories where tumors in the stomach, neuroblastoma, wilms, were caught early by the pediatrician. Also, my family has had some issues that definitely benefited from a visit to the ped. It all depends on the quality of the Dr. of course.

#41 of 49 Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 AM

To me there is more to the visits than vaccinations alone.

We go for a few reasons aside from vaxing.

It is nice to have a record of my children growing at a healthy, steady rate.

It is nice to have a consistent record of us as parents bringing up concerns/questions regarding the children's health

It is nice to have a long-term aquaintance with a doctor who can vouch for the fact that our children are well-fed, consistently healthy, and well-cared for should some idiot decide to call CPS on us.

It is nice to have built a relationship with a doctor who knows us, and is familiar with our family's particulars and the children's overal health, and who is thus able to make suggestions or bring up concerns based on indiviual knowledge of all of us, rather than with a dependance on charts and numbers. 

eireann likes this.
#42 of 49 Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

To me there is more to the visits than vaccinations alone.

We go for a few reasons aside from vaxing.

It is nice to have a record of my children growing at a healthy, steady rate.

It is nice to have a consistent record of us as parents bringing up concerns/questions regarding the children's health

It is nice to have a long-term aquaintance with a doctor who can vouch for the fact that our children are well-fed, consistently healthy, and well-cared for should some idiot decide to call CPS on us.

It is nice to have built a relationship with a doctor who knows us, and is familiar with our family's particulars and the children's overal health, and who is thus able to make suggestions or bring up concerns based on indiviual knowledge of all of us, rather than with a dependance on charts and numbers. 

Ding!

#43 of 49 Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

We stopped doing that when my oldest was a baby. Her first was really awkward. It was a group setting (AT KAISER) and I was told to get her naked and lay her out on the table and wait for the doctor. I was 19 and the only mother who got her undressed up until the diaper, wrapped her in a blankie and held her in my arms! No thanks! I went to a couple after that but they were a little better than that. I do agree though, when I think about all the reasons why kids go to the doctors 'because they're healthy' isn't one of them. We have taken our kids for a physical last year and I have to do it again because one of my sons threw away the ss cards a few years ago and you have to have medical proof of some sort to get new ones. (Blah, blah, blah.) But, we really don't do them. After the last two kids were born I took them in to get looked over, doc said they were fine and we never returned. The only reason we ever go to the ER is injury (like once a year someone gets hurt) and once the baby got croup.

I agree though, having an experienced mama around does change things a lot. It's nice to be able to ask "WWYD" and get answers for the everyday thing. I won't ever take my kids in for the sniffles, let alone just because.

Edit: Post note thinking lol. At the rate we have kids, the doctor had a pretty great relationship with us. He saw the kids at almost every prenatal visit, plus the baby visit. We're thinking about making the annual physical a thing around here. Couldn't hurt, right?

#44 of 49 Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTooMama View Post

We stopped doing that when my oldest was a baby. Her first was really awkward. It was a group setting (AT KAISER) and I was told to get her naked and lay her out on the table and wait for the doctor. I was 19 and the only mother who got her undressed up until the diaper, wrapped her in a blankie and held her in my arms! No thanks!

Kaiser is notorious for those group appointments. They think it is okay to make mental health patients go to group appointments every three months in order to get refills on their meds. I don't know how they get away with that, since it is pretty much disclosing to a big group of people that you have a medical condition. But I digress.

We did all of the well baby appointments with DD, but I think we might not do as many with this baby. We're looking for a doctor that supports non-vax/selective vax patients. We have vaccine allergy issues in our family, so that is important.

Honestly, though, DD has been very healthy. She got pneumonia once when we all got bacterial pneumonia, and has had an ear infection. Other than that, the only other time we've gone aside from a well visit was for a broken arm. The doctor didn't think it was broken, but after a day or two of DD complaining, I knew something was wrong. We took her back and asked for a x-ray, and sure enough she had two breaks. That was more of an issue with DD having a high pain tolerance than the doctor not catching it. She was moving it and climbing around the office, so they assumed it was a sprain.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#45 of 49 Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

It is nice to have a long-term aquaintance with a doctor who can vouch for the fact that our children are well-fed, consistently healthy, and well-cared for should SOME IDIOT decide to call CPS on us.

Yes, it is nice to have that!! I am very thankful that I spent the $20 co-pay for them, so much cheaper then a lawyer and saved a lot of heartache.

Done with diapers!!

#46 of 49 Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Nope, we just took them in once so we could get 'proof' for the birth certificates. The second one I refused to do prenatal 'care' or ultrasounds after Gloria Lemay clued me into how they are not safe at all. They are both healthier than horses! I recommend the book by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor. It really does help put you at ease, especially if you are a new mom. 

I also looked at the kids I knew growing up, the ones who would be shuttled off to the ped for every sniffle ended up getting even sicker after all the interventions were over with.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#47 of 49 Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM

We take our DD to WBV for a few reasons.

First and foremost, to set up a relationship between her and her doctor. I would hate for my DD to be feeling unwell or injured and then have to be in a strange place with a strange person poking and proding her. I want her to get used to what a doctor is, what the clinic looks like, the feel of a stethoscope on her chest, etc.

Also, I think it is important for people to get yearly physicals to maintain good health and know of potentially harmful diseases before they get too much of a hold on them (like cervical or testicular cancers). I think it helps establish good routines.

I also like to take her so that I can get a feel for the doctor's ways at a tie that I am not distressed about the health of my DD.

That said, we take her for WBV, but do not take her for illnesses unless we feel she is really ill. I def. wouldn't take her for a cold or something like that. (unless it was prolonged or she was having breathing problems or something).

ETA: we really like our Ped. and do not feel at all harassed about our parenting style.

Alenushka likes this.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#48 of 49 Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post.....I refused to do prenatal 'care' or ultrasounds after Gloria Lemay clued me into how they are not safe at all.

I have looked on my own but cannot find any documented evidence that diagnostic ultrasound is unsafe. What is Ms. Lemay's source for this claim?

Alenushka likes this.
#49 of 49 Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 AM

IMO the only point to well baby/clinic sisters are weighing, measuring and vaccinating...all things I'm not interested in really (as long as my baby is thriving of course)

I've also heard so much terrible advice given by the sisters at some of the clinics I'd rather people stayed faaaaaar away from them!

We did take my eldest to the paed a few times, mainly cause he had a ventouse delivery and we wanted to make sure all his skull plates were nicely settled etc, also he had hydrocele which we knew nothing about and were told we needed to have checked out.

We thought we'd done our homework and chosen a paed carefully so we wouldn't have one that over-prescribed or would hassle us about vaxing and all seemed to be ok in the visits.  He charged us a small fortune for 5 minutes of weighing, measuring and answering a few questions, but he didn't hassle us.

When my second was born we combined her 6 week checkup with a check up on my eldest...and we were blatantly lied to by the paed.  He told us my son required urgent and necessary surgery or his life was in danger, but when we saw a urologist for a second opinion he confirmed to us that it was purely a COSMETIC surgery.

He was quite happy to put my son under, cut him and endanger his life for nothing major.

And that is the last time I went to the paed!

Luckily my midwife now runs a weekly meet for pregnant and post partum moms & babes, there you can weigh, measure, chat and ask advice if you want.  She recommends certain natural and homeopathic remedies for certain basic ailments and advises when it's better to go see a paed/doctor.  Far nicer than waiting in the queue with a bunch of sick people and being rushed in and out 5 minutes later smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page