Would you purposefully expose your children to chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.

We don't vaccinate.

One of our friends sons is 3 and has the chicken pox. He is still contagious.

I am thinking of exposing my 2 boys. They are 5 and 7. They have never been exposed to chicken pox before that I know of. I worry about them contracting it as adults and I would prefer them to be exposed as children. On one hand, I want them to have immunity, but on the other hand it seems so awful to purposefully expose them to a disease that has killed people.

I would appreciate some input from those of you with more wisdom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes, I would. In fact, I'm trying to find someone local who has it so I can have a playdate with my 5yo, who hasn't had it yet.

If your kids get it, can you send me a lollipop that they slobbered all over so I can give it to my boy? :)

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm SO glad my kids got CP. Thank-you to DH for getting Shingles ;)

I would give it a try. Better to get it now than later. As far as killing people, so has the common cold in certain cases. If your children have normal immune systems, I wouldn't worry about it. CP is not much fun though, so be prepared for some grumpy kiddos for a few days!

*edited for gammer :)

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass chick View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.

We don't vaccinate.

One of our friends sons is 3 and has the chicken pox. He is still contagious.

I am thinking of exposing my 2 boys. They are 5 and 7. They have never been exposed to chicken pox before that I know of. I worry about them contracting it as adults and I would prefer them to be exposed as children. On one hand, I want them to have immunity, but on the other hand it seems so awful to purposefully expose them to a disease that has killed people.

I would appreciate some input from those of you with more wisdom.

Hey!  Where are you???  May I come crash the party?  winky.gif  I'm only half-kidding....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 08-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just exposed my 3 yr old to chicken pox 12 days ago. Technically we're still in the incubation period, so I don't know if he "caught" it.  If it doesn't happen for us this time, then I'm hoping we'll come across it again someday. 

ETA: Chickenpox parties were very common when I was a kid and there was no vaccine.  My mom exposed me when a friend's child had it.  I remember waking up one morning, my mom looked at me and (with a big smile) said, "You have chicken pox!!!" I was about 5.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Too many variables at play. I'm not really one to purposely seek out illness, although I'm not against other people making the decision to expose their kids. 

Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Absolutely.  I hope I can find a child with chicken pox for my soon-to-be child to play with before we hit school age.  The chicken pox vaccine or "proof of disease" are mandatory for school here.  I am much more at ease dealing with a case of the chicken pox than I am feeling forced to vaccinate for it!!  Just have oatmeal baths at the ready! :)

Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Yup. When I was a kid, my sister came down with CP. First thing my mom did was fill up the tub and plop us both in.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I selectively vaccinate on my own schedule, but yes, I would expose my children to chicken pox.  I never thought I would say that, but I much prefer that to them getting the vaccine.  

Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Absolutely, especially at those ages. You might not get another chance before they are teenagers.

I'm assuming they are of normal health and are not taking steroidal medication.

It's best to not give them any medication for fever.

In 2004, Mothering Magazine had an article about chickenpox parties.

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wimer.html

Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Another vote here for purposeful exposure to CP! I remember at least one CP party at the neighbor's house when I was a kid, but didn't get it. Probably was too shy to get close enough to get exposed thoroughly. I caught it in my 20's from the kiddos I was a nanny for and it was one of the worst experiences of my life!!! Seriously.

My fever spiked at night a few nights in a row and I was hallucinating and I lived by myself and no one really wanted to get near me lol so I just toughed it out.

In retrospect I'm glad I got it over with before I have my own kids though.

Lavender essential oil is really great at calming the itchies and calamine lotion or a blend together :)

As an aside all the kids I know that have gotten the vax have gotten cp anyways...

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Most likely I would yes

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM

I would most definitely! I welcome a playdate with natural chicken pox!!! I secretly await for the school's to get an outbreak so we can go there and walk around! LOL! I am certain, although it's been some time ago that I did that research because it seems STUPID to get a shot for something that is so simple, children/people do not die from chicken pox. They die from secondary infections. You sound like a great mama who wants the best health for your children. I am sure you would be attentive enough to know when something is not right or when fever or infection are dangerous. You are not just going to expose them, and leave them all day to head to work! (Hopefully!)  Certainly you have adequate sanitation, would provide good nutrition and hydration, and comfort and rest! One tip: when I got chicken pox, my family had a beach trip planned and we went ahead with it. one swim in the ocean, my pox dried right up and I have life long immunity! It was perfect!!! Just an idea in case that's a possibility for you! I know we have decided we are doing that if our children ever get exposed! Maybe you could sea salt their bath water???

Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM

It's also a good idea to go to chickenpox parties even after your kids have gotten it, to give them the natural immunity boosters that nature intended for protection from shingles. Adults need the exposure too. 

Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 AM

I *really* want to get my kids exposed as my eldest just turned 10 and is rapidly heading into when it will be more dangerous to get it. My mom had shingles a year or 2 ago & I didn't even think of trying to get it from that.

I'd be actively looking right now, but I'm pregnant & neither my mom nor I remember if I ever had them. Dh definitely did, he's been against me trying to expose the kids because he had such a miserable experience.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM

Just wondering if you went, and if the kids caught CP - I am looking to expose my daughter and I'm looking for active outbreaks (preferably in Illinois, but I may be open to travel or at least paying to ship some lollypops).

Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

It's also a good idea to go to chickenpox parties even after your kids have gotten it, to give them the natural immunity boosters that nature intended for protection from shingles. Adults need the exposure too. 

I had shingles at age 28.  I had no children and was unaware that there was even a chicken pox vaccine that nearly all children were getting.  The doctor who diagnosed me said it was due to "stress" because I was in grad school.  headscratch.gif  I'd had a nasty case of CP when I was 13, too.

I wonder how many more cases there are of young adults getting shingles. 

I will seriously board an airplane to get to a party.  Just name the time and place!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

I not only would. I have. Twice. They haven't caught it yet.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 PM

I am a not-a-mama yet lurker. But I had shingles at the age of 17.  (I am 22 now and this was after the introduction of the CP vaccine).  I had chicken pox at the age of 3 or 4.

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I chickened out (excuse the pun) and didn't expose my children to the pox. Partly because DH was not totally on board with it, partly because my son was already sick with a bad cold and I wasn't sure what effect that would have on his immune system and recovering from chicken pox, and partly because our week was so busy and I missed the infectious time that they would have needed to be exposed. I did do research about the incubation period, the infectious period and what to do to ease the symptoms. So I'm keeping my ears and eyes open for the next outbreak. Thank you all for your advice. I feel more comfortable now that I've done my research and gotten some opinions. :)

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

I'm SO glad my kids got CP. Thank-you to DH for getting Shingles ;)

I would give it a try. Better to get it now than later. As far as killing people, so has the common cold in certain cases. If your children have normal immune systems, I wouldn't worry about it. CP is not much fun though, so be prepared for some grumpy kiddos for a few days!

*edited for gammer :)

that was how my kids got it.  Even 3 (out of 6) of my vaccinated kids still broke out.   Not as bad, but they still had spots all over.   It was not as bad as even my mom made it out to be.  They are uncomfortable (about 4 and up) from scratching but otherwise, it was not bad at all.  My dd was born after the "outbreak" and if I can find another family with the pox, I will have a play date. :)

Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I had shingles at age 28.  I had no children and was unaware that there was even a chicken pox vaccine that nearly all children were getting.  The doctor who diagnosed me said it was due to "stress" because I was in grad school.  headscratch.gif  I'd had a nasty case of CP when I was 13, too.

I wonder how many more cases there are of young adults getting shingles. 

I will seriously board an airplane to get to a party.  Just name the time and place!

I believe that I got shingles when I was in my mid 20's...around 25.  I had a stressful life at the time and was sick all the time.  I got this weird cold sore on my head just above my eyebrow that just would not go away, I was treating it with some sort of cream, and it cracked and was red and fissured, and I had a headache in that part of my head for weeks.  It was scabbed over and there were these deep shooting pains both burning and itching in my head, and they made me dizzy.  I can't even describe it. In any event, I thought it was shingles, but I had only one lesion, so I decided it couldn't be.  It took two months to go away, and I worked in retail and never took any time off, never went to the doctor, so if it was shingles, I probably infected many people.  It left a noticeable scar on my head too.  

Anyway, I'm hoping that was a mild case of shingles and I don't get them again, but I guess shingles are common in the elderly.  I had chicken pox when I was about 6, I think.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Yes, I definitely would at those ages if they are otherwise healthy with good immune systems.

Happy and in love with my family!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thankfully, my son got it at 5 years old from a vaxed kid at a playground. I was all prepared for it but he only came down with a bad fever for 2 days and broke out with a total of 4 spots.

Last year again in my home school group, a vaxed kid came to the park (without knowing he had it) and got a really really bad case of it, passed it to other kids in the group. Of the 20 kids he saw that day, 7 other (fully vaxed) kids got it-.

My daughter who was 6 got it and my son didn't.

Again, my daughter just came down with a bad fever for 2 days and then only had 3 spots. 

I do assume that our lifestyle of good food with strong immune systems helped both of my kids get it and CP end up being super easy. (not saying this is an absolute, but I do know it always helps!)

I did at first wonder what would happen if my son was around it again-with the thought, that his CP was way to easy, I wonder if it really did give him immunity! Apparently it did. My son was also the one who was most around and all over playing with the infected friend.

One day I hope the same thing happens to my new little one! (just not yet!) wink1.gif

DS 11

DD 6

DD 6 months

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I would absolutely expose my kids to it.  Some nationalities do not do well with chicken pox, those from countries that have never even heard of it.  But, if you are in a country where it is a fairly common thing, then yes I would.  I do not vaccinate and I believe that vaccines can cause a lot of harm and are not always/maybe never effective, so I would not take the risk of vaccinating for something so small and non-life threatening knowing that it probably wont even be effective.

The article that ma2two posted is great by the way, I highly recommend it!!  http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wimer.html 

Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes I would. I am hoping to find the pox before April when the new baby is due. My son has never had a vax and my daughter was a victim of my ignorance and got hers up to a year. I hope she can gain some sort of natural immunity by getting the pox.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM

It's hard to find other kids with pox.  Has anyone considered exposing your children to an older person with shingles in order to catch chicken pox?  From what I read, people can catch chicken pox from exposure to someone with shingles.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 PM

I would and did! We went to a CP party 2wks ago. I'm still waiting to see if it took, fingers crossed, but if not, i'll look for another outbreak of CP to expose him to. I think it's much to risky to get CP as a person gets older, it's better if they get it now! My son is not vaccinated by the way!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM

I would purposely infect my children with the pox via pox party if I had to do it over again. I write this to you as my 18 year old who received her first vaccination in 2001 sits infected on my couch. Her case was much worse as a young adult than if I had exposed her as a smaller child. This vaccine is bogus, and now, seemingly to me, just another way for pharma companies to not only make money off of the vaccination, but also the booster (that is only good for 10 years btw) , plus the doctor visit to certify that it was indeed pox, along with the benadryl, tylenol, and hydrocortizone I had to buy in addition to the anti-viral medication that the doctor called in because she was breaking out so fast and so bad. It actually scared me. I have three other children who are younger and am praying that they get it too.

The argument against it, I know secondary infections and complications are possible, but not as many as experiencing it as an adult or older child.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM

I tried as well, without success. We did physical contact and lollipops to no avail. I'm frustrated and hope to try again next year but not terribly optimistic as it is so incredibly rare around here. Plus, it seems most of the forums where I would learn about it block any type of post re cp parties. sigh.

User Tag List